Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-06-29 11:16:58

Destry
Website

[docs] Github wiki

I stumbled across pencilblue.org recently (which looks interesting). They also use Github for their docs, and I was admiring their superior implementation of a Github wiki.

As per the Github wiki’s about page, they are:

a place in your repository for long-form content … you can choose to write in Markdown, RST, Textile, or any other supported format … can be edited directly on GitHub, or you can work with a text editor offline and simply push your changes. Wikis are collaborative by design. By default, every user can make changes to public wikis [but it can be more controlled]…

They even provide embedded docs navigation. Critical for documentation usability.

Doesn’t it make more sense to do this? And make me a collaborator so I can edit directly and save us all the hassle of these editing monkey hoops. ;)

Last edited by Destry (2015-06-29 11:20:19)

#2 2015-06-29 11:32:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [docs] Github wiki

Have at it.

You got a Github account? I can probably figure out how to add you as a collaborator. Err, maybe. Must be a setting somewhere…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2015-06-29 11:48:17

Destry
Website

Yep, and this is the kind of way I might actually make use of it.

(Heh… Just realized I’ll be developing the Kaizen Garden docs there too.)

Last edited by Destry (2015-06-29 11:52:16)

#4 2015-06-29 12:06:48

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

OK, I’ve invited you to the “Just Write” team. Let me know if you have Wiki edit access rights on the textpattern project. If you need to be added to anything else, holler.

Any issues, just shout: this is all new to me so I might have misunderstood the permissions.

Iron. Strike. Hot.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2015-06-29 12:22:17

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Not quite sure how this integrates with the textpattern-documentation project which has currently got some docs and the tag reference from MediaWiki as separate .textile files.

Is the Github wiki a way to move all those separate documentation files into a full, linked, complete documentation resource? That would save a repo in a way, since everything is audited for traceability on the wiki so we could conceivably drop the textpattern-documentation project and continue it in the wiki.

I wonder if I should grant Just Write members access to the textpattern-documentation repo too. There might be a semi-automated way to yank the content out of one and plop it in the wiki. And then are those myriad FAQs to pare down to a sensible number (like, 10!)

Hmmmmmm…

#6 2015-06-29 12:23:43

Destry
Website

I seem to have joined Just Write okay, but the wiki link just defaults me back to the /textpattern project page; it doesn’t actually give me access to the wiki.

Maybe I have to push, prod, poke, pull, jab, fork, stab, chop to local or something first?

#7 2015-06-29 12:29:38

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #292241:

Not quite sure how this integrates with the textpattern-documentation project which has currently got some docs and the tag reference from MediaWiki as separate .textile files.

Is the Github wiki a way to move all those separate documentation files into a full, linked, complete documentation resource?

Yes, as far as I see it.

I won’t do anything until you guys decide what you want, but my reason for pointing the Github wiki functionality out was to suggest it being the final destination for MediaWiki docs and the stuff Phil started in Github outside of a wiki context.

End-game being to first port Phil’s docs over, which seem a little misplaced as is, then begin giving the Github wiki some organization as keepable docs from .net are migrated too. Then .net can be retired, or whatever you want to do. Along the way we address the FAQs, which are long in the queue of needing addressed. Something like that.

#8 2015-06-29 12:32:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #292242:

it doesn’t actually give me access to the wiki.

OK, umm. I was following the permissions here but that (rather confusing document, which uses ‘X’ — a usually negative indicator — to denote ‘yes, this group can do something’!) appears to be for Organizations and not Teams. I hoped it’d apply to both, since when I set the Team up I had 3 levels of access to choose from:

• Read
  • Write
  • Admin

which correspond to the levels mentioned in that document. I chose “Read” which is supposed to permit Wiki editing, and Teams apparently sit within an Organization. Or something like that.

Any clues or documentation links that anyone stumbles upon that give me a clue what I should be setting up and how, gratefully appreciated.

#9 2015-06-29 12:35:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #292243:

the final destination for MediaWiki docs

Gets my vote.

#10 2015-06-29 12:37:44

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Since the wiki is going to be retired, some docs will make it to the new wiki or the new TXP driven site, while some may fall by the wayside.

Any chance of getting a dump of the wiki as it sits now?

#11 2015-06-29 12:41:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hcgtv wrote #292246:

Any chance of getting a dump of the wiki as it sits now?

If I had server access, sure. You might have to prod / jab / fork Phil or Robert for that as I think one (or both) have the ability to dump databases.

#12 2015-06-29 12:45:13

Destry
Website

hcgtv wrote #292246:

… or the new TXP driven site.

What site is that?

Also, any user docs that fall by the wayside would be obsolete pages, such as outdated information, translation pages, etc. Likewise any partially good pages would be revised considerably, and there will no doubt be a lot of consolidation, merging, moving, etc. So I’m not sure what the value of keeping all that old cruft would be.

An exception, of course, would be all the developer stuff, for example, and that might be a new direction for the .net wiki (though I suspect that info would be moved to Github too at this point).

But I’m not concerned with dev docs, personally. I’m just concerned with end user docs and that should not end up with several redundant versions. A single, official version of core system user docs is all that users should be distracted by. Outside of that it’s TXP Tips, etc.

My outlook on it, anyway.

Last edited by Destry (2015-06-29 12:52:17)

Board footer