Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2013-06-18 23:25:05

jstubbs
Website

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish

Algaris wrote:

I also need to finish writing a TXP Tips article I promised a while ago, regarding how I use jmd_CSV to import CSV files into Textpattern.

Thanks Ross, that would be great! Come around the forums every now and then and say hi!

#14 2013-06-19 03:27:36

bici
Website Mastodon

Algaris wrote:

Hopefully I won’t completely disappear as I still have some internal odds and ends running on Textpattern. I also need to finish writing a TXP Tips article I promised a while ago, regarding how I use jmd_CSV to import CSV files into Textpattern.

looking forward to it.

…. texted postive

#15 2013-06-19 08:54:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

We’ve had to use Drupal for a very large international site because of the strong multi language functionality it has, which Textpattern doesn’t.

Yet… :-)

OT: I really really really (^lots) want to make a big deal out of this. MLP is getting old. I’ve papered over the cracks, but it’s gradually wearing out and needs a reboot as a plugin, not a hack. A lot of the output buffering stuff it does isn’t necessary any more and make it less robust and harder to maintain as Txp marches onward. I think Textpacks and the proposed core meta store will go a long way towards helping me make a better, leaner multi-lingual experience available.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#16 2013-06-19 09:14:05

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@bloke

OT: Yeah it was a real shame, as the original version of the site was Textpattern – it was so successful that the client wanted to use the site as the basis for all their international sites. We had to make the hard decision to use Drupal for that because of the language stuff.

Now the site is much heavier on resources, contains messier HTML/JS/CSS and needs a team of developers to support it. The site content authors preferred using Textpattern too, as they find Drupal very complex (even though we turn off nearly everything for content authors apart from what they need). Hey ho.

If this ever happens again, I’d serious consider paying core developers to work on Textpattern’s core full time (for a certain time period) in order to add these kinds of features more quickly. That also brings us back to the thorny topic of if we generated money somehow, then core devs could be paid to work more on Textpattern (I’d love to sideline some client work and do something like that).

#17 2013-06-20 06:49:27

candyman

A really interesting discussion.

It would be nice, although I understand that not everyone have so much free time, after the passage of the Algaris’s website on WordPress, to realize the version with Textpattern: only to highlight the differences between the two instruments.

It’s a shame: we have only lost another website powered by Textpattern and gained another website powered by Wordpress: this thing will cause the next time that a person has a doubt as to which platform to choose, will choose again Wordpress. How can we stop this trend?

The popularity is often mistaken for quality.

For the community of Txtpattern would be really helpful a sort of comparison show. See this site? If they had used Textpattern would be this way: testing the difference!

OT: at the time I choose Textpattern because the sites made ​​with Wordpress they all looked alike, and especially slower, to me. I was not wrong.
Unfortunately, not being a designer I had to go to a professional.
So I ask if anyone can recommend some book / tutorial that explains exactly how you can

create their own designs/templates from scratch and slot in Txp tags as appropriate to generate the dynamic content

it has always been the hardest part for me.

Thank you.

Last edited by candyman (2013-06-20 06:54:15)

#18 2013-06-25 17:37:39

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote:

Think gaekwad lives only about an hour from you too now. Party!

My ears are burning.

Cracky to Porthleven is about an hour and a half away. We don’t have many of them fangled dual-carriaged motorways down ‘ere, Stef. I’d be happy to host a mini-meet at my place, should there be interest. Well, assuming I can get The World’s Longest Running Divorce Proceedings and Britain’s Most Inept House Sale sorted soon, anyways.

And Ross, if you’re still here and I haven’t missed you: be well.

Board footer