Website Mastodon

#2 2014-10-04 10:30:38

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Textpattern moves to Git and GitHub

Fantastic news.

Addendum: from the article:

We will recreate all existing issues at GitHub, and inevitable cause a stream of issue creation notifications spamming the inboxes of anybody watching the repository. Apologies for that, but there’s nothing we can do about it…

If someone is watching a repository, they are informed of issues and comments by default, yes? Perhaps it would be smart to raise an issue now to inform watchers that a maelstrom of email/notifications are in the near future and give them time to un-watch for a short period should they wish. An issue to warn of issues, if you will.

Also, being picky, `inevitable` should be `inevitably`. Sorry if this makes me sound like an ass.

Last edited by gaekwad (2014-10-04 10:35:53)

#3 2014-10-04 10:59:14

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Shall we delete the crockery branch in the GitHub repo? It’ll still be there in SVN for posterity. There’s not really any useful code in that now is there?

#4 2014-10-04 12:18:56

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #284524:

Perhaps it would be smart to raise an issue now to inform watchers that a maelstrom of email/notifications are in the near future and give them time to un-watch for a short period should they wish.

This would torpedo our goal of having identical issue numbers on both sides of the fence.

#5 2014-10-04 12:37:38

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

wet wrote #284528:

This would torpedo our goal of having identical issue numbers on both sides of the fence.

Got it. So it’s important no issues/pull requests are created until after the switch has been completed and signed off, right?

#6 2014-10-04 12:40:54

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #284529:

So it’s important no issues/pull requests are created until after the switch has been completed and signed off, right?

Exactly. It’ll take another few minutes.

#7 2014-10-04 12:44:19

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

wet wrote #284530:

Exactly. It’ll take another few minutes.

Thank you for clarifying. I’m not champing at the bit, just making sure a well-intended pull request doesn’t derail the process.

#8 2014-10-04 12:47:38

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

This is the least of my fears. We haven’t really been overwhelmed with pull requests these past few years ;)

#9 2014-10-04 12:49:35

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

wet wrote #284532:

This is the least of my fears. We haven’t really been overwhelmed with pull requests these past few years ;)

Well, yes. That.

#10 2014-10-04 13:14:07

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

All issues have landed. You can now start to fork Textpattern and send your pull requests.

#11 2014-10-04 19:48:01

maverick
Website

For those of us who are git novices, can you point us to a “how-to” for installing texpattern via command line like we had for svn?

(for example, once set up, “svn update” made it pretty easy to run the latest and greatest :) I presume there’s something similar with Git?)

Thanks!

#12 2014-10-04 21:09:54

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

To obtain the repository the first time, issue:

git clone https://github.com/textpattern/textpattern.git dev

Similar to svn checkout, it’ll download the repo and create a folder called dev (in this case) to put it in. Upload the project as usual to your host, minus the hidden .git folder to play with it or even use it directly in your *amp environment.

Thereafter, any time you want to update to the latest and greatest bleeding edge code, make sure you’re in the dev folder and issue:

git pull

to fetch and merge the changes. That’s pretty much it, at least for the master branch.

We’ll be working on feature branches a lot as we test code ready for merging into the main master branch. If you want to play with those, you can check them out into your local repo. If you issue git branch -a you’ll see a list of all available branches. If you like the sound of one, it’s as simple as:

git checkout -b branch_name origin/branch_name

That’ll pull it down to your repo and switch to it so you can play. Your local repo immediately reflects the code in the new branch. You switch between branches using git checkout name-of-branch and you can do this willy-nilly as long as the branch you’re leaving is clean (i.e. has no edits waiting to be committed).

To contribute, fork the repo using git clone into your own Github account, make local changes on your fork, test them, use git add . to add the changed files and git commit to write them to your local repo. git push will sync them back to your Github account, whereby you can issue a pull request to the Textpattern repo for us to review your code and merge it in.

I’m not sure if a pull request can be done directly from the command line or if you have to do it via your own Github fork, as above. There may be a shorter way: I’m sure someone will divulge it if I’m out-of-date.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer