Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-08-29 15:07:40

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Ability to install plugins from Github

Makes you wonder if Dean would at that point reconsider handing over the domains after all if he sees what we’re willing to do.

#14 2015-08-29 22:46:19

Destry
Website

ruud wrote #294423:

Makes you wonder if Dean would at that point reconsider handing over the domains after all if he sees what we’re willing to do.

Yep, though the issue is actually hearing from Dean. But there’s a perfectly legal and fair way around that, which it’s time for, IMO.

Someone should try pinging Dean again, but this time put a time element on things and a statement of what will happen if there’s no action when time is up. For example…

Hi Dean,

Hope you’re doing well.

The Textpattern community wants to evolve, but we can’t do it under the domain holding arrangement that has existed over the years. We’re all grateful that you have provided the domain for so long, even well after your departure from the community, but time has come for us to have full control of the domains without “middle-man” intervention every time something needs done.

As you are a hard person to reach and get a reply from, we feel a time frame on things is appropriate too so that we may act even if we don’t hear from you — which brings us to the point of this message.

We respectfully request that you transfer the textpattern.com, textpattern.org, and textpattern.net domains to Robert Wetzlmayr (current lead dev of the project, who will take care of the domains in the interim). Further, we ask that you do so by 12 noon, GMT+1 on {date}. If we don’t hear from you about the issue one way or the other by that time, we’ll assume you would like to keep the domains and we’ll transfer the project to textpattern.io instead (already secured), and no longer rely on the .com, .org, and .net domains.

We look forward to hearing from you. The clock is ticking.

Cordially,

The Textpattern community

By speaking as the community (we), it shows it’s not just the emailer’s agenda, but everyone. GMT+1 is France time (where Dean lives), and “Cordially” is the common way the French close a casual letter (which this should be; he’s casual) to take guesswork out of that part. He’ll understand.

An email is acceptable communication and time-stamped, legally speaking. By adding a deadline for Dean to respond — the date for which just needs determined — we eliminate the need to actually hear back from him, but give him a chance to respond one way or the other.

It’s up to him at that point if we wants to be a hero or a zero, but there’s no bottleneck for us. He either:

• replies and complies and we get the domains (finally),
  • replies and denies, and we move to .io at the point, or
  • doesn’t reply at all and we move to .io immediately after the deadline passes.

No matter what, we win, and Dean doesn’t even have to wake up.

#15 2015-08-29 23:16:06

bici
Website Mastodon

I believe Phil Wareham said he was going to be contacting Dean

should we await a report from Phil?

…. texted postive

#16 2015-08-29 23:17:36

Destry
Website

ruud wrote #294388:

Correct URL: github.com/MST-Textpattern

The following looks a little more fitting for Txp community use, if but by the repo name alone. But it’s likely outdated compared to Maverick’s effort…
github.com/textpattern-community/textpattern-plugin-archive

I wonder if we can start making pull requests there to get it up to speed. I would link to that from the docs at some point and place.

I would also suggest a forum moderator having the rights, adds a link to the repo from the “Plugin author support” forum’s description, alongside the existing link there to .org. As well add a link to the Plugin development docs too — for benefit of the future plugin “authors”. ;)

#17 2015-08-29 23:24:27

Destry
Website

bici wrote #294427:

I believe Phil Wareham said he was going to be contacting Dean

should we await a report from Phil?

Well it wouldn’t be me contacting Dean. I’m just saying that if a core dev does try and make contact, they don’t dilly-dally around with it anymore. Make the message a certain way so we can move forward whether Dean replies or not. By giving a deadline and a statement of what happens if the deadline is missed, it makes it possible.

#18 2015-08-29 23:50:27

maverick
Website

Destry wrote #294428:

The following looks a little more fitting for Txp community use, if but by the repo name alone. But it’s likely outdated compared to Maverick’s effort…

Destry –

re: a central repo for plugins – you are correct. I was just sharing my personal effort in case anyone found it helpful.

re: txp plug archive – I’m not sure that it is so much out of date as it never has been fully fleshed out.

The approach is different however, at least if I understood Pete’s original intent. The Texpattern Plugin Archive was a place for us to upload both raw php and encoded Textpattern plugin files from our personal collections, with each plugin and associated files following a standardized schema.

My approach was simply to fork the repos that already exist on GitHub, creating a centralized location to track them. A similar approach could be set up as a community, and then the current Texpattern Plugin Archive could be incorporated into it, allowing for historical, orphaned, etc. plugins to be uploaded from our private collections as well.

#19 2015-08-30 00:34:55

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #294429:

Well it wouldn’t be me contacting Dean. I’m just saying that if a core dev does try and make contact, they don’t dilly-dally around with it anymore. Make the message a certain way so we can move forward whether Dean replies or not. By giving a deadline and a statement of what happens if the deadline is missed, it makes it possible.

i’m fine with that and agree. time to piss or get off the pot

…. texted postive

#20 2015-08-30 00:53:28

maverick
Website

Perhaps there are three threads of discussion taking place?

1. The feature suggestion
2. the adjacent discussion: Developing the community plugin repository
3. The domain names and Dean issue

Would it be helpful to separate them?

#21 2015-08-30 13:16:56

Destry
Website

Yes, getting back to #1. Sorry. ;)

#3 is over, as far as I'm concerned.

#22 2015-08-31 21:38:55

maverick
Website

Destry wrote #294435:

Sorry. ;)

Nothing need to be sorry. Good discussions. Just was thinking about how to best track the discussions. :)

#23 2015-09-07 04:58:41

kuopassa
Plugin Author
Website

Hey maverick and others, I built a little plugin which gets plugin information from MST-Textpattern and creates a simple table of them, which then is available from Textpattern’s Extensions tab. Like this.

If you want to get the plugin, it’s here. (Version 0.2 has a new function which makes it easier to install plugins from Github.)

Last edited by kuopassa (2015-09-08 04:58:48)

#24 2015-09-08 18:51:11

maverick
Website

Hi Petri!

This is a handy plugin! It makes browsing the repositories quick and easy. I have it installed, and will give it a full try out as soon as I have time. Thank you!

Last edited by maverick (2015-09-08 18:51:56)

Board footer