You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2015-06-30 03:12:51

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: textgarden.org expired - backup plan needed

towndock wrote #292305:

I think some are confusing textpattern.org with textgarden.org

indeed. It is textgarden.org which is still off line textpattern.org is just fine for me.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#38 2015-06-30 03:25:52

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #292317:

indeed. It is textgarden.org which is still off line

yep parked with GoDaddy …

textpattern.org is just fine for me.

working just fine …

…. texted postive

#39 2015-06-30 07:37:08

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

hcgtv wrote #292312:

This is the Dean Allen, he’s the one who holds the keys to our front door, not reassuring.

To be pedantic, yes – the Dean Allen, formerly of this parish, owns the keys to the Textpattern domain(s) (and this is just the way it’s been – if the guy’s deliberately off grid there’s not much we can do about that, nor should we), but many Dean Allens are owners of those 300+ domains. The whois link I used (to the wrong domain…) isn’t smart enough to figure out the differences between the numerous Dean Allens.

Last edited by gaekwad (2015-06-30 07:38:34)

#40 2015-06-30 07:49:38

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #292328:

To be pedantic, yes – the Dean Allen, formerly of this parish, owns the keys to the Textpattern domain(s) (and this is just the way it’s been – if the guy’s deliberately off grid there’s not much we can do about that, nor should we).

We all live the lives we want to, if Dean wants to go off grid and grow vegetables, more power to him. I take little breaks here and there from the connected world also, I just got back on the keyboard after 4 months of enjoying coming out of Winter into Spring, my hands are still recovering from all the yard work.

But I still want to engage the online world, I still have something left to give before I head into the garden forever.

#41 2015-06-30 08:23:23

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I have sent an email to Dean to enquire about the domain names and whether they could be made available to the current team – hoping to get some resolution to this matter in due course.

#42 2015-06-30 09:00:03

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

hcgtv wrote #292329:

We all live the lives we want to, if Dean wants to go off grid and grow vegetables, more power to him. I take little breaks here and there from the connected world also, I just got back on the keyboard after 4 months of enjoying coming out of Winter into Spring, my hands are still recovering from all the yard work.

But I still want to engage the online world, I still have something left to give before I head into the garden forever.

I agree 100% – truly. Understand that I’m not being argumentative for the sake of it.

The Textpattern empire lives atop a donated server from Joyent, who no longer offer traditional web hosting. The domain keys are with the founder who hasn’t been around here for a while. I’d happily buy a new textpattern.* domain, give it to the board and put up some cash for hosting the damn thing, but I suspect that offer won’t get much traction. I’ve offered to put up some funds for an SSL cert, too, but that was politely declined.

#43 2015-06-30 09:12:57

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #292335:

I’ve offered to put up some funds for an SSL cert, too, but that was politely declined.

I’m not against that offer, I think the general consensus thought was why pay a yearly charge for something we don’t really need (though Google do indeed give some minor preference to https content now). Not to mention the link rot that would need to be 301 redirected. I would be happy to pay for the domain registrations myself if we had ownership – we’ll see if Dean is agreeable.

#44 2015-06-30 10:05:23

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #292337:

I think the general consensus thought was why pay a yearly charge for something we don’t really need (though Google do indeed give some minor preference to https content now).

There was no malice intended in my statement. I have a disposable-level password for this forum because a) logging in isn’t done securely and b) I don’t control the server. My frustrations, again, have crept over the limit in public and for that I apologise.

I wish you well with retrieving the domain control from Dean. I personally don’t think it’s likely, but put me down for a three-year funding if it does happen.

#45 2015-06-30 10:11:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #292348:

I wish you well with retrieving the domain control from Dean

Ahem, yeah. But Phil’s message to him this time included an option that I believe — might be wrong — has been hitherto unexplored: Dean retains control of the domains, but points the nameservers elsewhere so we can at least add subdomains and other goodness around the project. I don’t know the man, but that to me seems like a sensible middle ground arrangement if transfer of ownership lock stock is not on his radar.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#46 2015-06-30 10:22:37

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #292349:

Ahem, yeah. But Phil’s message to him this time included an option that I believe — might be wrong — has been hitherto unexplored: Dean retains control of the domains, but points the nameservers elsewhere so we can at least add subdomains and other goodness around the project.

The absurdity of this is off the charts (no offence, Phil – not having a snipe at you).

Someone has to say it – everything is changing at the moment: site designs, infrastructure, Textpattern’s look-and-feel for 4.6, etc – let’s just get a new domain, some new hosting and not have to deal with this BS every time domains come around for renewal.

Dean’s gone. He’s part of Textpattern history. Let the guy live his life in whatever part of the world he’s in. Cut the cord. There are upwards of 250 textpattern.* domains that can be purchased – right now – and applied to hosting that doesn’t cost a lot of money.

I apologise (again) for the frustration boiling over, but I stand by my words.

#47 2015-06-30 10:31:21

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

towndock wrote #292305:

I think some are confusing textpattern.org with textgarden.org

Yes, because textgarden still shows a blank/GoDaddy ads page. It’s not a DNS caching issue. SOA record shows that it was updated on june 29th 2015

#48 2015-06-30 10:33:24

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

ruud wrote #292358:

Yes, because textgarden still shows a blank/GoDaddy ads page. It’s not a DNS caching issue. SOA record shows that it was updated on june 29th 2015

My fault. Long day. Confusion. Sorry.

Board footer