Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2013-08-29 19:53:54

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [wiki] Mediawiki bug? (was: Admin, please delete…)

That would be great indeed.

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#14 2013-08-30 09:38:47

Destry
Website

Hi. Former server admin here.

There should be no multiple installs of media wiki on the server (except the sandbox, see below). Maybe the install files were put in a subfolder or something and then left there after install, but as far as I ever updated anything, it was always with the latest MW version. Same concept as updating a Txp install. Having said that, it was Ruud who updated the wiki install last time (he graciously fixed the thumbnail problem in the gallery views too), so if you have any questions about multiple installs, he would be a better person to ask (last touched, kind of thing).

As for character encodings, this was a problem with a lot of languages after the server migration at Joyent (also about the time Ruud helped out with things). In fact, in the wiki’s lifetime, it’s moved servers at least twice, and each time it has fucked up the character encoding in the wiki for whatever reason… probably a MySQL thing.

My guess is you can safely upgrade the wiki with the newest install and that much will be fine. Being it’s an old install, it might also address the character problem after the upgrade.

Lastly, I’ve spent a great deal of time writing administrator docs (Help > Back-end administration). There’s useful info there, if perhaps a little dated in places. I suggest you peruse it and actually read the docs concerning upgrades, etc. One thing it talks about is the sandbox install, which was used for testing MW Extensions and major version upgrades. The sandbox might be the multiple install you’re talking about. If so, that’s a completely separate install from the live install, and you should probably test an upgrade on that first (for practice, if nothing else), and then do the live install upgrade.

Thanks to Els for getting my attention in G+. I can’t follow threads in the forum (no notification functionality) so I don’t really hang out here anymore except for the occasional fly-by. People need to reach out to me if they need me.

#15 2013-08-30 09:58:54

Destry
Website

@NicolasGraph (and all),

One thing to keep in mind is that English content in the wiki needs some editing. It’s a continuous and gradual process, actually, but I’m trying to find time to bring content more up-to-date and concise, including new images against the current admin-side, etc. What this means is that any translation of English content is also a continuous process.

That’s not to say translated content for a given language can’t be written independent of the English pages for the specific needs of a given language. But in that case I would propose a separate website like textpattern.fr, or whatever, so we could remove the difficult translation process from the English wiki. I’ve talked about this before in more detail in another thread, but I can’t remember where. If anybody does remember, please remind me of the link here. Thanks.

#16 2013-08-30 10:13:02

els

#17 2013-08-30 10:42:37

Destry
Website

That’s it. Thanks Els.

#18 2013-08-30 11:27:37

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Destry a écrit:

I would propose a separate website like textpattern.fr, or whatever…

Merci Destry,
Here’s my reply.

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2013-08-30 11:28:12)

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#19 2013-08-30 15:09:15

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry wrote:

There should be no multiple installs of media wiki on the server (except the sandbox, see below). Maybe the install files were put in a subfolder or something and then left there after install, but as far as I ever updated anything, it was always with the latest MW version. Same concept as updating a Txp install. Having said that, it was Ruud who updated the wiki install last time (he graciously fixed the thumbnail problem in the gallery views too), so if you have any questions about multiple installs, he would be a better person to ask (last touched, kind of thing).

As I remember it, there were already multiple installs before I upgraded. I never touched the other ones. It’s likely that I created a README or UPGRADE text file there to document what I did during the upgrade. This was 2 years ago. Since then, there were one or two migrations. I don’t think I have access anymore.

My guess is you can safely upgrade the wiki with the newest install and that much will be fine. Being it’s an old install, it might also address the character problem after the upgrade.

And if not, file a bug with the mediawiki developers. Maintaining a local patch set is far from ideal when you have to upgrade.

#20 2013-08-30 22:23:30

els

ruud wrote:

And if not, file a bug with the mediawiki developers.

File a bug for an obsolete version?

Last edited by els (2013-08-30 22:28:27)

#21 2013-08-31 08:05:26

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Els wrote:

File a bug for an obsolete version?

No, file a bug if it still happens after upgrading to the latest version ;)

#22 2013-08-31 13:20:52

els

ruud wrote:

No, file a bug if it still happens after upgrading to the latest version ;)

Ah, okay :)

#23 2013-08-31 13:53:13

Destry
Website

Hey, Nicolas. Just realized you’re in Strasbourg. Damn, I never thought I’d see the day another Txp user was in Strasbourg. That calls for a drink sometime. Hit me up on the twit channel: @wion

Board footer