Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-06-25 20:28:56

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

textgarden.org expired - backup plan needed

As noted elsewhere, textgarden.org expired. Right now, it’s a Go Daddy holding page.

If everything comes back up, that’s dandy. If not, what to do?

i) add textgarden.textpattern.com and port the content over
ii) wait for the drop date and snag it back
iii) treat this as a sign and do something that’s a bit more resilient
iv) something else entirely

For info, textpattern.com appears to be reg’d until mid 2017, textpattern.net and textpattern.org are both May 2017.

#2 2015-06-25 20:35:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: textgarden.org expired - backup plan needed

gaekwad wrote #292079:

add textgarden.textpattern.com and port the content over

Or set up themes.textpattern.com? Since that could conceivably cover both admin and the proposed public themes.

If someone has a backup of the textgarden.org database we could start that ball rolling now…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2015-06-25 20:37:59

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #292080:

Or set up themes.textpattern.com? Since that could conceivably cover both admin and the proposed public themes.

If someone has a backup of the textgarden.org database we could start that ball rolling now…

I typed that option out and deleted it on the grounds of existing textgarden.org branding, so it sort of sits under option iii).

I think (think) it lives/lived on the Joyent server that .com lives on, so it might just be a case of scooping some files up and/or tweaking up a virtual host.

Best person to ask would be Robert, I think.

#4 2015-06-25 20:39:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #292081:

existing textgarden.org branding

It has branding?!?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2015-06-25 20:44:46

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #292082:

It has branding?!?

Grass, Stef, grass. As in a garden.

I have a feeling Stuart thebombsite had something to do with it, but he’s not been around here recently.

#6 2015-06-25 20:53:10

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #292083:

Grass, Stef, grass. As in a garden.

Oh that. Right.

I have a feeling Stuart thebombsite had something to do with it

Yep, he became custodian of the site shortly after Sivert’s death and pretty much ran it. He was also part of the team that brought the current design/layout to the official Txp sites.

#7 2015-06-25 20:55:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

From Stuart’s profile:

Last post: Feb 10 2014 17:36:44

Time to bring it in-house or – someone has to say it – drop it like it’s hot and start afresh with working themes.

#8 2015-06-25 21:09:22

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I am pretty sure “Garden” was chosen because of the CSS Zen Garden – which was extremely popular once upon a time.

TextGarden… could be not only a contest website, but a permanent resources for design with txp… :))
TXP Template Contest : Starting a Pledge ! Will you sign up ?

But nothing lasts forever. :)

#9 2015-06-25 21:15:45

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #292086:

Time to bring it in-house or – someone has to say it – drop it like it’s hot and start afresh with working themes.

Once “Themes” are a reality, I’m going to start making txp:themes in earnest, but I’d like to host them on my own site.

A Central repository is not going to work, the plugins site is a testament to that ideal. What I would propose is a directory of sorts, a resource, a helpful site to get one up and running. Links to “Theme” developers, links to plain “HTML” template sites for the roll it your own crowd, and the tutorials, yes plenty of those.

I’m ready-set-to-go, once I get going I can crank out themes really quick.

#10 2015-06-25 21:52:03

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #292088:

A Central repository is not going to work, the plugins site is a testament to that ideal. What I would propose is a directory of sorts, a resource, a helpful site to get one up and running. Links to “Theme” developers, links to plain “HTML” template sites for the roll it your own crowd, and the tutorials, yes plenty of those.

I agree with this sentiment. I can’t personally get involved in a themes site directly (I still haven’t done as much work as I want to on .com site, so can’t take on more as well), but I can supply themes.

#11 2015-06-25 23:47:15

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote #292088:

Ditto that. A (smallish) resources site with tips, samples, etc coupled with a section with links to themes and theme developers

theme.textpattern.com sounds good.
Forget about textgarden (there was way too much obsolete content anyway, last I checked)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#12 2015-06-26 00:23:28

jstubbs
Website

I don’t think there was anything current in Textgarden that should be ported over, even if one could. Its better to have a themes page on the main TXP site and maybe have some info or examples from developers, who would presumably either host the theme on their own sites or on Github.

Board footer