Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-07-06 19:41:12

candyman

Re: [textpacks] Translating languages strings for Textpattern 4.6

gaekwad wrote #292676:

Candyman, are you volunteering for the Esperanto (eo-eo) language pack? I’m going to learn Cornish (kw-kw) soon, so I may take that on as a project.

Don’t count on me :(

gaekwad wrote #292676:

If not, you can redeem yourself and help Italian users by telling me the Italian for the invalid_postdate string. The English equivalent is Invalid timestamp. if that helps.

Count on me. Can you tell me when that error appears? When you set an invalid date?

Last edited by candyman (2015-07-06 19:46:27)

#14 2015-07-06 19:46:59

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

candyman wrote #292678:

Count on me. Can you tell me when that error appear? When you set an invalid date?

Exactly, yes.

#15 2015-07-06 19:51:46

candyman

I think that “marcatura temporale non valida” could work but isn’t common language.
Marca temporale is the Italian word for Timestamp (legally speaking).

According to me “Data di pubblicazione non valida” is better.

BTW, there are things I’ve never understood. Plug-in isn’t translated in the Italian version of Textpattern, even if I think that Estensioni could work.
Are there some rules to follow or the Translator can translate every word? Or are there many translator for each language and they decide together?

Last edited by candyman (2015-07-06 19:54:47)

#16 2015-07-06 19:57:09

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

candyman wrote #292681:

According to me “Data di pubblicazione non valida” is better.

I will go with your knowledge. Is there a trailing ., as in a full stop or period to indicate the end of a sentence, like this:

Data di pubblicazione non valida.

Thank you for this translation – you just got it-it to 100% completion. Your prize is the opportunity to be the first official Textpack Ambassador, which means you’d be translating new strings as they arrive, and if you’re able to double-check the existing strings when you have some spare time (waiting for a bus, doctor’s surgery, that kind of thing). What do you think?

#17 2015-07-06 20:02:50

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

candyman wrote #292681:

BTW, there are things I’ve never understood. Plug-in isn’t translated in the Italian version of Textpattern, even if I think that Estensioni could work.

There are some occurrences of plug-in, and some of estensioni, so I can see the confusion. I was always a bit confused by a Textpattern plugin that enabled a tab called Extension. Huh? Weird.

Are there some rules to follow or the Translator can translate every word? Or are there many translator for each language and they decide together?

It’s peer-reviewed. That is to say, if you can improve an existing translation and keep it in-line with the base translation, then that’s great. Many of the original translators have moved to new projects and so the translations have not been done so frequently. I am confident that this mini project will spark some life into translations and help the non-English users of Textpattern.

#18 2015-07-06 20:06:08

candyman

Go for it.

The only trouble is that I’m not so familiar with GitHub. But I can learn.

For checking the existing strings I need to know if are there some rules to follow. For exemple in Italy e-mail is widely used even if there is the equivalent posta elettronica. I know in France they translate everything (even terms like computer and mouse). So the translation must be total or according the common use of the country?
e.g.: Plug-in could be translated or is better to leave as is?

#19 2015-07-06 20:19:07

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

candyman wrote #292685:

Go for it.

Welcome aboard, sir – thank you

The only trouble is that I’m not so familiar with GitHub. But I can learn.

I was an absolutely beginner about 18 months ago, and I decided to learn. Do you use Windows or OS X? There are excellent GUIs for both. I use the Mac OS GUI for my stuff, and it’s easy to use.

For checking the existing strings I need to know if are there some rules to follow. For exemple in Italy e-mail is widely used even if there is the equivalent posta elettronica. I know in France they translate everything (even terms like computer and mouse). So the translation must be total or according the common use of the country?
e.g.: Plug-in could be translated or is better to leave as is?

The Textpack is it-it.textpack, so that’s Italian language for the locale of Italy. The base is en-gb.textpack, which means English localised for Great Britain. You know far more about Italian language use in Italy than I do, so I recommend this as a guideline: make it as clear to understand as you see appropriate.

I rewrote my blog post about 5 times to simplify the language for an international audience. You should focus on the Italian demographic – which of posta elettronica and e-mail is more widely used or understood? If there’s no clear choice, then leave the translation as it is.

The important thing is nothing is permanent, and all these strings translations can be changed at any time, so no real damage is done if it’s not 100% perfect. With more eyes comes more interpretation, at which point a consensus will be reached. Does that help you?

#20 2015-07-06 20:52:52

candyman

Pertfectly clear, thank you.

I use Mac OS X but unfortunately I’m stuck at 10.7 and the client need 10.9 at least.

Anyway, we’ll find a solution, via mail for example :)

Last edited by candyman (2015-07-06 20:53:49)

#21 2015-07-06 21:41:35

uli

Here’s some de-de.

NEW:

invalid_postdate => Ungültiges Veröffentlichungsdatum.

CORRECTIONS:

url_title_is_multiple => Die selbe benutzerdefinierte URL wird von {count} verschiedenen Artikeln benutzt.
article_exp_year => Jahr
css_save_failed => Die Stilvorlage konnte wegen eines Fehlers nicht gespeichert werden. Bitte nochmals versuchen.
css_used_by_section => Stilvorlage <strong>{name}</strong> nicht gelöscht; wird von {count} Sektion(en) verwendet.
img_dir_read_only => Bilderverzeichnis hat keine Schreibrechte
path_to_site_inacc => <code>$path_to_site</code> ist nicht erreichbar
page_used_by_section => Seite <strong>{name}</strong> wurde nicht gelöscht. Sie wird von {count} Sektion(en) verwendet.
expire_logs_after => Protokolle nach wievielen Tagen löschen?
hours_days_ago => vor Stunden/Tagen
search => Suchen
article_count => <strong>{num}</strong> Artikel in dieser Sektion. Mit Klick zur Liste wechseln.
section_save_failed => Die Sektion konnte wegen eines Fehlers nicht gespeichert werden. Bitte nochmals versuchen.
allowoverride => Erlauben, dass Bausteine überschrieben werden?

Some of the strings might be not in use any more (leftovers from previous versions), dunno, but it won’t do no harm, either, if they get corrected.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#22 2015-07-06 22:18:55

uli

I’ve one more string that’s potentially irritating to newbies:

Override form in the Write panel is translated as if it said Overwrite form. Hence my proposal:

override_default_form => Anderen Baustein verwenden (Use another form)

This needed an alteration in the Help file’s headline rpc.textpattern.com/help/?item=override_form&language=de-de, which should likewise say Anderen Baustein verwenden.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#23 2015-07-07 06:59:43

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Uli – thank you very much, this is excellent. I’ll raise a pull request for these now.

Raised here: github.com/textpattern/textpacks/pull/83

Last edited by gaekwad (2015-07-07 07:13:18)

#24 2015-07-07 07:17:18

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Uli: that invalid_postdate string takes the de-de Textpack to 100% completion. Would you like to join candyman and be an official translator for the German language strings? No requirement to use GitHub, though you can if you wish – your delivery here was exactly what I was hoping for.

I noticed eliph has made some changes to de-de via GitHub, but her/his name is not familiar to me around here. Anyone know them?

Last edited by gaekwad (2015-07-07 07:21:08)

Board footer