Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2014-10-09 16:00:56

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Textpattern moves to Git and GitHub

mrdale wrote #284641:

Still don’t understand why they didn’t set git up with some concurrent simple sequential numbers…

On a distributed system, who will be the sequence keeper?

#26 2014-10-09 16:52:14

mrdale
Website

Quoth Wet: On a distributed system, who will be the sequence keeper?

Meh, each of those entries is presumably stored in a database, what’s wrong with a simple index id? Like bitbucket or svn.

Don’t care that much, but a redundant simple number for dummies might be nice in addition to that admittedly badass hex string… Hell maybe the hex string could be even longer, 1024 characters anyone?

#27 2014-10-09 19:37:11

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

mrdale wrote #284644:

maybe the hex string could be even longer, 1024 characters anyone?

To be fair, you only need to use as much of the string as necessary to ensure uniqueness. The first 8 usually suffice.

git reset —hard 0d1d7fc32

What would you be doing that for? Under the many branches paradigm which we’re adopting there should be very little reason to go back and forth between revisions. Stuff in master is what we consider ‘stable’(ish). After your initial clone, you keep up-to-date with the master by using git pull. That’s it.

Every other feature we’re working on (a.k.a. experimental or unfinished) goes in a different branch. If you want to try it out, you git checkout name-of-branch and bam, your local repo looks exactly like the feature branch. If you don’t like it or it doesn’t work to your liking, git checkout master and everything rolls back to how you had it, instantly. Then you can make noise on the feature branch issue list about what you did/didn’t like and things move forward. When the branch is in a ready state, it’s merged back into master.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#28 2014-10-10 01:24:37

mrdale
Website

Sure, just getting used to the idea of git and it’s differences. I do think it’s a minor drawback that I can’t glance at commit and immediately see where it is historically, but I get that it’s better for a distributed workflow.

git log -1 will work tho.

Previously I had used the -r nnnn option with svn to revert from bleeding edge if there were any incompatibility issues, but I agree that feature branches are WAY better.

Board footer