Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-03-19 18:45:40

ecklesroad
Plugin Author
Website

Error in Content > Images tab on php 5.4

I’m running this error on my localhost dev server which is running php 5.4.4

Internal error “Declaration of txp_thumb::write() should be compatible with wet_thumb::write($infile, $outfile)”. I did some searches and it seems to be related to plugins that work in the images tab but I have none enabled. The same error does not show on our production server running php 5.3.xxxxx. I can’t make heads or tails of what would be making this error.

I can make the error go away by flipping the production mode from Testing to Live.

Here’s a paste of my diagnostic info

#2 2013-03-19 20:05:24

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Error in Content > Images tab on php 5.4

Sorry for the inconveniences you’ve been facing, Nate.

Blames on plugins are bit false. There are plugins that might be generating same strict standards notices too, but the message is in fact generated by the core. Textpattern to be blame here.

Basically, in Textpattern 4.5.4 and older, we have a thumb class, a ‘3rd-party’ thumbnail generator library, which then we are extending to our likes. Well, the extending doesn’t fit the rules set by the language. The member we are overwriting are not defined as outlined in the parent class, as mentioned in the notice you’ve seen. Basically, some programming mistakes. Our apologies.

The error has always been there, but Textpattern has suppressed PHP’s strict notices. But, in PHP 5.4 and newer these will be visible due to error reporting being bit wonky in Textpattern. Actually, you might get error generated by Textpattern’s error handlers themselves (well, you will).

That aside, we’ve fixed the issue with the thumbnail class in r4110, and also with the error handlers while aback. These issues will be resolved in Textpattern 4.6.0 release, or potentially earlier if the issues are separately corrected in 4.5.x branch (codebases are different).

Until then, you can safely avoid the notices by running your sites in Live mode. When you temporarily need debugging and testing modes, you can just ignore the messages.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-03-19 20:11:29)

#3 2013-03-19 20:10:09

ecklesroad
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Error in Content > Images tab on php 5.4

Thanks for the explanation. I kinda figured it has something to do with the newer version of php.

Board footer