Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-04-04 04:07:51

jstubbs
Website

Potomac Wiffleball League

Freshly launched yesterday – Potomac Wiffleball League is the premier Wiffleball League in Washington DC.

This site makeover was a huge effort given the vast amount of content being pulled in from various sources, including a bunch of custom PHP scripts which power the stats system used on the site. The previous site was running an older version of TXP and needed updating along with all its plugins.

Some work still needs to be done on the site, mainly for content and display changes.

#2 2013-04-05 10:01:19

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Potomac Wiffleball League

Hi Jonathan,

another great site, though a little heavy (for my old iPod) on the first load. Do you serve the same bg image for all resolutions?

I have seen on G+ that you are struggling with some third source markup in box stats. It should be easy to fix with etc_query, just tell what you want to achieve, if necessary.

#3 2013-04-05 11:19:42

jstubbs
Website

Hi Oleg,

Thanks for the comments which I tend to agree with. I’d rather see faster page loads, but then this is loads to show (sorry for the pun!) so this is a little tricky.

I have used adi_mobile along with etc_pagination to display less results on mobile (etc_pagination tends to get wide at the default 10 results), but I haven’t yet used it to display less articles on mobile. To be honest that’s the purview of the client.

The bg image is not displayed on medium screens down, as I noted in the comments on Google+, the design was from someone else and I would argue it was very desktop oriented, so some inventing had to be done.

I’m not 100% sure what will happen with the box stats, depends a little what the client wants to see. The major issue is that the software programme they use spits out nasty HTML tables with inline styles. Stef wrote a simple plugin to strip out some of the nasty stuff and insert a style “responsive” to the table, which ensures that on mobile the table will be responsive. Personally, I’m not sure its a good idea to do much more than that given that we don’t know whether the markup from the software programme will change, so I prefer to keep things simple.

But for sure, I’ll let you know if we need help with it. Happy that there is another smart plugin developer out there who supports not only his plugins but helps others. Thanks for that.

#4 2013-04-05 11:48:52

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

jstubbs wrote:

who supports not only his plugins but helps others.

Who’s that guy? :) I am precisely supporting my plugin here, because it does exactly what you need: import and transform data. The markup you are looking for (-see here) is obtained with

<txp:etc_query url="http://www.potomacwiffleball.org/Box-Scores/2287/world-series-moose-knuckles-at-superman-s-wheelchair-su12-game-2"
	query="//table"
	replace=".//font/node()/=../../..;
		.//font|.//tt;
		.//@*[name()!='colspan'];
		@@class=responsive"
/>

Just bragging, sorry. :)

Last edited by etc (2013-04-06 10:33:47)

Board footer