Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2014-05-17 14:25:26

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: 2012 Textpattern Default Theme

OK, I tweeted a link to the compiled alpha via Textpattern’s twitter feed

Note that this theme will change before final 4.6 release, because I’m changing the main and sidebar column layout a bit in due course (I’ve half done it so far).

#62 2014-05-17 14:38:36

dos

Thanks again. Looking forward to what’s coming.

“HaHa. Your medium is dying.” –Nelson Muntz, Springfield.

#63 2014-05-18 13:21:41

dos

One more thing I noticed. The theme uses H1 for the site title and the article titles. I think that is not the best solution for screen readers.

I am not sure if it is better to use H1 for site title and H2 for article titles. Or maybe H1 for articles and the site name is just part of the title-tag in the header.

#64 2014-05-18 19:01:24

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The way I understand it, HTML5 compliant screen readers can differentiate between header (non-article) and main article content – plus there are WAI-ARIA roles and attributes to further aid accessibility.

Previous flavours of (X)HTML did have problems with h1 being used multiple times in pages.

Although I’m open to suggestion on this one.

#65 2014-05-18 20:47:39

dos

philwareham wrote #280899:

The way I understand it, HTML5 compliant screen readers can differentiate between header (non-article) and main article content – plus there are WAI-ARIA roles and attributes to further aid accessibility.

Previous flavours of (X)HTML did have problems with h1 being used multiple times in pages.

Although I’m open to suggestion on this one.

I did some more reading and I think you’re correct. When using the article tag it should be fine to have multiple h1 tags.

From a SEO-perspective it might get problematic when there are multiple h1 tags in the body. Bing is recommending only one H1 in the body/or per page.

But honestly I do not really care about the SEO arguments. I guess they will soon adopt the HTML5 guidelines.

#66 2014-05-18 23:03:20

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

dos wrote #280894:

The theme uses H1 for the site title and the article titles. I think that is not the best solution for screen readers.

Lots of virtual ink has already flown on that one… Modern screen readers don’t seem to have a problem with a few H1, as long as the H1 is/are wrapped inside the appropriate containers, sprinkled with some ARIA-attribute goodies. OTOH, using more than two, as suggested by some WHATWG folks, appears more tricky for screen readers, in the sense of generating a correct document outline. Going farther, if your document is repurposed elsewhere, think RSS and feed readers, using multiple H1 becomes dubious. And as far as I understand it, EPUB publishers don’t like it much.

That said, one H1 for the site name (header role=banner) and one for the article title should be fine and hasn’t caused me problems with search engines.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#67 2015-09-22 12:15:36

CeBe
Plugin Author
Website

A basic question on layout:

I would like to intervert the content with the sidebar. Is it safe to just say main { float: right; } and .complementary-content { float: left; } ?
(located in _responsive.sass, l. 75 and 82).

Thank you !

Board footer