Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2015-07-08 21:25:35

Destry
Website

Re: We Love Textpattern (welovetxp.com) needs a new owner

Bloke wrote #292866:

I often wonder whether a Textpattern Foundation is a good idea. Seems like it on the surface, but I never get further than “wondering” to actually find out.

You may remember Leslie (Lazlo in the forum) from early mag brainstorming. He always felt a foundation was needed. I was trying to get him to write a mag piece about it, but I couldn’t get him to commit. You might pick his brain sometime if you ever want a place to start.

#26 2015-07-09 13:10:05

towndock
Website

hcgtv wrote #292774:

I could take over the site, keep it running and updated.

If Bert is up for taking the reins and updating welovetxp, that seems a great outcome. Agreed that a focused “Showcase” section on textpattern.com makes sense, but there is also value in having sites about TXP that are not part of the core development team. External sites add energy to the project.

#27 2015-07-09 15:14:03

zero
Website

towndock wrote #292971:

If Bert is up for taking the reins and updating welovetxp, that seems a great outcome. Agreed that a focused “Showcase” section on textpattern.com makes sense, but there is also value in having sites about TXP that are not part of the core development team. External sites add energy to the project.

+1

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#28 2015-07-13 17:35:54

Sam
Website

Transferred the domain and website to Bert to do with as he sees fit. Thanks for your help everyone.

#29 2015-07-13 18:13:47

maverick
Website

Sam – the community owes you our appreciation for creating WeLoveTxp.com. I remember when it first went live. It was a beautiful site that added to the Txp community. Thank you for caring enough to find a new caretaker for it.

Hopefully you will continue to be part of the Txp community? I know you have been a long time member :)

#30 2015-07-13 20:45:27

zero
Website

and also thanks to Bert for taking this on. Seems like a very good fit.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#31 2015-07-14 14:18:01

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Sam wrote #293139:

Transferred the domain and website to Bert to do with as he sees fit. Thanks for your help everyone.

The transfer is in progress, the new site is already on DreamHost and set to go as soon as I can update the DNS servers on the domain.

Spent the evening getting acquainted with welovetxp, updated it to TXP 4.5.7, had to update some plugins, some are orphaned. The one that gave me the most issues was rss_suparchive, after spending way too much trying to get it to work, I just hand coded an Archive section with TXP tags.

Must suck to not be able to update your site because a plugin author goes offline, along with his/her warez.

Changes to welovetxp:

• Updated to TXP 4.5.7.
  • New Archive page using TXP tags.
  • Added counts to Categories.
  • Updated the plugins I needed, got rid of the rest.
  • Moved design images to the new Themes folder.
  • RSS feeds are now served by Textpattern instead of Feedburner.
  • Grabbed a new Textpattern Solutions book image from Amazon.
  • Removed all hard coded references to welovetxp.com, more portable.
  • Removed Sections, Pages, Forms and Styles that were not being used.
  • Cleaned up the database, removed whatever the site didn’t need.

Now I have a good handle on it, submissions are open, just need to test zem_contact_reborn on DreamHost.

Many thanks to Sam for running welovetxp and adding 1065 sites over the course of 4 years.

#32 2015-07-14 15:28:47

candyman

Are you going to remove the sites that don’t use TXP anymore?

#33 2015-07-14 16:04:34

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

candyman wrote #293171:

Are you going to remove the sites that don’t use TXP anymore?

Yes, but ti’s going to be a long process – visit the site, determine if Textpattern is being used, css.php is easy to spot, if they use a static CSS file, then it gets a bit harder.

I might automate this, bash with wget and perl to find css.php in the page, would at least identify the bulk of the Textpattern sites, the rest would have to by hand and mouse.

Maybe Informer could lend me their excellent web spider, you know, the one that identifies Textpattern sites and places them on the Textpattern home page’s sidebar.

#34 2015-07-14 16:07:20

candyman

Another method could be to check if www.domain.ext/textpattern exists, isn’t it?

#35 2015-07-14 16:36:26

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Check for example.com/textpattern/checksums.txt and then sell ‘em consultancy if they’re out of date.

#36 2015-07-14 16:59:42

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

candyman wrote #293175:

Another method could be to check if www.domain.ext/textpattern exists, isn’t it?

Yeah, but on my sites I have an .htacess file which prevents this, but it would be another method to identify sites if they haven’t renamed the Textpattern directory or are protecting it.

gaekwad wrote #293176:

Check for example.com/textpattern/checksums.txt and then sell ‘em consultancy if they’re out of date.

My that’s a good idea, if they are running TXP 4.0.6, fire them off an email with update pricing.

$99 for an upgrade to 4.5.7, plugins are extra though.

Board footer