Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-03-15 11:56:51

Manaus
Website

Lag in showing updated informations in 4.5.4

Hello,
using the admin side for 4.5.4 version I notice some heavy persistency in showing updated data. For example, if I enter new custom fields, and go about for the website, and get back to preferences, I see ‘custom1’ and ‘custom2’ again.
Same with article list, image list etc. After refreshing the page, it usually comes the right values. Nonetheless it happens frequenly.
Same with saving new articles, sometimes txp returns error ‘Article is already being saved by admin’

Any idea?

Thanks!

Last edited by Manaus (2013-03-15 12:05:04)

#2 2013-03-15 15:53:55

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Lag in showing updated informations in 4.5.4

Sounds bit like client-side caching. Usually things break like this when the admin panel is sending caching headers or is behind of a caching proxy.

If the admin pages do send caching headers, or are cached on a server, you will not be able to get up-to-date information. Instead of you getting a editor form with current information from the server, you get a one from your cache.

What are the HTTP response headers you are receiving from the server when you get to these problematic pages? You should be able to view the full header information on any problematic page in any modern web browser’s developer/JavaScript/web console. You would have to disable any caching-enabling HTTP headers you see for Textpattern admin-side location.

Another potential reason could be a caching server. Are you using any? A proxy? If there is a change you are, exclude the admin-side location from it.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-03-15 15:55:03)

#3 2013-04-05 10:52:53

Manaus
Website

I see a Cache-control: max-age=86400 (!), but just in the administration side…

#4 2013-04-17 08:49:58

Manaus
Website

Any solution anyone to how changing the Cache-control: max-age=86400 header in the admin?
Thanks..

#5 2013-04-17 10:30:03

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

If you are running some Apache modules that are doing the caching you could turn those off on directory basis. If you are running a header module, you could overwrite that particular header on directory basis.

And the last but not least, there is rah_nocache, a Textpattern plugin that is designed to prevent clients and proxies from admin-side pages. Getting it running is super simple, doesn’t require any configuration.

#6 2013-04-17 13:12:04

makss
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve seen a few topics about caching the admin interface. It may be useful to add ETag header in the Textpattern admin-side for html pages and ajax.

Fast-fix mini-plugin, for test only

if(@txpinterface == 'admin'){
	header('ETag: "'.rand().'"');
}

More correct: need use callback in ob_start() and calculate ETag as md5($textFullPage).

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

Board footer