Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-05-17 13:30:09

fizzwebdesign

[feedback] Where are basic instructions!?

Ok, I’ve installed textpattern & all is fine.

But I have spent a bit of time going round in circles searching the site for a basic overview of ‘what to do next’ – to no avail.

It’s frustrating that the site doesn’t (as far as I can find) have a basic overview with simple instructions from scratch, if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

I want to simply be able to allow my user to edit (only text) a pre-set & styled div on a site. I’m presuming some sort of tag will be required in my html code, but where do I find this info?

Many thanks in advance

#2 2013-05-17 14:55:56

uli

Re: [feedback] Where are basic instructions!?

Welcome to the Textpattern forum.

Textpattern comes with a variety of proposals on what to do and where to find it once you visit the home page of your new installation.

Re your user: Authorship and privilege level decide whether an author can edit an article/image/ etc. I found a small plugin to be very helpful in this context: smd_faux_role. It demonstrates which elements and panels of the backend can be accessed when you’re a member of what user level.

Feel free to ask for more information.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2013-05-17 15:12:11

fizzwebdesign

Thanks for reply but I don’t see any instruction or basic How To on the home page of my installation.

It seems to me that like may other similar options online, Textpattern presumes the user to be born with a basic knowledge of the programme, I’m afraid I wasn’t so will be looking elsewhere.
Thanks

#4 2013-05-17 15:17:47

uli

fizzwebdesign wrote:

Thanks for reply but I don’t see any instruction or basic How To on the home page of my installation.

Um, well, it’s just a click away, or isn’t there a “What do you want to do next?” text?
You could also start with the TXP Network links top right here in the forum.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2013-05-17 15:29:04

fizzwebdesign

Thanks anyway, but when I download something I don’t expect to have to go on a bit of an easter egg hunt to try to find out how it works, I just don’t have the time.

#6 2013-05-17 15:33:33

uli

Yeah, why did anyone invent books, it all could be said on page one.

#7 2013-05-17 17:31:28

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Usage instructions are here at Textpattern CMS Documentation

#8 2013-05-17 17:58:48

CeBe
Plugin Author
Website

Basically :

• page templates are under Presentation > Pages. These templates can be divided into sub-templates.
  • sub-templates are called forms and are under Presentation > Forms

#9 2013-05-20 09:29:48

carlahearne
Website

Textpattern isn’t something you’ll pick up in 10 minutes, but once you realise the power it has, you’ll never look at another system. These people that expect to be able to get up and running just like that and can’t be bothered to do a bit of reading need to get realistic; there isn’t a system out there that you can just ‘use’ right away…

#10 2013-05-22 16:57:10

skewray
Website

I just started using Textpattern last week. I am somewhat up to speed with how it works at this point. I found the learning curve steep at first. This was for three reasons:

• I started by trying to read the book. The book is frankly (apologies to the authors) awful.
  • The online documentation and examples are scattered all over the web.
  • The underlying language is confusing; ie, “page”, “form”, “article” all have other meanings.

Addressing these issues would go a long way towards lowering the barrier to Textpattern adoption.

Last edited by skewray (2013-05-22 16:57:29)

#11 2013-05-22 17:34:36

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Don’t get me started on the whole ‘forms’ naming subject, I’ve raged enough about that in the past. Unfortunately someone a long time ago decided that was a good name (it isn’t) and now we are stuck with it. Pages is fine though, as they are indeed main page templates. Articles is debatable but I can live with that one too.

I will be redoing the Textpattern website at some point and I’ll hopefully address the ease of finding documentation then.

#12 2013-05-23 17:56:10

bici
Website Mastodon

fizzwebdesign wrote:

Ok, I’ve installed textpattern & all is fine.

But I have spent a bit of time going round in circles searching the site for a basic overview of ‘what to do next’ – to no avail.

I found this tutorial quite useful. http://fuelyourcoding.com/create-a-simple-portfolio-website-and-blog-with-textpattern/

…. texted postive

Board footer