Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#265 2013-03-11 00:32:36

kvnmcwebn
Website

Re: mem_postmaster - Postmaster Revamp

There isn’t really an alternative that I’m aware of. If you’re going to downgrade I’ve just installed the above version on a site that is running 4.4.1 and it seems to be working well so far. Even though it’s a bit buggy it’s more elegant and flexible than some of the wordpress ones I’ve used. Maybe we should try and ransom an update at some stage as it’s a necessary feature for many people.

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#266 2013-03-11 02:30:43

dnichols.178

kvnmcwebn,

Spent the afternoon researching alternatives and I am afraid you’re right. Did a quick trial on downgrading and I had a few issues. Don’t know if it will be a viable alternative either. I have been looking at some outside newsletter apps, but I know my client would prefer the functionality of having everything in one admin panel.

Has anyone attempted to contact the author about updating?

#267 2013-03-11 07:07:09

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

there is indeed one issue. We can not add subscribers through the admin side.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#268 2013-03-11 07:54:46

mrdale
Website

I’m probably going to sponsor an upgrade to this plugin to refurbish it for hive and txp 4.6ish…

Consider this a call for interest and donations (totally optional)

#269 2013-03-11 11:06:27

colak
Admin

mrdale wrote:

I’m probably going to sponsor an upgrade to this plugin to refurbish it for hive and txp 4.6ish…

Consider this a call for interest and donations (totally optional)

Count me in. Having said that, I understand that there will be some major changes in 4.7 which I think that they should be taken into consideration.

Yiannis
——————————

#270 2013-03-11 17:34:27

kvnmcwebn
Website

dnichols.178 wrote:

kvnmcwebn,

Spent the afternoon researching alternatives and I am afraid you’re right….

Well you may need to get an outside service like mail chimp or something.
They usually give you a bit of code to put in an iframe or the like, for the subscriber form.
There are a few other positives to large mailing lists not running on your/your clients hosting package. Like getting in trouble for spamming if you got flagged for it right… I mean if it was a large list mail chimp or something is not a bad idea.

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#271 2013-03-12 16:07:36

mrdale
Website

mrd_postmaster

OK, I’ve proposed a rewrite of this workhorse that will hopefully garner enough interest to make it a reality.

• if you’re willing to contribute to a bounty pool for a dev, please pledge in that thread.
  • if you have a feature request, post it there, we’ll discuss and add if possible.

Let’s see how far this goes…

#272 2013-08-05 02:02:14

Keepital

Ok, so it’s August now, and after scanning these 28 pages of threads I have some questions:

I get that it works with newsletters/mass mailings, but the original reason I ended up in this forum is because I followed the Email_on_post thread here

So my questions are as follows
If I install this mem_postmaster plugin, does that mean that I’ll end up with a Subscribe button where readers can subscribe by email to my latest posts?
Never found out the answer as to whether this is compatible with 4.5.? (I’m specifically interested in whether this is compatible with the current version, 4.5.4) —- I don’t want to install this plugin if there’s no point, because I barely know what I’m doing anyway as a newbie.
I went to Feedburner to check out the email subscribe button there, but I couldn’t figure it out – Is Feedburner what the rest of you use for this subscribe service for your blogs? (For this question, I’m interested in the responses from those that have blog sites; not websites – a website is more likely to use a newsletter service, which I’m not interested in.)

Last edited by Keepital (2013-08-05 02:12:43)

#273 2013-08-05 02:28:02

colak
Admin

Hi Kepital, this plugin is not compatible with 4.5.x

If I install this mem_postmaster plugin, does that mean that I’ll end up with a Subscribe button where readers can subscribe by email to my latest posts?

Yes and no. It expands the capabilities of txp to add the subscribe field in one or more/all pages and adds the option to post articles to that list

Yiannis
——————————

#274 2013-09-06 17:37:50

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

I just setup the plugin on txp 4.5 and it works,
the backend is definitely not pretty but whatever.

You can’t really send the emails from the write tab, but you can from the extensions tab.
You are probably not going to send an old articles right?
so just set the form with article_custom limit to a single article sorted as posted desc, then you got the latest article, that’s what I do.

If that’s good enough for you then here’s how you should setup it.

Can’t add a new single subscriber from the extensions tab?
just use this workaround of mine, where I’m hiding the not working subscribe-form, and replace it with a working one using an iframe.

Unsubscribe link doesn’t work? here’s how to fix it.

Want to import a list of subscribers emails?
use this template:

"","","name1@example.com","default","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"","","name2@example.com","default","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"","","name3@example.com","default","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"","","name4@example.com","default","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"","","name5@example.com","default","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",""

The first empty cell is for the first name, the second if for last name, then the email adrress, the list name, custom-field1,custom-field2………custom-field20

If I had time I was fixing the look of it, but besides of that it works.

I HATE NEWSLETTERS! hopefully this is my last time doing it LOL.

Last edited by THE BLUE DRAGON (2013-09-06 17:39:14)

#275 2013-09-06 17:47:46

mrdale
Website

A significant update is in the works. getting there…

#276 2013-09-07 20:51:15

Keepital

-Let’s say I add a page to my blog called SUBSCRIBE
-Visitors like my blog and they click on the SUBSCRIBE page, which opens up an input form where they can submit their email address to subscribe to my future updates.
-That email address/input is captured and written to a database that I will create & store within Bluehost’s cpanel.
-Can I then install this plugin and use it (mem_postmaster Postmaster Revamp) to mass email each new article I write to my subscribers?

*It sounds like I can -MiketheVike spells it out here
bq. The Postmaster plugin uses the zen_contact_reborn plugin to let people subscribe to a newsletter, then a site owner can maintain a subscription list and create a newsletter and send it to the subscribers.

Does this sound like I’m on the right track to allow subscriptions to future articles from my blog site? Should I download both the Zem_Contact_Reborn plugin and the mem_postmaster Postmaster Revamp plugin?

Last edited by Keepital (2013-09-07 22:07:47)

Board footer