Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-10-09 11:14:17

Destry
Website

AMP announced

A couple days ago, Google, apparently, announced the Accelerated Mobile Pages project. Open source. The spec is here.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more rumblings of this in the front-end circles, but I suspect there will be once they get wind of it.

It seems to be a subset of HTML — “AMP HTML” — that associates with a specific amount of JavaScript and whatnot to take most of the performance decisions out of the equation for front-end people. There are few number of elements that are banned in the spec (iframe, frameset, object, applet, embed, etc… even form and inputs), which have probably been re-addressed in the processing somehow. I haven’t looked at it in much detail.

A lot of media publishers (even WordPress.com) are on board with this already, and not surprisingly because they are at the forefront (and economically concerned) about their content reaching people on mobile devices without performance being a constant issue.

Will be interesting to watch.

#2 2015-10-13 14:18:53

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: AMP announced

I’ve been trying to figure out how to tell Google the URL to find the AMP version – and I think I have figured it out now.

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/world/middleeast/palestinian-attacks-israel-violence.html" />
<link rel="alternate" href="http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/world/middleeast/palestinian-attacks-israel-violence.html" />
<link rel="amphtml" href="http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/world/middleeast/palestinian-attacks-israel-violence.amp.html" />

Wordpress.com has added support as well as a plugin.

<link rel="canonical" href="https://en.blog.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/engineering-happiness-brazil/" />
<link rel="amphtml" href="https://en.blog.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/engineering-happiness-brazil/amp/" />

There are probably a couple of different ways to do this in Textpattern.

Minor Update: There is actually a discussion about this. Google forcing people to reverse-engineer existing examples is probably not a Best Practice.

Last edited by michaelkpate (2015-10-13 18:29:20)

#3 2015-10-13 17:00:24

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I see they are pushing Schema.org microformats as a prerequisite for this markup. Interesting.

#4 2015-10-13 18:40:17

maniqui
Website

So, after all these years of tackling the responsive way to have “one website to rule them all”, are we heading back to have one desktop website and one mobile website? Or am I missing something?

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2015-10-13 19:46:53

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

maniqui wrote #295697:

So, after all these years of tackling the responsive way to have “one website to rule them all”, are we heading back to have one desktop website and one mobile website? Or am I missing something?

Apparently. Many people see this as a reaction to Facebook’s Instant Articles – which also required some custom formatting.

The advantage to this is that anyone can do it – but that is only an advantage if you see this as something you want to do.

#6 2015-10-13 20:29:42

Destry
Website

Probably meant for big media players, anyway, not the peon, even if they can climb aboard. And I’m sure ad wheeling and dealing is going to be a big factor here too. It is Google and publishers, after all.

Last edited by Destry (2015-10-13 20:31:32)

#7 2015-10-14 08:05:56

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

We decided to focus entirely on static content as it lends itself to more radical optimization approaches that are easier to apply across the board. (www.ampproject.org/how-it-works/)

This is the problem for me. Or do I misunderstand something?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#8 2015-10-14 10:54:28

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Well, the AMP blog post isn’t actually compliant with Schema microformats, so I guess they need to do more work on the whole thing. I wonder how Google will monetarize this though, since that is their stated aim.

“We welcome this project because it accelerates the consumption of mobile content and preserves the business model that finances quality journalism.”

#9 2015-10-14 11:03:54

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote #295717:

I wonder how Google will monetarize this though

Advertising. Google’s version. That’s why it’s focused on publishers/journalism. It’s a big move away from the injected third-party crap that comes from the IAB worshippers. I expect an emphasis on text ads and advertorials, stuff that doesn’t drag a site down when loading scripts. That’s why all the stripping down of the markup (a focus on static), with dynamic stuff handled by their JavaScript file.

This is my guess.

#10 2016-02-24 19:09:42

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

In just over four months, AMP has come a long way, with hundreds of publishers, scores of technology companies and ad-tech businesses all taking part in this joint mission to improve the mobile web for everyone. And starting today, we’ll make it easy to find AMP webpages in relevant mobile search results, giving you a lightning-fast reading experience for top stories. – AMPing up in mobile Search

This past October, Google announced Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP), a very accessible framework for creating fast-loading mobile web pages. The open-source initiative is designed to enable publishers to easily improve speed (and consequently, the user experience) for their mobile readership without sacrificing any ad revenue that they may rely upon. Although experienced developers can often achieve similar results through intensive performance optimizations, publishers often neglect this due to resource constraints. AMP allows these optimizations to be easily achieved without altering the primary mobile web experience. There’s also the added benefit of its future usage by Google and other prominent web technology companies, who are encouraging its use by integrating it heavily into their respective platforms. – How To Get Started With Accelerated Mobile Pages

#11 2016-02-24 20:27:11

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Sorry but I fail to see the relevance – this is Google’s Apple News rival and not something to do with Textpattern.

#12 2016-02-25 02:58:28

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

philwareham wrote #297989:

Sorry but I fail to see the relevance – this is Google’s Apple News rival and not something to do with Textpattern.

Textpattern is software that allows for news publishers to publish.

Nilay Patel wrote in The Verge that “Apple News and Facebook Instant Articles are a sad refutation of the open web revolution,” but it does not have to be this way. It is also unrealistic to expect the long tail of global news publishers to publish and republish their content into an endless array of proprietary content management systems. The technologies of the web can be extended via AMP to support a truly open system. – Nuzzel Now Supports AMP

It certainly isn’t relevant for everyone, especially people that are doing more static showcase sites, but for anyone doing a blog or a magazine or something similar I think all of this is relevant.

Board footer