Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2015-09-10 02:13:06

maverick
Website

Re: Ability to install plugins from Github

An fyi update in case it is of help to anyone:

There are currently 225 245 Textpattern plugin repositories under MST-Texptpattern

• Several repositories contain more than one plugin.
  • Several repositories are variations of the same plug uploaded and modified by different people
  • Some plugins duplicate the functionality of each other
  • Some plugins are obsolete and/or have been superseded by another plugin or by core functionality
  • All told, there is a net availability of more than 225 245 individual plugins

Thanks to Petri’s (kuopassa) plugin, the number of “stars” for a given repo on Github is shown, as well as the name, description, and whether the plugin is installed. The option to install is given, and pulls up the compressed txt file.

Last edited by maverick (2015-09-10 02:29:47)

#26 2015-09-10 02:25:44

bici
Website Mastodon

maverick wrote #294594:

An fyi update in case it is of help to anyone:

There are currently 225 Textpattern plugin repositories under MST-Texptpattern

link please.

…. texted postive

#27 2015-09-10 02:29:25

maverick
Website

bici wrote #294595:

link please.

MST-Textpattern

Bici – this is my collection of all things Textpattern, so there are additional repos for Textpattern Templates, Themes, etc. The bulk are Txp Plugins, though.

kuopossa’s Github View for Textpattern Plugins and Themes is a rather handy way to view them.

Last edited by maverick (2015-09-10 02:31:34)

#28 2015-09-10 02:37:24

bici
Website Mastodon

thnanks. but i think we are creating confusion,,,if we go here:
https://github.com/MST-Textpattern
we see only your collection.

from this link https://github.com/textpattern-community
we get the impression that the link at the bottom links to ALL plugins, that are available for Textpattern.

is there a top-level well curated list of plugins à la Devot-ee.com ?

…. texted postive

#29 2015-09-10 02:52:25

bici
Website Mastodon

maverick wrote #294596:

MST-Textpattern

kuopossa’s Github View for Textpattern Plugins and Themes is a rather handy way to view them.

thanks. this plugin Viewer asks us to install:
kuo_github_plugins

but its nowhere to be found here where i expected it would be.

…. texted postive

#30 2015-09-10 02:58:33

maverick
Website

Bici – yes, there is room for confusion.

As you noted, the link I shared is to my personal collection, not a community collection.

I shared my collection only to be helpful. I originally never intended it for public promotion, but only for personal use. I decide to mention it here only in case it would be helpful to someone. As far as I know it is the most complete grouping of Textpattern plugins available. It seemed selfish to keep it a secret.

However, I think an official Textpattern Community collection is preferable. The format Pete has set up in the link that you referenced is a more involved project. There is a schema for the sake of consistency, and as far as I can tell, each plugin has to be uploaded independently from existing repos. Which is a fine approach, just a bit more effort is required.

One other difference is that the Archive is the repo, and each plugin is a sub-repository. This has some pluses, like organizing the plugins by plugin author, and maybe some drawbacks – as a Github newbie I find it a bit easier to work with plugins when they are a stand alone repo. Plus, I’m not sure how to integrate existing plugin repos into the Community archive.

Thus, my approach was much lazier. I simply created an organization and started forking repos, and (visible only from my side of thing) organizing the repos using teams as faux categories.

If my collection helps, excellent. If it confuses, please accept my apologies.

Last edited by maverick (2015-09-10 03:01:15)

#31 2015-09-10 03:05:01

bici
Website Mastodon

maverick wrote #294599:

Bici – yes, there is room for confusion.

As you noted, the link I shared is to my personal collection, not a community collection.

I shared my collection only to be helpful. I originally never intended it for public promotion, but only for personal use. I decide to mention it here only in case it would be helpful to someone. As far as I know it is the most complete grouping of Textpattern plugins available. It seemed selfish to keep it a secret.

However, I think an official Textpattern Community collection is preferable. The format Pete has set up in the link that you referenced is a more involved project. There is a schema for the sake of consistency, and as far as I can tell, each plugin has to be uploaded independently from existing repos. Which is a fine approach, just a bit more effort is required.

One other difference is that the Archive is the repo, and each plugin is a sub-repository. This has some pluses, like organizing the plugins by plugin author, and maybe some drawbacks – as a Github newbie I find it a bit easier to work with plugins when they are a stand alone repo. Plus, I’m not sure how to integrate existing plugin repos into the Community archive.

Thus, my approach was much lazier. I simply created an organization and started forking repos, and (visible only from my side of thing) organize the repos using teams.

If it helps, excellent. If it confuses, please accept my apologies.

please …no need to apologize! I like your and apperciate your effort. And it is very useful to have been made available to us. I guess it would be nice if what you have done could be made available from some central page where ALL githup repos of plugins could be listed. I mean it would be immensely useful to have some Central site to begin our search for plugins. I Sure like the idea that one can install from github directly. super stuff!

…. texted postive

#32 2015-09-10 03:06:14

bici
Website Mastodon

bump – Where might i find this plugin:
kuo_github_plugins

…. texted postive

#33 2015-09-10 03:10:26

maverick
Website

bici wrote #294598:

thanks. this plugin Viewer asks us to install:
kuo_github_plugins

but its nowhere to be found here where i expected it would be.

Kuopassa just shared his plugin a couple of days ago. I’m still learning the ins and outs.

Basic functionality though is to install the viewer plugin – which is only available in this forum thread at this time.

Once installed, it reads MST-Textpattern’s repos. If you click install it shows a description of the plugin at the top of the page, with a link to download an encoded version of the pluin from github raw.

I have found a couple of plugins that seem to be problematic, but most have worked as advertised.

Last edited by maverick (2015-09-10 03:11:09)

#34 2015-09-10 03:14:06

maverick
Website

bici wrote #294601:

bump – Where might i find this plugin:
kuo_github_plugins

bici – I haven’t seen that specific plugin. The plugin in kuopassa post did not require me to install any additional plugins. I had not even seen that plugin name before you mentioned it. Where are you seeing it called for?

#35 2015-09-10 03:16:39

maverick
Website

bici wrote #294600:

I like your and apperciate your effort.

Thank you!

it would be immensely useful to have some Central site to begin our search for plugins.

I agree.

#36 2015-09-10 03:21:12

bici
Website Mastodon

maverick wrote #294603:

bici – I haven’t seen that specific plugin. The plugin in kuopassa post did not require me to install any additional plugins. I had not even seen that plugin name before you mentioned it. Where are you seeing it called for?

once installed i head over to Help and see this:

Last edited by bici (2015-09-10 03:21:40)

…. texted postive

Board footer