Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-07-19 23:21:27

giz
Website

McGuinnLegal and others

A new website for McGuinnLegal, Western Australia. The design is pretty conservative, but then so is the target audience ;-)

http://mcguinnlegal.com.au

I’ve been very slack in posting my website updates to this forum (the last was in 2011), but thats gonna change.

Here’s a selection of my Textpattern-powered websites that’ll bring us to the present:

Blane Brackenridge Architect, Perth
Saam Architecture, Boston
all-sorts websites for architects
Kennedy Associates Architects, Sydney
Hobbs Jamieson Architects, Sydney
Maximum Porcelain Panels, Australia
Excel Building Management, Sydney
David Langston Jones Architect, Sydney
MacCormick Associates Architects, Sydney
Kerstin Thompson Architects, Melbourne
Sister Cities New Zealand

Last edited by giz (2015-07-20 00:54:50)

#2 2015-07-20 02:07:07

GugUser

Re: McGuinnLegal and others

Maybe you are interested in this article by HTML5 Doctor.

#3 2015-07-20 06:08:50

maruchan
Website

What a great post! I really enjoyed checking out the sites, thanks for sharing. To me it seems like you have a gift for finding a happy medium between unique design and approachable user experience. Bravo.

#4 2015-07-20 19:38:00

giz
Website

Thank you GugUser – that is (good) news.

Thank you maruchan – also good news ;-)

#5 2015-07-26 12:40:24

zero
Website

Perhaps it doesn’t need to be said because it’s what we’ve come to expect but I am going to say anyway that your sites are superb examples of how capable txp is when used by a great designer. You manage to create something unique for every site even though most are architects sites. If there was an article — 25 Architectural Websites For Your Inspiration — it could be filled with your sites and readers would probably not notice it was all by one man. Seems like architects are happy, good to see all-sorts.biz is the go-to place for so many.

I’m a bit curious about the fonts on all-sorts websites for architects. With javascript off there’s a rather ornate font. With javascript on this becomes a stencilled sort of font. Why you do this and why this choice of fonts?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#6 2015-07-26 14:54:47

jakob
Admin
Website

With javascript on this becomes a stencilled sort of font. Why you do this and why this choice of fonts?

For architects, the stencil font is instantly recognisable as a hallmark of Le Corbusier. That matches the rest of Corbusier theme of the architect’s site, which features many of Corbusier’s patterns and designs. The whole site for architects, echoes structures and colours from Corbusier’s work and Gary’s gone to quite some lengths to make his vignettes respond subtly to cursor movement (parallax). Impressive!

I too echo the other’s sentiments – great work in the individual sites too!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2015-07-26 15:06:09

zero
Website

Thanks, jakob. Fascinating.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#8 2015-07-26 21:10:57

giz
Website

Thank you jakob & zero both – I blush ;-)

My ‘corbu’ site uses the font Jeanneret NF – used on Le Corbusier’s drawings (to my knowledge he never used the type-face on his buildings). I’ve been a fan of Corbu’s work for ages – not to everyone’s taste, but then thats ‘cos appreciation requires understanding (goes for most things!).

I still find his discoveries relevant – Corbu developed a anthropometric scale of proportions called ‘Modulor’ to control the dimensions in his buildings. Based on the height of a person with hand stretched upwards, it makes harmonious proportioning easy. Its really flexible – you can use anything as the base measure, like the width of a browser window, or the base font size in your css. The Modular Scale sass plugin does all the math.

Thanks for the heads-up about the fallback font for Jeanneret (of course when I view the site with Javascript off I still see Jeanneret – I have it installed on my Mac – doh!). My jeanneret.scss stub shows font-family: 'JeanneretNF', cursive;. I can’t remember how ‘cursive’ got there – but have changed it to sans-serif…

Last edited by giz (2015-07-26 21:11:41)

#9 2015-07-27 16:19:35

zero
Website

Thanks Gary, I learn so much from you. Jeanneret NF isn’t my favourite but is interesting in how it is ‘built’ from ‘modules’. I checked out the Modular Scale link which led me to this Precise control over responsive typography page (that needs more thought by me because I’ve got very happy using ems which have full browser support). Whilst there I found the same cursive font that I found on your site. I hadn’t realised turning off javascript affected @font-face so I’m glad I could inadvertantly help you :-)

I couldn’t find any setting in Firefox 39.0 for choosing the default cursive font so I tried Safari 5.1.5 which I am using on a Mac OS X 10.6.8 – but no setting either (but unimportant). Then I visited all-sorts using Safari and have some bad news if you want to cater for this browser. With javascript turned off and turned on, I got the same results. But first here’s a screenshot of the architect page using Firefox without js and here’s a screenshot of all-sorts.biz in Firefox with js No problems there. Can click on what you get and accordion opens to show content normally.

But now I go to Architects page using Safari with js and it’s not good. The following screenshots are all taken using Safari with all normal javascript/java things on. I also cleared cache and refreshed because it might just be me, but seems unlikely in this case. Strategy page top, Strategy page first scroll and Strategy page last scroll and the Appeal, Value and Trust pages are similar.

Going to all-sorts.biz home page shows this super-minimalist design! One scroll down shows this and a second scroll down shows this which is clickable and produces – surprise surprise – this but I can scroll down to see this with the horizontal scroll bar. Sorry about that.

I’ve just updated Safari to version 5.1.10 but get the same results. It’s Monday here and raining. I hope it’s clear where you are.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#10 2015-07-27 20:04:02

giz
Website

Thanks for the bad news :-p Weather wet and cold in Wellington – par for the course…

I develop under Safari (currently v8.08), but don’t have Safari 5. I think what is going on is that Safari 5 supports the flex module in css, but not fully. The square menu is specified as width: 38.1966vmin; i.e. 38% of the smallest window dimension. Safari 5 is collapsing the height – a min-width should fix this particular problem.

As for everything else, I’m stumped, but on the face of it the glitches appear to be flex-module related.

Thanks for the screenshots – they are a major help. I’ll have a dig to work out what is going wrong.

#11 2015-07-27 22:39:26

giz
Website

zero, can I ask what Mac OS you’re using? I found https://michelf.ca/projects/multi-safari/ which packages old versions of Safari, but I could get them to work on Yosemite or Snow Leopard.

I fixed the ‘easy bugs’ for old Safari (I think! – the square menu should behave itself now)…

#12 2015-07-27 23:16:27

zero
Website

The square menu is better although it still is right in the corner covering to link to all-sorts.biz. The rest looks the same I think. Sorry I’m not much use, never used flex. I am using Mac Snowleopard. This 5.0.5 version looks like it will be the one. Fingers crossed.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer