Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#2269 2013-09-10 00:02:09

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

For multilingual databases you should be using multiple different collations. Each textpattern table should be using a collation that matches the language, and its characteristics (charset of course should be UTF-8). Otherwise MySQL will not work properly when it comes to searching, matching and sorting.

#2270 2013-09-10 08:14:28

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Gocom wrote:

For multilingual databases you should be using multiple different collations

Oops, well spotted, thanks. Everyone ignore what I said earlier about collations (I edited the posts anyway). Just make sure the field types match.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-09-10 08:16:21)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2271 2013-09-10 11:08:04

datorhaexa
Website

Ok, I made a blank new install on my xampp here of TXP latest and the latest “official” MLP, then overwrote the files with those in github (the plugin files I edited by substituting the php code from the github sources). All ok only the same problem persists — no edits are saved on the website although they are saved in the backend. New articles are being created.

I feel like an idiot right now. Am I the only one with those problems?

#2272 2013-09-10 12:36:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

datorhaexa

Unlikely to be you: it’s the code!

If it’s not working on a new installation with no other plugins installed, then it’s likely the plugin isn’t set up to work with the PHP / MySQL version you’re using. Since it’s a XAMPP install I won’t be able to log in and test it, but if you can let me know as much as possible about your environment it’d help — both your local one and the server you originally found the problem on.

If it’s at all possible to grant me a login to the server it’s happening on (even a Txp login would be fine for now) then I might be able to figure out what’s going on. Thanks.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#2273 2013-09-10 19:05:22

datorhaexa
Website

Stef, after two consecutive installs from scratch, it finally worked on the xampp . I don’t know what has changed as I followed the same procedure each time: new TXP install, MLP official, ran the install and it could not create the two language tables:

Add the per-language article tables… Add the English [l10n_txp_en_gb] table : Failed Add the Deutsch [l10n_txp_de_de] table : Failed

(Although when I looked into the DB the tables were there, if I recall right.)

..then I rewrote files with yours, copied the php code for each plugin file and edited them by replacing all. The last time I did that, I did changes to an article and it worked.

It bothers me that I can’t reproduce the problem because there most certainly is something but it might be caused by the fact that that there are too many procedures of changes to the MLP.

I plan on using your plugin maker to export what I have tomorrow and install on a copy of the website in question and see if it flies. If not, I’ll set up a login for you on the website and send.

P.S. Nothing has changed — still not saving changes. The above short-lived joy was based on forgotten activation of plug-ind. Doh!

Last edited by datorhaexa (2013-09-11 09:52:21)

#2274 2013-09-11 12:02:57

datorhaexa
Website

Ok folks, after all the mess with several installs, I’ve missed the fix-on-the-fix. Things work now. Stef, thanks a lot!!!!!

#2275 2013-09-23 21:02:13

ru

Gocom wrote:
For multilingual databases you should be using multiple different collations

Bloke wrote:
Oops, well spotted, thanks. Everyone ignore what I said earlier about collations (I edited the posts anyway). Just make sure the field types match.

hey there,
i am trying to get the sort order (sort by title) right for german but failed.
from what i have read i need to set the collation for l10n_txp_de_de to latin1_german1_ci, is this true?
unfortunately it does not produce the expectet result :(

i am using a pretty old version of mlp 4.3.0 with txp 4.4.1, i know it has bugs but don’t want to upgrade…
i hope its not related to the temp table created by mlp while doing the queries

could someone please push me into the right direction?

cheers

#2276 2013-10-04 02:27:35

jstubbs
Website

Just updated an old 4.2.0 site with 4.5.4 and MLP from Github – all ok and working, just see one error on screen:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/old/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(812) : eval()'d code on line 1 The above errors were caused by the plugin:l10n 

That’s after overwriting the old l10n.php and gbp_admin_library.php plugins with the code from Github. Any ideas on this?

#2277 2013-10-04 10:37:17

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jstubbs wrote:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘<’

At a gues I’d say don’t paste in the <?php part of the plugin source code. Just copy and paste everything between the # --- BEGIN PLUGIN CODE --- and # --- END PLUGIN CODE --- markers.

#2278 2013-10-04 11:23:07

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

ru wrote:

from what i have read i need to set the collation for l10n_txp_de_de to latin1_german1_ci, is this true?

The content is in UTF-8, so you shouldn’t be using Latin1. You will have to change both the table and its columns to utf8_german_ci, or to any other Language that uses same alphabet as German.

#2279 2013-10-04 16:40:30

ru

Gocom wrote:

The content is in UTF-8, so you shouldn’t be using Latin1. You will have to change both the table and its columns to utf8_german_ci, or to any other Language that uses same alphabet as German.

thank you for your answer – i recognized somebody added a space as first char at this particular article….
removing the space resolved the problem. :)

#2280 2013-10-05 09:13:40

jstubbs
Website

Bloke wrote:

At a gues I’d say don’t paste in the <?php part of the plugin source code. Just copy and paste everything between the # --- BEGIN PLUGIN CODE --- and # --- END PLUGIN CODE --- markers.

Mmm, thanks, but didn’t work! Must be something simple, can’t see it yet.

Board footer