Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-02-26 22:14:12

joebaich
Website

Sarah Belle Bridal

Just finishing off Sarah Belle Bridal. Textpattern and Zurb Foundation. Much of the content is wildly verbose but I am working on that. Would not have chosen some of the images in the home page random series either. Both issues complicated by other factors.

I like parts of Foundation very much. Other parts are flaky though. I opted to use Flexslider instead of the issue Orbit slider for instance.

I am looking for a way to have the Sarah Belle Bridal title block(Slabtext jQuery) appear more gracefully.

#2 2013-02-27 00:32:22

jstubbs
Website

Re: Sarah Belle Bridal

Very nice work Joe! How did you manage to get the accordion on FAQ to stay closed? I thought at least one item was always open.

#3 2013-02-27 04:48:23

joebaich
Website

jstubbs wrote:

Very nice work Joe! How did you manage to get the accordion on FAQ to stay closed? I thought at least one item was always open.

Thanks for the kind words, Jonathan. I didn’t do anything in particular to start with the accordion all closed other than to use bog standard TXP tags and logic

<txp:article sort="posted asc" limit="999" wraptag="ul" class="accordion" break="li" active_class="active"> <div class="title"><h5 ><txp:title /></h5></div> <div class="content"><txp:body /></div> </txp:article>

which doesn’t apply the class ‘active’ to any of the elements until the first one is invoked, so they all start closed. The example Foundation accordion has the ‘active’ class hardcoded to the first element, so it starts open but you can toggle it to closed to have all elements closed.

#4 2013-02-27 04:55:47

jstubbs
Website

Ah! I have similar code on the Solborg site, but I missed that “active” example. Thanks for the tip!

#5 2013-02-27 09:02:06

RedFox
Website

At first sight: professional made site … with a liitle touch of exclusiveness but in no way glossy … nice job, sire … :)

[edit]
I forgot … I really like the use of the large images … and for once I even like the use of text-shadow (maybe photoshop) … ;-)

[edit]
I myself am using the Goldilocks Approach”:http://goldilocksapproach.com/ but the devs are on a very long holiday I think, so maybe I’ll have a look into Foundation:“http://foundation.zurb.com/” too.

BTW Joe … can you give more details about what you appreciate and doesn’t using Zurb’s ‘responsive’ system?

Last edited by RedFox (2013-02-27 09:48:00)

#6 2013-02-27 09:17:55

carlahearne
Website

Quick question, how did you get the nice URLS (/gowns/type-of-gown)? It’s something I’ve been trying to figure out for my own site but not getting on too well with it..

#7 2013-02-27 18:38:44

joebaich
Website

@RedFox Thank you for the kind comments.

Text shadow is just CSS3, the text is courtesy of Typekit. It’s all text, no images.

I liked the Goldilocks Approach too and was looking forward to further development. However, the folks at Typecast who were/are developing it were surely very busy getting their Typecast App ready for prime time. Just as they were doing that, they were acquired by Fonts.com, so it’s likely that their priorities have changed somewhat. This spurred me on to get into Bootstrap and Foundation.

I prefer Foundation, it has embraced SASS whereas Bootstrap has taken up LESS. For me COMPASS/SASS is a killer combination. I know that there is a SASS version of Bootstrap but its by a third party enthusiast. I like the large number of useful classes Foundation generates, they are appropriate and easy to use for the most part. The grid system is well thought out and flexible. Being stuck with only a twelve column version is a bit limiting but there are plenty of other grid systems to use in its place if required. I particularly like the way the Modular Scale is delivered. It delivers harmonious enough looking Typography quickly. Sure, one has to come back and tweak it but it saves so much time.

There are parts of Foundation I don’t particularly like, Orbit for instance, but none of that is terribly important because one doesn’t have to incorporate any particular module. It can be left out of the build very easily. The top menu system works well enough but is not bulletproof. It falls over on resizing if it has too much content i.e numbers / size of navigation links.

@carlahearne I don’t have a special url scheme, it’s standard Textpattern preferences permanent link mode ‘section/article. The TXP tags that generate the top navigation scheme output a section link where there is a single article like “About SBB” but just a section title for a section with more than one article, as in the “Gowns” section, with individual article links in the dropdown. All that is thanks to Els who has documented lots of examples to use as a basis for that kind of approach. Els plus Foundation = heap good medicine.

Last edited by joebaich (2013-02-27 18:44:43)

#8 2013-02-27 18:55:52

els

Hehe Joe, thanks for the exaggeration ;) I’ve been trying to use Bootstrap for a while but I only seem to be good at messing it up, so yesterday your post inspired me to download Foundation. My first impression of it is that it will suit me much better than Bootstrap. So thank you!

Edit: forgot to say that I like the site too!

Last edited by els (2013-02-27 18:56:45)

#9 2013-02-28 01:37:37

jstubbs
Website

SASS and Compass are indeed a great combination – I tried it out for the first time with the new TXP Tips, also using Espresso. I agree with Joe – Orbit is a bit weird in that if one turns off the timer the whole thing stops working, and top-bar is buggy at lower resolutions.

Not sure about others, but editing settings on settings.sass and app.sass resulted in many errors but seems to be a case of fiddling around until it starts working.

Compass.app is also worthwhile if you don’t want to fiddle around on the command line.

#10 2013-02-28 12:13:50

jelle

Hi Joe,

nice work buy a heads up: Flexslider is not working in Google Chrome. I’m using version 25.0.1364.97. The slider and it’s controls show up but it simply doesn’t slide. No reaction when I click the controls.

No error output whatsoever.

Regards,
J.

#11 2013-02-28 19:00:39

joebaich
Website

jelle wrote:

Hi Joe,

nice work buy a heads up: Flexslider is not working in Google Chrome. I’m using version 25.0.1364.97. The slider and it’s controls show up but it simply doesn’t slide. No reaction when I click the controls.

No error output whatsoever.

Hallo Jelle, Thank you very much for the heads up. It leaves me perplexed because FlexSlider works absolutely as intended on my Chrome Version 25.0.1364.99. I checked it on both Mac and Windows versions just to be sure. Grasping at straws here, but the Rackspace Datacenter was having major issues yesterday and the day before (26 & 27 Feb) with the cluster that houses the site; intermittent non availability and latency problems. I barely know what all that means but it’s not good and that the site wasn’t behaving well. Very grateful if you, and anyone else who has a recent copy of Chrome at the ready, could take a look and let me know.

Most grateful for your help.

#12 2013-03-01 00:57:45

jstubbs
Website

Running Chrome 26.0.1410.19 beta on Mac it works ok. Cool on hover loading of the controls by the way! I did notice that when moving forward or backwards, the footer menu moves too (Bridal gowns etc).

Board footer