Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-04-20 15:55:50

popeye3

Looking for a simple theme, easy to customise

Hi all,

Could I get some help with choosing a simple theme with customisable style sheet. I spent a couple of days installing a few packaged designs from textgarden.org and trying to change what I’d like changed – but am having heaps of trouble!
I guess my main problem is I am fairly good at “plain” HTML and CSS, but have no programming experience and find it difficult to deal with textpattern’s inner workings.

So… where can I get a good looking theme, which I can customise to my needs – eg by adding/removing blocks of links or ads, adding snippets of code to be included on every page etc? I’m happy to pay a reasonable amount of money for a professional theme, as long as it comes with detailed instructions and/or some support from the developer.

TIA.

#2 2013-04-20 18:19:43

zero
Website

Re: Looking for a simple theme, easy to customise

Have you had a good look at the default textpattern theme? The CSS is well documented and so quite easy to change to your needs. The HTML is simple and up to date. There may be one or two things not so “plain” but they are well worth learning.

You need to know the basics of Textpattern’s tag system no matter what theme you use, and you will learn most of what you need to know from studying the default theme. The pages have the outline HTML and refer to “forms” which are handy snippets that can be used repeatedly for different needs. You should study the ‘default’ article form, for example and see what HTML is used. Again it is well commented so if you copy the default article form for backup pruposes while you experiment with the form, you will soon see how the pieces all fit together and can rearrange them to your needs. Similarly with other forms.

It might seem a bit daunting but please believe me, I have no skills beyond CSS and HTML myself and I didn’t find it too difficult. It will probably be easier than hoping for a ready made theme that is just right for you. By doing that you will be getting a professional theme, with detailed instructions and plenty of support from the developers and the community via this forum.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#3 2013-04-20 20:51:16

popeye3

zero wrote:

Have you had a good look at the default textpattern theme? The CSS is well documented and so quite easy to change to your needs. The HTML is simple and up to date. There may be one or two things not so “plain” but they are well worth learning.

Thank you for replying. I am a bit frustrated after struggling with Textpattern for nearly a week, and getting not much further than on Day One. The lack of streamlined, commonsensical documentation doesn’t help – no criticism meant of course, it’s just that the hurdles I’m finding make me want to go the easy way to blogger…. much as I hate the “ethics” behind it.

Yet, I suppose I’ll have to set a time limit. It’s frustrating to see how complicated simple things can get – I can build a simple static Website from scratch in hours, but evidently grasping the concept of connecting snippets of “code” to get the continuity required for a blog is beyond my capabilities…

Thank you anyway.

#4 2013-04-21 08:05:29

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi popey

I know that txp is sometimes hard to learn for beginners but i can assure that it s really a good CMS for handling websites.

There s a wiki that can gives you some hints here

And you can ask question here in the forum, try to explain what you want to do and you will have answers here, dont forget to use the search form in theforum you can find a lot of informations.

Cheers

#5 2013-04-21 14:11:07

popeye3

Dragondz wrote:

And you can ask question here in the forum, try to explain what you want to do and you will have answers here, dont forget to use the search form in theforum you can find a lot of informations.

That’s nice to know, thank you.
I’ve been playing around a bit more after coming across this: <https://github.com/philwareham/txp-h5bp-theme> (I forgot how/where)
Am currently de-constructing the default pages to define common sections as “forms”… hope all goes well, and I’ve found something worth asking about… in a separate thread.

Thanks again :-)

Board footer