Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2014-04-17 14:35:13

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Wiki development

It’s not clear cut that complicated, restricted wiki platform (where you have to request an account from a ‘someone’) is any better.

The current wiki would have issues with unmonitored contributions, especially if contributions are opened to everyone. And even now it ultimately has. These issues are not intentional, but those that contribute are not always aware of their own shortcomings. Never write about shit you know nothing about.

My all time favorites are still all those ‘tips’ that lead into security issues. Like that cool “chmod 777” in the setup guide, or all those fifty local development setup guides, that don’t mention that their Apache is accepting traffic from the wide world interwebs. Have fun when someone accesses your phpMyAdmin installation and using that steals your keychain. Or the use of FTP over SSH/SFTP, and never even mentioning one and skipping to ‘install this free client’.

That wiki installation has a RCE vulnerability too, doesn’t it?

Last edited by Gocom (2014-04-17 14:36:06)

#38 2014-04-17 14:39:04

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

#39 2014-04-17 14:55:51

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

#40 2014-04-17 15:41:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Gocom wrote #280306:

Never write about shit you know nothing about.

Arse, I’ve been rumbled…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#41 2014-04-17 15:48:46

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #280309:

Arse, I’ve been rumbled…

Lol.

I think in more polite speak, the VCS gives us all the ability to peer review documentation quickly and easily so even if we write about ‘shit we don’t know about’, someone can amend it before it becomes official documentation.

#42 2014-04-17 15:50:18

Destry
Website

Phil,

The first method you mention looks easy enough. The second method, and particularly the Github client, I’ve had nothing but problems with. The client doesn’t make sense to me at all. But I’m just an old dumb fuckin’ caveman, so what do i know.

Gocom,

I’m not arguing to keep the wiki (on the contrary I’m happy to be free of it), so I’m not sure what you’re point there is. More user-access restriction has been my position all along, whatever the platform.

Those who care,

I was following up here with these questions simply to see what the status was on Txp docs migration, and if I had anything to offer from the perspective of docs progenitor and wiki admin.

Fact is Txp user docs are a low priority on my agenda anymore. The CSF community takes up a great deal of my spare time, and I’ve committed to helping with Kaizen Garden docs too. I’d like to do more for the TXP mag, but we know what the situation is there. (Btw, if there’s any hungry mag editor out there, speak up).

For what it’s worth — and probably not much here — but Kaizen is facing the same docs platform issues, and we’re using Google Docs until further notice. Say what you want about Google or Drive, but I highly doubt it’s going anywhere any time soon and Google takes care of the overhead. Further, the docs are super easy to use (on- or offline) by following a familiar writing model, provide fine-grain user rights control, have great collaboration features, can export to a zillion formats (including PDF and HTML), and even provide version history if needed. Gdocs enabled us to just start writing immediately instead of farting around with platform nonsense. There could be a formatting headache later if docs move, but who knows … maybe it’s worth it for the convenience now.

#43 2014-05-12 12:08:06

Destry
Website

For what it’s worth, just came across this basic wiki that uses Textile: www.textilewiki.com

Seems to be less of a footprint than MediaWiki and more docs-suited than Txp. And it uses Textile, of course.

(Can’t remember the syntax for making links out of full URLs here. The simpler structure…)

Last edited by philwareham (2014-05-12 13:23:41)

#44 2014-05-12 13:01:28

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #280743:

(Can’t remember the syntax for making links out of full URLs here. The simpler structure…)

"$":http://example.com

Board footer