Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-09-15 09:00:47

Destry
Website

[forum] Labeling and descriptions revisions

I’ve taken the liberty to revise some of the sub-form labels and descriptions. Descriptions in particular were a little awkward and broken in places so those should be irrefutable improvements.

But here are some specific changes worth pointing out for the sake of not shattering anyone’s glass menagerie:

1. In the “Showcase your Textpattern site” area, I’ve added a note that sites shared there are likely being added to We Love Txp, because they are. Bert monitors that area and adds all new sites to his new gallery. I learned this from the CSF entry. I don’t use “TXP” on that link, however, because these are “Textpattern” websites, not “TXP” websites like his assumed brand now has people believe. You may think it’s trivial, but I’m sure Bert recognizes it’s not. Some of you may argue the link is unwarranted, particularly as it’s not a Txp-owned platform, but I think it is warranted in this case, because people should know if/where their site is being mentioned online, when it is. Bert does inform the site owner that it’s been added, but does so after the fact. It’s not an opt-in by default, rather you request out afterwards. Harmless in this case, but not everyone likes that inverse logic.
  2. I changed the label from “How do I…? And other questions” to just “How?” and made it more clear in the description. I mean, seriously, it’s short, succinct, and clear. But perhaps too spartan for some tastes. “How do I…?” could also work, but when you get down to it, it’s just extra words communicating the same thing.

Other changes should be obvious, but nothing debatable, I would hope. Though I brace myself for the speeding train.

#2 2015-09-15 09:04:45

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [forum] Labeling and descriptions revisions

Destry wrote #294821:

I changed the label from “How do I…? And other questions” to just “How?” and made it more clear in the description. I mean, seriously, it’s short, succinct, and clear. But perhaps too spartan for some tastes. “How do I…?” could also work, but when you get down to it, it’s just extra words communicating the same thing.

I think “How to…” is a standard wording for this.

#3 2015-09-15 09:15:49

Destry
Website

One problem I see with “How to…” is it puts the context of the sub-forum on explanations (or tutorials) rather than user questions from people having specific needs.

In the tech writing realm, a “how to” is a content type (just like a “FAQ”, “author bio”, etc) that explains how to do something (whether or not in response to a question from some other vector). So to my mind, using a label like that would suggest a list of one-way “How to” tutorials, which are better suited to docs, or TXP Tips. Here we are inviting users to ask questions from their point of view.

#4 2015-09-15 09:36:14

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

You are right, but presently we have both kinds of content under “How to”: questions/answers and tips. Maybe “How to..?”, but I leave it with you.

#5 2015-09-15 09:40:52

Destry
Website

etc wrote #294825:

but presently we have both kinds of content under “How to”: questions/answers and tips.

Also true, but generally in situations like this the responses are assumed along with the questions (the basis). So it’s okay to head it from the question perspective. Thus “How?” or, as I’m fine with, “How do I…?” would be clear enough.

And remember the description also serves a purpose. ;)

Last edited by Destry (2015-09-15 09:43:42)

#6 2015-09-15 09:57:08

Destry
Website

Forgot to mention a third specific…

Under the “Textpattern platforms and channels” area, I didn’t add a link for .net, which would normally count as a “owned” platform. That’s because the new docs platform is at “docs.textpattern.io” (which I should add), and it would be confusing to link them both.

Which raises a question I’ve hinted to before somewhere but still haven’t seen an answer to: What’s going to happen to .net?

The new docs are progressing nicely and it won’t be much longer before they are fully ported (if but organized differently and rewritten). So does .net go into retirement and redirect to new docs location? That seems reasonable, considering the interest to not rely on domains owned by Dean.

#7 2015-09-15 12:31:19

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #294829:

That’s because the new docs platform is at “docs.textpattern.io” (which I should add), and it would be confusing to link them both.

Which raises a question I’ve hinted to before somewhere but still haven’t seen an answer to: What’s going to happen to .net?

Keep the docs on docs.textpattern.io, 301 redirect the former locations on textpattern.net to docs.textpattern.io by way of an .htaccess, traffic will divert. .net suffered with link rot and stagnation after you left it alone, DW – and now you’re back I am certain the new site will be far more effectively curated, so nature (and SERPs) will take their course. When (not if) textpattern.net drops then everything will have moved to a proper home and the .net era will be closed.

*raises a glass*

#8 2015-09-15 12:32:44

jstubbs
Website

@Destry – very nice work! I think the notes you’ve added are quite succinct and to the point. “How?” is very good actually…

#9 2015-09-15 12:38:05

jstubbs
Website

Destry wrote #294821:

In the “Showcase your Textpattern site” area, I’ve added a note that sites shared there are likely being added to We Love Txp, because they are. Bert monitors that area and adds all new sites to his new gallery. I learned this from the CSF entry. I don’t use “TXP” on that link, however, because these are “Textpattern” websites, not “TXP” websites like his assumed brand now has people believe. You may think it’s trivial, but I’m sure Bert recognizes it’s not.

I’ve just registered textpattern.tips. Thanks Destry.

#10 2015-09-15 12:53:40

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #294829:

What’s going to happen to .net?

textpattern.net will be retired and a global 301 redirect put in place. I’ll look at moving the forum off .com too in due course.

#11 2015-09-15 13:05:06

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote #294835:

a global 301 redirect put in place

Thank you. That’s a relief. A lot of consolidation happening in the edits, so a list of individual page redirects would have been a big chore.1 We’re taking the sensible (non-paid) way out. Good plan.

@Jstubbs: Merci.

1 For safe keeping: The ill-maintained global inventory.

#12 2015-09-15 14:15:59

uli

I’m quite happy with the removal of “and other questions”, I always thought it might have indicated that forum served as a collecting tank for “all the rest”.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer