Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#2197 2013-02-18 13:17:28

roughnecks

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

Good day,
i have a git clone for MLP and today i pulled from it and found a lot a changes; i’d like to ask a question.

commit e3aed2642b1715839ede91163ad027eeabb6f179
Author: Stef Dawson <commit@stefdawson.com>
Date: Sun Feb 10 15:44:44 2013 +0000

Remove compiled plugins from source tree. Their presence merely adds confusion. Plugins will be manually packaged into the zip for official releases.

Sorry, but, what zip are you talking about? Won’t git have the .txt files to install plugins, anymore?
How am i supposed to use the source files? Just copy the .php into my webserver like the “textpatern/..” stuff?

Now, i saw that, since my last pull…

plugins/sources/l10n.php | 38 +-

that ^ was updated
In my plugin section i see a 4.5.2 version of it… do i need to update or have to wait for an official release? Isn’t it official?

Thanks

#2198 2013-02-18 13:56:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

roughnecks wrote:

what zip are you talking about?

The git tree houses the source code only now, not the compiled plugins. The reason is that the compiled plugins aren’t “source code” as such so it puts extra burden on me to:

• bump the version number
  • update the docs
  • package up the plugin(s) as .txt files
  • commit all files to git

Arguably the docs should be done at the same time (ahem), but to do all those steps for every commit I do that alters the l10n and gbp_admin_library plugins is time overhead I could do without.

So what happens now is that those steps are only done for official releases (available from my site or txpforge), not for in-development features and fixes that are in the git repo.

If you want to try out such plugin code then by all means:

• Backup your database/filesystem.
  • Open the .php file(s) from the /sources folder.
  • Copy the code between BEGIN PLUGIN CODE and END PLUGIN CODE markers.
  • Visit Admin->Plugins in your Textpattern site, click to edit the plugin code.
  • Paste the source over the existing code and Save changes.

(EDIT: or use ied_plugin_composer: the 1.00 version allows you to upload .php files directly to replace existing plugins. I’ll upload a newer version of the composer later today because there have been a few fixes since I last uploaded a copy in September)

The version numbers and docs may not tally up until I ‘catch up’ and make an official release, but the code will be the latest in-development version so you’ll be able to test the new features and fixes to provide valuable feedback for me.

Hope that clears things up.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-02-18 14:00:44)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2199 2013-02-18 14:19:15

roughnecks

Hey Bloke, hi :D

Let’s summarize a couple of things:
links

txpforge <— This is the official reference (?) So, why does it links to “Homepage: http://txp-plugins.netcarving.com/plugins/mlp-pack” which is dated 2011 if i am correct: i assume netcarver was the first developer, still informations and link should probably be up-to-date.
The file sections of txpforge has a “mlp-4.5.2.20121204.zip” release: the git repo has newer files: which one should i follow?

About your blog, i can’t even find the page about MLP in the plugins/ directory at “http://stefdawson.com/sw/plugins”: maybe today is not my day :-)

The textpattern plugins page is outdated too, as far as i can see: Multi-Lingual..

Ok, last ones:
git

There are two git repository about MLP and google seems to like better the old one:
netcarver-one
Bloke-MLP-one

I know google is not a problem of yours, still i was puzzled by this situation. Looking for correct informations about MLP seems to be an impossible mission. The only place i am sure about, is this forum.

And sorry for the rant: i just hope MLP can improve.
Greetings

#2200 2013-02-18 14:50:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

roughnecks wrote:

txpforge <— This is the official reference (?)

Uhh, it was. Then Graeme (who set it up) and Steve (the original author of the pack) moved on and I took over, shifting the source code to github for (my) ease of development.

What we really need is to sort the whole mess out and as you say make sure all the links work.

I don’t have an MLP section on my site because I just haven’t got round to doing it. I hosted the latest couple of downloads of the official pack zip file there simply because I lost my txpforge credentials and also haven’t fixed up textpattern.org properly: as you noted, the info there has started to get old, I’ll try and update that later today.

As of today:

• The most recent development version is on my github page.
  • The most recent “official” version (albeit with a few bugs that have since been fixed in the github repo) is the one linked from txpforge and the opening post of this forum thread.

A further spanner in the works is Textpattern 4.6.0. When development of that moves on a little I’m hoping that MLP can actually be re-engineered in a more robust way using some new core features we have planned. That will hopefully make it less of a hack and more of an actual plugin. All speculation right now but I’m hoping we can gradually phase out the current MLP and start afresh with something more sustainable and powerful. As soon as I have more information on that I’ll post it.

In the meantime we’ll see about updating the info on txpforge to make sure it points to both the development version and the current ‘official’ version, plus put some of the details from these recent posts about how to use the different versions. Maybe Els or maniqui could help me out here as I’m pushed for time this week (pretty please?) For the time being I’ll try and make sure that becomes the de-facto place for all things MLP. When I finally get textpattern.org ready and 4.60 is released, that will probably become the official place for the new version and we’ll pull the txpforge MLP down, leaving “official releases” on textpattern.org and “development” on github.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-02-18 14:54:37)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#2201 2013-02-18 14:54:45

roughnecks

Thanks Bloke, have a nice day.

#2202 2013-02-26 14:29:29

wornout
Website

How can I show more that article title, section and author in mlp article list?
For example add a custom field…

Last edited by wornout (2013-02-26 14:30:08)

#2203 2013-03-02 09:59:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

wornout wrote:

How can I show more that article title, section and author in mlp article list?

You mean in a public-side article list? Don’t you just use <txp:article_custom> with a form or container? Must admit I’ve not done it for a while.

#2204 2013-03-04 16:51:25

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

hi

i just placed a facebook og:url tag in the header and used the txp:permalink in there. that did not work, the permalink did not include the language “suffix”.
guess mlp only does modify the permalinks in the body area?
worked my way around with if_language & rah_replace, but wanted to report this behavior..

<meta property='og:url' content='<txp:permlink />' />

#2205 2013-03-04 17:08:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jens31 wrote:

the permalink did not include the language “suffix”. guess mlp only does modify the permalinks in the body area?

Interesting, thanks for raising this point. It seems that permalinks don’t get the language marker at all regardless of where it appears on the page. I hope that’s not a bug I’ve introduced *panic*.

Can anyone confirm if the <txp:permlink /> tag ever included lang markers? I suppose it should or else you wouldn’t be able to direct someone to the language-specific URL if you’re not using a scheme that includes the ID in the URL.

I notice that if you follow a non-designated language URL then it serves you the page in the last visited language, or the default/browser language if you’ve never visited. If you have a lang switcher on the page it’s only one more click to switch to the native version but it’d still be better if the permlink was correct in the first place. Hmmmmmm.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-03-04 17:09:02)

#2206 2013-03-04 17:19:33

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

hi bloke

i just made the test:

<txp:article><txp:permlink /></txp:article>
<txp:article><a href="<txp:permlink />">test</a></txp:article>

the naked permlink fails, the <a href=""> gets manipulated.

#2207 2013-03-04 18:44:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jens31 wrote:

the naked permlink fails, the <a href=""> gets manipulated.

Now that’s strange! Thanks for testing. I’m going to have to investigate that one.

#2208 2013-03-05 15:47:49

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

i think mlp doesnt manipulate the permalinks internal, like it probably should.
that leads to another problem, i do have with another plugin.
http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=271134#p271134
cheeech. tell me, if i can support you anyhow..

Board footer