Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2015-06-30 04:47:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [docs] Github wiki

philwareham wrote #292293:

I’ve emailed you the latest snapshot of Textpattern’s Wiki. I will continue some setup of the GitHub Pages site tomorrow in between my day job.

Got the SQL dump, imported just fine, consuming 125.7 MiB after upgrade, 18,827 rows in the text table, 11,378 in the revisions table.

Tried installing MediaWiki 1.17.0, what Textpattern.net is running, but it didn’t care for my current LAMP setup.

So I went with the latest stable release, MediaWiki 1.25.1, luckily the botched 1.17 install created a LocalSettings.php which I used as a basis for the upgrade. Followed the upgrade directions by running

sudo php maintenance/update.php 

from the new install directory. Messages whizzed by my screen, all good, no errors.

Fired up my new local TextBook installation, using the new default “Vector” skin, success!

Comparing the article_custom tag page with my local server made me realize that the top right language bar shrinks the content column, making reading the page locally a more pleasant experience. Even the color scheme in the default “Vector” skin makes it easier on the eyes, and isn’t that what a TextBook is for?

Thank you Phil.

#50 2015-06-30 05:47:32

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I installed MediaWiki locally too a few months back as I initially thought we could continue with that. I rapidly decided no.

If you find a better way of exporting from it then let me know.

#51 2015-06-30 06:36:33

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #292324:

If you find a better way of exporting from it then let me know.

Let me know the process that you intend on using, because we can extract stuff in all kind of ways, it all depends on where it’s heading.

I installed the PdfBook extension, the official wiki gives me a blank pdf, a new stable MediaWiki coupled with the latest extension did the trick.

Will continue to explore all available export type extensions, I imagine there’s a bunch.

Before the end of the week we’ll have TextBook on punch cards ready to feed into the hopper ;)

#52 2015-06-30 09:21:14

Destry
Website

@Sacripant: See here for reply.

#53 2015-06-30 09:44:17

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #292325:

Let me know the process that you intend on using, because we can extract stuff in all kind of ways, it all depends on where it’s heading.

If you can export every section apart from the tag docs (which I already have) as XML, that would be my preference over pure HTML.

#54 2015-06-30 10:41:15

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote #292254:

It’s a long laborious boring job, hence why I can only face it in small chunks.

Seen this?

#55 2015-06-30 10:43:35

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

wet wrote #292363:

Seen this?

Oh, that could help. I’d still need to do some tidy up on each document page and proof read for obsolete info, but might save me a few minutes per page. Thanks.

#56 2015-06-30 12:30:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #292366:

Oh, that could help

Pandoc is wonderful. I’ve used it for re-Textiling old plugin help files from the compiled HTML. It gets me 95% of the way there and a quick proof read to tidy the edges is a massive labour saving effort. It also converts to and from git-flavoured Markdown.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#57 2015-06-30 12:37:14

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote #292363:

Seen this?

sudo apt-get install pandoc

Thanks for the link Robert.

#58 2015-07-03 08:14:33

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote #292004:

Actually the new docs will probably be powered by Jekyll, so we can keep the pages as flat files editable in GitHub.

There is no reason why you couldn’t also use those doc pages for other stuff such as inline help – I am gradually Textile formatting them anyway as I take them out of the Wiki. Do what you want with them.

I just came across that from another thread, which I hadn’t seen prior to starting this one. The subject title of that thread gave no indication something like that would have been mentioned in it. So, sorry for all the confusion. There should be something more prominent, I think, about what’s going on in the docs front.

Anyhoo, I’m assuming flat files doesn’t just mean there’s no user aides like in-docs navigation and such? Because, honestly, manually creating index pages and secondary lists, etc, can get tedious, not to mention maintaining them over time. That’s mainly the reason why I brought up the Github wiki feature, because it provides those things, making it easier.

I don’t know anything about Jekyll, I guess I should look, but if it makes docs navigation easy, then I’ve got no gripe.

#59 2015-07-03 08:24:51

Destry
Website

Oh, wow. Jekyll looks pretty cool. I would imagine nav-magic can be done then.

Hmm… Jekyll sites hosted for free on Github? With own domain name? That’s attractive. I’ll keep that in mind if Kaizen Garden goes south and I’m living in a tent by then (possible), though I hope it doesn’t. KA is awesome, Jacques! (Wish he could get his banking woes ironed out to move things along.)

#60 2015-07-03 08:30:02

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve been playing with Jekyll for the docs and it seems to be an ideal fit, along with Prose.io to edit the files in a browser-based text editor for those who don’t want to fully immerse themselves in the GitHub model.

Prose.io favours Markdown for new creating new articles (and has a WYSIWYG for that) but it does allow you to edit existing Textile documents easily in their raw state. There are rumblings that they are going to support Textile more in future releases (along with other formats that GitHub support natively).

Will play more then start skinning something up with Textpattern site branding.

Board footer