Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2014-01-11 05:07:51

monicahu

Re: I'm writing a Textpattern book - what should it include?

Wondering if this project is still going or not.

For a time I was undecided to continue my site (for the church) development on Textpattern or migrate it to some other CMS which may have more people (not necessarily techie) know who to support. This is because I may retire or move house and so move to another church. If there is not enough resources for me to show to the people who would continue my work on the website, there is a real risk created to the congregation.

I bought the book Textpattern Solutions back in 2007 after I had started the website in 2006. I even adopted 960.gs and a fan of Nathan Smith. Without much background in PHP or any web developement, having a good book (prefer both e- and p- versions) to help me on Textpattern is a real blessing. Due to my day-time demanding job I have once stopped the design of the site for several years and now I need to come back to upgrade the site. An easy access to a structural references, examples and tips will ease my learning path when I only have a small amount of spare time to offer.

The topics and ideas in preceding posts are all what I want to learn more. I also wish to see more resources given to non-profit making organisations, e.g. small churches, which cannot afford to hire professionals to set up decent websites for easy management. I am also a casual helper to support one website constructed with over 10 pages of pure HTML codes and not on any CMS. I have been asked to migrate the site to WordPress which I hesitate to do so. If the future of Textpattern is promising, I may then convert this website to TXP. Good resources and support (this forum) are what the community needs.

Monica
Life with God is the purpose.

#32 2014-01-11 08:54:21

gaekwad
Admin

It’s still on my radar, yes. Am I working on it right now? Not actively. Making money to pay my rent has taken the top priority slot. I haven’t taken dibs on being the sole author of a book, so if anyone’s reading this and wants to put pen to paper, go right ahead,

#33 2014-01-19 13:35:03

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Regarding your book Pete, this might help once I’ve fleshed it out a bit further.

Basically, as part of the redesign of the brand sites I’m currently deciding whether to scrap the Textpattern.net wiki platform entirely and look at whether there’s a better way of hosting the collaborative documentation efforts. I’m thinking host the docs on GitHub and then pull them back to a Textpattern installation on the textpattern.net domain somehow. To this end, I’m extracting the (viable) wiki docs and rewriting them on GitHub as Textile documents (they may one day become Markdown documents depending on how we decide to serve up these pages).

I’m also taking this opportunity to improve some of the info – but that is a long-term thing which hopefully I’ll get other people helping me on. There’s a lot of out-of-date docs on the wiki.

That also gives the benefit of portability, and using the docs for other things, such as part of a book maybe…

#34 2014-01-19 16:19:51

Els
Admin

philwareham wrote #278277:

to scrap the Textpattern.net wiki platform entirely

Not wanting to hijack this thread I posted something here.

#35 2014-01-20 11:24:32

monicahu

philwareham wrote #278277:

I’m also taking this opportunity to improve some of the info – but that is a long-term thing which hopefully I’ll get other people helping me on. There’s a lot of out-of-date docs on the wiki.

What kind of help you need? As a “not so technical” user of TXP, I wish to see more useful and updated documentation – tag references, examples, tutorials on specific subjects etc. If there is something I can help I will help. After all, I want to use Textpattern for the sites which I volunteer to support. I wish to see Textpattern to go strong.

Monica
Life with God is the purpose.

#36 2014-01-20 11:42:28

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Thanks Monica,

When I’ve got the docs collected together in one place I’ll let you know.

#37 2014-01-20 17:15:47

tomasbavington

I think the idea of a series of mini-books would work quite well or at least breaking it up into chapters. I write articles about emerging technology (www.vmrconsultants.com) and found that, as a rule, conflating individuals authors into one collective book definitely works better than clearly separating them, this is especially true of manuals.

#38 2014-01-22 21:45:22

JimJoe
Website

I like the idea of both a book and small ebooks. I say small ebooks as my Asus tablet has a problem with pdfs over a certain size. My ereaders have no problems with the same size files. About 1-2 megabytes.

I like holding a book in my hands, and I have a number of computer ebooks on my tablet.

#39 2015-09-01 02:21:26

bici
Website

anything to report on progress of a TxP book?

…. texted postive

#40 2015-09-04 09:35:13

gaekwad
Admin

bici wrote #294456:

anything to report on progress of a TxP book?

Hey bici – aside from it being a millstone project (all my own doing, of course), it’s still on the to-do list and will hopefully move its way toward the top. I’m not currently working on it actively (spare time is very rare) but it will happen, likely using 4.6 as the foundation. I haven’t forgotten, and I continue to renew the domain as a reminder on my wallet.

Board footer