Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2013-01-22 14:11:33

gour

Re: [feedback] What's wrong with Textpattern (~7 years later)

colak wrote:

I guess the answer would depend if you are doing a site for yourself or for a client.

Let’s say I want to do both. :-)

If it was your site, you could do anything you want as you would know how to produce the tags to call your content, but if it is for a client, I would keep it simple: Articles in categories and as few sections as possible. This will made it easier to maintain and troubleshoot as your client’s requirements evolve.

Thank you. I was asking for ‘no-plugins’ site not being experienced how much trouble they could create in terms of smooth future txp upgrades/maintenance.

#26 2013-01-22 14:12:33

gour

merz1 wrote:

Tags tell you short & precise outside what’s inside a drawer or behind a door (fire hose box, 1st aid kit).

But, may I notice that tags are not part of the original blueprint?

#27 2013-01-22 16:50:50

merz1
Website

gour wrote:

But, may I notice that tags are not part of the original blueprint?

We are talking about the article keyword field.
Due to the age of TXP a plug-in (tru_tags) adds loads of ‘modern’ tagging features.

If one day tru_tags should be incompatible with TXP then we will need to discuss core integration again.

Today, due to dev resources, everybody is happy with tru_tags if tagging features are needed. This way the original TXP blueprint stays lean and mean (regarding performance).

What is more relevant: (IMHO: To achieve fastest performance) Core TXP search doesn’t support boolean AND logic :)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#28 2013-01-22 19:47:51

gour

merz1 wrote:

We are talking about the article keyword field.

OK.

Due to the age of TXP a plug-in (tru_tags) adds loads of ‘modern’ tagging features.

Yeah, tagging is, imho, important feature to have.

Today, due to dev resources, everybody is happy with tru_tags if tagging features are needed. This way the original TXP blueprint stays lean and mean (regarding performance).

“The colour of cat does not matter, as long as it catches the mice…”

#29 2013-03-18 13:16:52

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Hi Gour welcome!

“domain.tld/archive/section{1,2,3}”

Would be domain.tld/section name=archive/category name=“section”- article{1,2,3}

I think it’s just that you’re thinking of the word section all the time, where your section is actually your page, your category is under that, but can be made ‘section specific’, then you publish articles tagging them with your section and category and they will show on the corresponding page, no plugins needed!

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#30 2013-03-18 13:47:41

gour

hilaryaq wrote:

Hi Gour welcome!

Thank you.

I think it’s just that you’re thinking of the word section all the time, where your section is actually your page, your category is under that, but can be made ‘section specific’, then you publish articles tagging them with your section and category and they will show on the corresponding page, no plugins needed!

Yeah, I got it somehow after migrating my 1st site to Txp…now researching about theming/CSS frameworks etc. ;)

#31 2013-03-18 14:00:16

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Yay! I do vaguely remember the learning curve for txp, but there’s a moment that it clicks and gets really easy from that point.. I’m a front end designer so if you have any queries for styling etc post away!

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#32 2013-03-18 14:44:39

gour

hilaryaq wrote:

Yay! I do vaguely remember the learning curve for txp, but there’s a moment that it clicks and gets really easy from that point..

:-)

I’m a front end designer so if you have any queries for styling etc post away!

I’d like, at leasr, to be able to design something and already posted my query here :-)

Board footer