Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-07-02 19:51:54

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Textpattern 4.5.x and PHP 5.5

I’ve had two clients report that their web server PHP has been bumped up to 5.5 in the last week, triggering preg_replace() warnings. This was useful in some respect because it told me their sites were in Testing mode, but it caused alarm at their end.

Does there come a tipping point where PHP 5.5 becomes widespread enough to push a 4.5.* patch release out, incorporating the other few hundred commits that have taken place in the last 9 months? If so, are we close to it?

Devil’s advocate: are the commits/changes enough to justify a patch release?

Thanks in advance from sunny Cornwall.

#2 2014-07-02 21:03:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Textpattern 4.5.x and PHP 5.5

gaekwad wrote #281852:

are the commits/changes enough to justify a patch release?

Absolutely. As long as I’ve done enough to mitigate the issues outlined in Issue 410 I don’t think there are any other blocking factors for the next 4.5.x release.

I’m unsure if I have to actually go through and remove every NOT NULL to satisfy Issue 410 or not. All values have defaults now, which means no field can ever be NULL any more, thus the NOT NULL declaration is arguably superfluous. But going through and altering all fields to permit NULL seems a bit odd, especially on auto increment fields which I believe MySQL forces to be NOT NULL anyway. *shrug*

But yes, a new release is very necessary to address some of the compatibility issues and also to fix the glaring problems as detailed in r5682 and r5683. It just needs someone who knows what they’re doing (i.e. not me) to press the right buttons to generate a new release.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer