Website

Re: What is Textpattern?

+1 Nicely done.

#29 2015-08-06 12:13:59

Destry
Website

giz wrote #293926:

Some minor revisions to the base diagram (one of them due to legal threats ;-)

Looks great.

In the yellow diagram, don’t forget to end your sentences with periods, as you’ve done for the last one. ;)

I haven’t heard whether Forms will become “Snippets”, “Partials”, or “T-Snakes” yet. You might want to get on the devs to see if that’s actually going to happen.

#30 2015-08-06 12:38:45

zero
Website

Destry wrote #293992:

In the yellow diagram, don’t forget to end your sentences with periods, as you’ve done for the last one. ;)

Depends on the chosen style, Destry. You can choose all periods, commas, colons, semi-colons etc at the end of lines. Or none. Just stick to it for consistency. With the last line, the end of the piece, a full-stop can be the appropriate exception to the rule. :-P

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#31 2015-08-06 15:34:34

Destry
Website

zero wrote #293993:

Just stick to it for consistency.

Consistency was the whole point of me mentioning the last line, because consistency looks better. Who would disagree with that?

I should stop there, but allow me the courtesy of responding fully without public retribution and trolling my inbox…

You can choose all periods, commas, colons, semi-colons etc at the end of lines. Or none. … With the last line, the end of the piece, a full-stop can be the appropriate exception to the rule.

Depends on what kind of element this “piece” (diagram) is being considered as. Clearly you’re seeing it as a list, whereas I’m seeing four distinct paragraphs, because, technically speaking, a list must have a stem statement to extend from (the reason/context for the list to exist), which this diagram doesn’t have. That in itself would mean this diagram is made up of four paragraphs, thus each requires ending punctuation. Three just happens to have associated visuals, but that’s irrelevant.

For demonstration purposes, lets say there was a stem statement at the top of the piece. In fact, the last paragraph would work well (we could use unordered lists too, with a slight change to the stem statement, and the rules are still the same)…

Flexible publishing done your way is an easy three-step process:

1. Define and categorise your content using an easy browser-based interface.
  2. Organise your presentation with Textpattern’s expendable templating system.
  3. Express yourself using simple tags.

If you wanted to use commas or semi-colons, then you would not capitalise the beginning of items and put “and” at the end of item two. In this case commas are more appropriate because the phrases are relatively short…

1. define and categorise your content using an easy browser-based interface,
  2. organise your presentation with Textpattern’s expendable templating system, and
  3. express yourself using simple tags.

If you wanted no punctuation, then the way it is now would be correct according to Microsoft’s style guide (originally), which demands each item begins with a capital…

1. Define and categorise your content using an easy browser-based interface
  2. Organise your presentation with Textpattern’s expendable templating system
  3. Express yourself using simple tags.

But that can only be done when it’s an actual list, which isn’t the case without a stem statement.

So the whole thing can be dealt with easy, made visually pleasing, and look consistent by putting full-stops at the end of each complete phrase.

Typically, editorial style guides define these kinds of things, for the sake of consistency, of course.

#32 2015-08-08 22:24:18

giz
Website

Here’s the remaining panels:

Style

Plugin

Article

Images & Files

Themes

I gave up on Themes, but included it for ‘completeness’.

I’m the first to admit that some of my copy ain’t right – its a first draft so I can get a handle on its content needs i.e. how much space it takes up. My next step is to build it in svg – the text will be a no-brainer to update once we’ve refined what we want it to say.

Please suggest text replacements as you see fit.
How can we describe Website Themes?

I dunno if I’m happy with the colour scheme yet – its currently Textpattern yellow with a darker version of Phil’s menu-active blue = olive-aqua colour for the ‘active’ overlay.

#33 2015-08-09 11:22:59

zero
Website

It’s looking good to me, giz. In Articles, it’s should be its. If you’re looking to shorten the copy in Articles you could do:

Articles are the basis of Textpattern – each represents a subject and its associated content.

Articles are edited under Content | Write. Format text with Textile, add images, call Custom Fields, and much more.

But I prefer your less terse, friendlier version.

Edit: Content > Write confuses some people

Last edited by zero (2015-08-09 12:01:20)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#34 2015-08-10 16:35:15

uli

Thanks, Gary, also from my side, for all your efforts, now and coming!

As a non-native speaker I can’t say much about the term “tab” as in Content > Write tab. My interpretation, though, is that of the tab card itself (the “handle”) that Textpattern has in the Classic theme. That’s been replaced by the Hive theme as the default one. Hence I’d use another term, I can’t say whether that’s best called panel, page, or something completely different.

I’m content with your choice of colors, with just one small exception: for the sake of better contrasts I’d tune the blue of the page stacks to something slightly lighter, even if that would ignore any predefined color.

Thanks again!

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#35 2015-08-10 17:57:11

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

@giz: breaking the pieces up like that works really well and looks fab. If you want some more info on Themes, I’ll try and put some wordage together so we’re ready. Thanks for all the hard work. I can see this being the basis of a “Get to grips with Textpattern in five minutes” infographic…

uli wrote #294054:

I can’t say whether that’s best called panel, page, or something completely different.

Over the last few years I’ve standardised on Panel in all correspondence and documentation as a matter of personal consistency. Primarily because Page can be confused with front-side Pages and Tab is too UI specific. I’m willing to adapt my convention if someone comes up with something better, otherwise I suggest Panel be the official name for an admin-side screen.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#36 2015-08-10 20:22:42

giz
Website

Thanks all.

@Bloke yes, please!

Panel) (and correct punctuation) is the go.

Re: a lighter blue: I agree, but with the way I have it set up in Sketch.app, that would have made the background an icky olive colour. I’ll wait for the code version where I can futz with the colours more easily.

Board footer