Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#241 2013-09-01 18:00:51

Destry
Website

Re: smd_bio : store additional biographical info about your users

I just updated a site from Txp 4.0.3 to current. It was and still is running bio 0.31 and there doesn’t seem to be any problems (that I’ve noticed yet). Of course I’d like to help 0.40 beta along… Should I risk waking the sleeping dog and upgrade? Normally I’d just sit tight with stable but I’m unsure what to make of the JQuery changes that Stef mentioned that effected the plugin a bit.

#242 2013-09-01 21:39:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote:

I just updated a site from Txp 4.0.3 to current. It was and still is running bio 0.31 and there doesn’t seem to be any problems (that I’ve noticed yet).

Normally I’d say that an upgrade is a good idea, especially because a lot has changed in the plugin since 0.31, most notably the way you get at bio data in your Forms (using proper tags instead of the {replacement} crap, although it’s still supported under the hood for now). You’ll certainly notice that the admin side will look a bit neater, and if you’re using newer versions of jQuery then things like the image selection functionality might not work reliably/at all. But then again, if it ain’t broke… ;-)

If you do spot it misbehaving, then I’d ensure you have a backup before upgrading. And don’t delete your old smd_bio, just upgrade over the top as usual. Otherwise it’ll probably delete your bio fields or some such nonsense. The fact it’s labelled “beta” is only because I’m too swamped to go through and install every one of my plugins on my own site and do the .org dance, so it’s quicker to just offer them this way for the time being until I can switch over to a better workflow en masse (GitHub, probably, as you say, it’s all the rage).

Last edited by Bloke (2013-09-01 21:39:58)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#243 2013-09-01 23:02:30

Destry
Website

Thanks, Stef. I feel silly for asking. But I appreciate your insights.

#244 2013-10-10 20:13:10

Destry
Website

Stef, a couple of things…

The docs say that you can add a comma at start of multi-select lists definitions to create a blank space at top. I’ve added commas but there’s no blank space.

Also, for selecting images, the drop-down shows the entire fleet of images from the Image panel. Is there a way to restrict what appears in the list to a single category, say “headshots”? Got it. In the docs.

And for what it’s worth, I get these errors at top of plugin when debugging is on…

Internal error "Array to string conversion"
in /users/home/wion/domains/{the domain}/web/public/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(812) : eval()'d code at line 1034.
textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(812) : eval()'d code:1034 adminErrorHandler()
smd_bio_admin_js()
textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php:854 call_user_func_array()
textpattern/lib/txplib_head.php:133 callback_event()
textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(812) : eval()'d code:109 pagetop()

Last edited by Destry (2013-10-10 20:43:49)

#245 2013-10-11 07:06:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote:

The docs say that you can add a comma at start of multi-select lists definitions to create a blank space at top. I’ve added commas but there’s no blank space.

Hmm, I’ll check on this later. It should work but maybe I slipped up…

Internal error “Array to string conversion”

Dang, missed that one. Will fix, thanks for highlighting it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#246 2013-11-10 11:44:01

Destry
Website

Stef,

I’m changing the layout of the bio data form in the Hive theme via CSS, and I’m curious about something. When creating data fields, you have a field type option for “URL”. For whatever reason, this field type exhibits different presentational properties from a normal text field, but aside from the type of content, there really shouldn’t be any difference; they both look like text boxes. The URL field seems a tad smaller, seems to have at least a 2px left margin on it, and an inner shadow on the top side of the field. This also seems to distort the field length setting. A text field and URL field having a length of 80, for example is still two different lengths. Very odd.

I want the URL fields to look just like the normal text fields, thus regular size, no margin, no shadow, same length behavior. Whatever.

When I look in smd_bio code, I see the only difference for the two is how the coltype is indicated…

'text' => array(
				'name'    => 'Text box',
				'coltype' => 'varchar',
				'colsize' => '255',
				'fixed'   => false,
				),
		'url' => array(
				'name'    => 'URL',
				'coltype' => 'text',
				'colsize' => '255',
				'fixed'   => false,
				),

If I try changing the URL coltype to varchar nothing happens.

I suppose I could use a “Text” field for URL data, but it’s kind of nice to have that “URL” type in the bio data entry form as it helps indicate to users what type of data must be entered.

Any clue why the presentation of the two field types is different?

#247 2013-11-10 12:36:42

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote:

this [URL] field type exhibits different presentational properties from a normal text field

Very strange. Under my Hive they look the same to me. At least in Firefox. In what browser are you seeing this behaviour? Is it the same across browsers?

Although I give the two types of field different classes (smd_bio_url vs smd_bio_text), unless your stylesheet hooks into those classes the key difference is the <input> element’s type attribute. Maybe some browsers render type="url" slightly differently to type="text"? Can’t think of any other reason off the top of my head but if you let me know the browser info I might be able to see if I can at least replicate the issue and go from there.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-11-10 12:37:22)

#248 2013-11-10 12:53:14

Destry
Website

Found the problem. The Hive theme has a reset.css file too, where it resets input[type="text"], but not type="url", so by adding these two lines in the reset.css file, all is well…

At line 346:

input[type="text"],
input[type="url"] {

And at line 382:

.boxshadow input[type="url"]:focus,

Might get Phil to throw those in the install file.

Last edited by Destry (2013-11-10 12:55:41)

#249 2014-01-25 09:51:29

hitodev

Hello
Is the a MLP ready version of this smd_bio ?

#250 2014-10-23 13:17:43

aslsw66
Website

I just installed version 0.40 on a new development site.

Every time I go to Extensions > Bio config, I get a message box saying

Internal error "Array to string conversion"

If I click OK, it seems to work fine past that point except for …

If I try to set the column type as Varchar and then save, I get a ‘403’ error. I’m not sure if that’s related to the plugin, as I get them every now and then when trying to install plugins too, but I thought it was worth reporting.

If I use one of the other text types, it all seems to work normally (so far!!).

#251 2014-10-23 13:47:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

aslsw66 wrote #285081:

“Array to string conversion”

D’oh. A stray variable in a code comment that PHP is expanding. Until I can get round to fixing it officially, find line 992 in the code and change the comment from:

// When clicking Save, enable the coltype/colsize boxes so the values are transmitted in $_POST

to:

// When clicking Save, enable the coltype/colsize boxes so the values are transmitted in the _POST array

The 403 error is likely nothing to do with the plugin per se. It’ll be most likely to do with your host’s anti-spam counter-measures that are tripping up the save process.

#252 2014-10-23 14:21:19

aslsw66
Website

OK, I’ll try amending that line by myseld. I say try, because it’s the plugins area which trips over into 403 errors all the time eg. on my other site, I’ve found it’s pretty well hit-and-miss to figure out what I can and can’t change.

And it reminds me to talk to the hosting company again. I raise individual issues when they occur, but it would be great if they could fix their security settings once and for all!

Board footer