Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-03-03 15:57:58

springworks
Website

TextDrive officially dead

The inevitable has happened. It should come as no surprise to those who have been following the latest developments at TextDrive, but the following announcement appeared today at the TextDrive forum page:

Maintenance

As anyone looking for decent support or even useful information over the past few months can attest, the revival of TextDrive has not been a success.

What began in mid-2012 as an exciting challenge fuelled by good intentions and lean resources quickly turned into a cleanup project with almost no resources.

It is disappointing to report that after a year and a half of uphill battles and unimagined setbacks, after several costly efforts to regroup and find another way, options to keep TextDrive growing have run out, and we will cease operations on the 14th of March, 2014.

For those who wish to know, details of what went wrong will be made available once shutdown operations have completed.

Sorry to have let you down.

Dean

If anyone still has any sites running on TextDrive servers, now’s the time to find a new home.

#2 2014-03-03 16:57:10

mrdale
Website

Re: TextDrive officially dead

I need to put in a good work for Jacques. He’s been hosting my sites now for about 6 months on very similar setup to TXD (smartos).

If you’re a TXDugee searching for a replacement, you should contact him if you’d like affordable, reliable and familiar hosting environs.

jacques@kaizengarden.co

#3 2014-03-03 19:37:53

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Just for the record, TextDrive has no affiliation with Textpattern apart from some historic background.

#4 2014-03-03 19:41:05

springworks
Website

philwareham wrote #279391:

Just for the record, TextDrive has no affiliation with Textpattern apart from some historic background.

Absolutely and I apologise if anyone got the wrong impression that I was implying any bad news about Textpattern.

But there are several people here who would have hosted with TextDrive/Joyent for historical reasons and I just wanted to make sure the message got out incase anyone hadn’t heard and still had sites hosted theer.

#5 2014-03-03 20:16:01

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

+1 for Jacques

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2014-03-04 09:09:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

From kaizengarden.co/about

Giving back is something which we take seriously. We are in a fortunate position to be able to give back from what we have.

We sponsor the following at present.

• We host the TextPattern mailing list server

Right on.

#7 2014-03-04 10:10:06

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

This highlights a business-model failing of Textpattern. It should have had it’s own professional hosting service years ago like other CMSes offer. Drupal (Acquia), WordPress, Ghost, etc. all have this income model in place: self-host for free or paid-for subscription hosting.

#8 2014-03-04 10:59:46

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #279416:

This highlights a business-model failing of Textpattern. It should have had it’s own professional hosting service years ago like other CMSes offer. Drupal (Acquia), WordPress, Ghost, etc. all have this income model in place: self-host for free or paid-for subscription hosting.

+200%

#9 2014-03-04 11:19:36

springworks
Website

Agreed

#10 2014-03-04 12:29:37

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

paid-for subscription hosting.

If Txp’s installation process was made more robust (properly handled Exceptions, etc) there’s no reason I can see why hosted installs couldn’t become a reality. It’d still need some kind of scripting element to create DBs and handle creating config.php.

Do we have the bandwidth?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#11 2014-03-04 12:57:25

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

What we need first is a dedicated server administrator, as part of the core team, with access to some good scalable hardware. It’d never even get started without someone like that in place.

But we don’t even have ownership of Textpattern domain or brand, so don’t get your hopes up. I could rage on about certain previous project members, but I won’t.

Frustrating.

#12 2014-03-04 19:19:03

jacques
Website

Bloke wrote #279422:

If Txp’s installation process was made more robust (properly handled Exceptions, etc) there’s no reason I can see why hosted installs couldn’t become a reality. It’d still need some kind of scripting element to create DBs and handle creating config.php.

Do we have the bandwidth?

I would think we have the bandwidth to do this. There is also the housekeeping scripts to cleanup txp_logs as well.

Board footer