Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-10-06 17:19:18

uli

[forum] CSS: Limited height on pre

In postings containing diagnostics it is quite tedious to read the long lines with plugin lists or disabled php-functions because it’s necessary to go beyond the displayed width, and that needs accessing the horizontal scrollbar. These, though, are often hidden deep deep below the fold (example).

Something like

pre {
    max-height: 40em;
    max-height: 50vh;
}

… would help enormously.

A propos code display: Tabs copied from users’ text editors are displayed with 8 blanks in FF (FF default), often forcing scroll bars to be displayed, likewise.

code {
    -moz-tab-size: 4;
      -o-tab-size: 4;
         tab-size: 4;
}

… would make that easier to read and consistent with SAF/Chrome.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#2 2015-10-07 06:52:28

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: [forum] CSS: Limited height on pre

Ok, good idea. I’ll roll this into the next forum update.

#3 2015-10-07 09:10:18

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #295442:

Ok, good idea.

Yes please! one less rule in my user stylesheet.
On a slightly related note, could the font-size for posts be bumped up a little? It is real hard on the old eyes. Tia.

From my user stylesheet:

.postright { font: 15px/1.45 'Helvetica Neue' !important; }
textarea { font-size: 14px !important; }

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#4 2015-10-07 09:25:37

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #295446:

On a slightly related note, could the font-size for posts be bumped up a little? It is real hard on the old eyes. Tia.

This is on my to-do list (it also relates to the new docs site and the .com site design. I’ve been playing with a few options – I’m going to have to keep 13px at mobile size due to the screen footprint of the forum layout, but am trying out 14px and 16px font sizes for larger screens at the moment.

#5 2015-10-07 11:19:55

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote #295448:

This is on my to-do list (it also relates to the new docs site and the .com site design. I’ve been playing with a few options – I’m going to have to keep 13px at mobile size due to the screen footprint of the forum layout, but am trying out 14px and 16px font sizes for larger screens at the moment.

That’s good to hear. I’m in the “old eyes” camp, and I’m pretty sure 20 years of working at computer screens is the cause of me having to wear glasses (in the last 3 years) now.

For what it’s worth, I like the single-column thing going on in docs so far. When font size goes up, that will look better, and when other elements like images and whatnot are added, copy can wrap them and it will look better still. I’d prefer that approach over a two-column layout that leaves a big empty gap underneath the column when doc pages are long, which many doc pages will be. There are also some tables that benefit from the width too, like in the roles and privs doc.

The exception would be if you put the column in the main container and wrap content around the column too. That could workable, perhaps.

Two cents.

#6 2015-10-07 11:26:22

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #295448:

This is on my to-do list … 16px font sizes.

Great!

16px FTW.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#7 2015-10-07 13:16:27

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #295450:

I’d prefer that approach over a two-column layout that leaves a big empty gap underneath the column when doc pages are long, which many doc pages will be. There are also some tables that benefit from the width too, like in the roles and privs doc.

Or you can have a fixed right column like I did here

Options… options…

#8 2015-10-07 13:32:34

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote #295453:

Or you can have a fixed right column like I did here

Not bad, not bad. In that case you might want to leave table text, specifically, the height it is, or some tables will be pretty squishy, even on desktop.

#9 2015-10-07 13:42:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’m just conscious of by omitting the 2nd column, there is not the easy pathway through the site to other content.. and dare I say it, nowhere for adverts (yes we need to accommodate those too as they provide us a trickle of revenue as developers).

As I say, options. I haven’t come to a final decision as yet. I do prefer single column layouts but I have to also be practical about what the site is for.

Saying that, the homepage is a single column affair.

Board footer