Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#2221 2013-06-18 01:03:41

Kjeld
Website

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

Bloke wrote:

If you want me to have a nosey around, feel free to send over a login.

Stef,

I have been unable to figure out the problems. I would like to accept your offer to check it out and just created an account for you.

Speak to you soon! ^^

Kjeld

Old Photos of Japan – Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
MeijiShowa – Stock photos of Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
JapaneseStreets.com – Japanese street fashion (mostly txp)

#2222 2013-06-21 09:04:35

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Just by way of an update, I’m currently debugging Kjeld’s problem thanks to the gracious use of his site as a digital playground. The problem is something I’ve never seen before and I know why it’s happening but have yet to find a way round it.

For the technically minded, Kjeld’s site is throwing the following error when saving an article rendition under 4.5.4:

Cannot use output buffering in output buffering display handlers

Most people on the web seem to think this is due to compression being enabled, but on Kjeld’s server that doesn’t appear to be the case. I can’t replicate it on my system, but clearly something is amiss.

The way that MLP (currently) works — and the reason it’s so flaky between Txp updates — is that it uses output buffer scraping to do its magic. What this means is that before Txp writes its content to the screen, MLP looks at the content block, searches for certain string sequences and replaces them with its own markup. Then Txp outputs the (changed) content. The plugin does this to effect changing the ‘articles’ tab name to ‘renditions’ for example or adding the language list selectors at the top of the panel; both things that could nowadays be done in a much cleaner manner.

There are a host of other things it does using the same technique so the slightest change to admin side markup can cause untold frustration and teeth gnashing. It’s no fault of the plugin, per se, because at the time it was written that was the only way to do things. But it needs updating in this area, big time. And it’s a fairly big job.

So MLP does its screen scrapey thing inside its own output buffers (using PHP’s ob_start(), ob_end_flush(), and so forth). These buffers are “stacked” on top of Txp’s own buffers and when the time comes to squirt stuff to the screen, the buffers are automatically collapsed and consolidated into one stream and presented on the screen. Except when an AJAX request comes along, Txp tries to collapse the buffers just before sending the results back to the browser (send_script_response() in txplib_misc.php), finds there are stacked buffers and — for reasons unknown to me at present — borks on some systems.

I’ve tried manually collapsing / flushing the buffers so there’s only one (internal, default) buffer in the stack but Txp seems to then lose MLP’s edits. So perhaps that’s not the correct approach. I have an inkling that the solution lies in simply detecting the fact that the request is via AJAX and bypassing any buffer wrangling code entirely in that case. I shall be experimenting with this later today and hope to have a solution very soon.

Sorry for any hassle this is causing. I’m on the case.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-06-21 09:05:32)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2223 2013-06-21 13:53:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Well, the cheap fix apparently works so if you’re having trouble with this or similar issues, give the bleeding edge version a whirl.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#2224 2013-07-02 14:52:40

[Axel]
Website

The “Sorry, the form could not be submitted. Please try again, later.” message is gone, but…

I get an “internal_error “Undefined offset: 1”. while parsing the plugin sources (i10n, zem_contact:lang_mlp) through ied_plugin_composer. The gbp_admin_library.php parses fine.

While running the MLP plugin I get an “Internal error “There is no such grant defined for user ‘USERNAME’ on host ‘HOSTSHOW GRANTS FORUSER’@‘HOST’;”.”

on the MLP Setup I get “Insert the strings for the MLP Pack : Failed”

if I clone an article, and edit it afterwards, the new version got saved in the textpattern table, but not in the i10n_txp_de_de or other languages. the proper connection in the l10n_articles table is made though.

on other languages except the default nothing is displayed.

The installation is Textpattern 4.5.4 and no other plugins are installed except IED

You have any idea what could cause the problem?

Last edited by [Axel] (2013-07-02 14:54:43)

Greetz [Axel]

#2225 2013-07-02 20:07:18

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Axel wrote:

While running the MLP plugin I get an “Internal error “There is no such grant defined for user ‘USERNAME’ on host ‘HOSTSHOW GRANTS FORUSER’@‘HOST’;”.”

That’s a pretty big MySQL error and will cause all sorts of hassles with the plugin. If you can log into your host cpanel and alter the permissions for the MySQL user assigned to the database to include Grant (and Create Temporary Tables) — in fact, setting All Privileges will definitely fix it :-p — then that should at least allow us to find if there are any other problems with the actual plugin.

Are you using the version of the plugin on GitHub which has fixed a lot of the recent issues you’re describing?

Last edited by Bloke (2013-07-02 20:09:02)

#2226 2013-07-02 20:56:59

[Axel]
Website

Bloke wrote:

Are you using the version of the plugin on GitHub which has fixed a lot of the recent issues you’re describing?

Yes I did used the Git Repository. (the older version wasn’t using grants am I correct)

If you can log into your host cpanel and alter the permissions for the MySQL user assigned to the database to include Grant (and Create Temporary Tables) — in fact, setting All Privileges will definitely fix it

that’s a problem, because its a vHost, and I have no access to the cpanel. I’ll try taking to the provider.

anyway

THX

Axel

Greetz [Axel]

#2227 2013-07-04 12:05:21

[Axel]
Website

I made a clean installation on a 1and1 server with the same problem (NO grants@anybody) but the official release works there with no error codes.

Greetz [Axel]

#2228 2013-07-05 08:20:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Axel wrote:

the official release works there with no error codes.

Official release being, which version? 4.5.2.20121204? In which case I’ll need to investigate.

I don’t recall changing any GRANT stuff, but now that I have an “updater” segment of the code which tries to keep the tables in sync, maybe that’s what is causing the problem. Perhaps it’s trying to automatically ‘resync’ your tables so they stay in line with whatever custom fields you have set up (are you using glz_cf on this site, btw?)

If you would like me to check it out on your server then please feel free to send me a login and I’ll see if I can track it down.

#2229 2013-07-05 10:28:37

[Axel]
Website

Yes it is mlp-4.5.2.20121204.
bq. (are you using glz_cf on this site, btw?)

no, nothing special setups, or plugins installed (exept ied_plugin_composer)

I forgot to mention that the page is on a subdomain with these settings and works without any problems so far.

(login is send)

Last edited by [Axel] (2013-07-05 10:46:44)

Greetz [Axel]

#2230 2013-07-15 13:48:26

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke schrieb:

Well, the cheap fix apparently works so if you’re having trouble with this or similar issues, give the bleeding edge version a whirl.

hiii

i had the same issue, txp was reporting: “sorry, the form could not be submitted. please try again later”.
so i implemented the above solution. that helps with the error message and saves the stuff to the ‘textpattern’ table.

BUT: when you edit an article, the changes are not saved to the ‘l10n_txp_en_gb’ table. only when you publish an article the first time, it does that.
i looked it up in the db. the changes are in the ‘textpattern’ table, but not in the language table.

#2231 2013-07-17 13:31:09

wornout
Website

Installing MLP 4.5.2 on Textpattern 4.5.4. Everything is fine until I save article’s rendition.
All edit are ignored and not saved in l10n_txp_## table…

How can I solve it?

#2232 2013-07-27 02:27:33

Teemu

wornout wrote:

Installing MLP 4.5.2 on Textpattern 4.5.4. Everything is fine until I save article’s rendition.
All edit are ignored and not saved in l10n_txp_## table…
How can I solve it?

I’ve got the same problem. Did anyone find solution?

Looking at the database, ‘textpattern’ and l10n_txp_##_## table structures look identical, so that should not be the cause.

Last edited by Teemu (2013-07-27 10:27:26)

Board footer