Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2013-02-14 17:06:00

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Textpattern would be more popular if??

whaleen wrote:

…the yellow was blue.

??

…. texted postive

#14 2013-02-14 17:10:29

bici
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

OK, so the general feeling is that Textpattern would be more popular if more people knew about it and the documentation (online and books) made it easier to learn for newbies. I think we also need some product evangelists to help raise awareness of us. Basically, people to blog about Textpattern. I only came here because Jon Hicks blogged about it back in the day.

agreed. … “documentation made it easier to learn for newbies”. It needs a breakout article in the right venue. Not sure which magazine or blog. perhaps the .Net Magazine from England? .net is the world’s best-selling magazine for web designers and developers

…. texted postive

#15 2013-02-14 19:26:43

towndock
Website

whaleen might have been joking, but I’ll make a blasphemous comment here in Textpattern land:

I loath Textpattern mustard yellow.

For years I’ve quickly changed the admin theme after every Textpattern install, making mustard yellow into blues or greys.

But I love Textpattern. It has always been the CMS that makes the most sense to me. It is relatively easy to design for, and no matter what the challenge there always seems to be a way to make it happen with Textpattern.

We all have theories on what keeps Textpattern “hidden”. From a cruel marketing perspective, Textpattern doesn’t even show up. For many, the list of available CMS is Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal. And all the others.

A new book(s) on Textpattern really will help with perceived legitimacy.

The availability of templates is a huge issue. While many of us don’t use templates often, choosing to design an original appearance, the fact remains that a lot of sites get deployed with an off the shelf template. Even those of us that design unique sites, often may lean on a template as the basis of that design. The end product may look entirely different, but the core template made development that much easier. Current templates (not years old design concepts) are few for Textpattern. It hurts. And it is a challenge to cure. Template creators want to sell them. And thus, Wordpress seems to draw more attention for template development than perhaps all other CMS combined.

Meanwhile, the very useful new default theme for Textpattern by Phil is a great addition. It alone is a great building block for site development.

#16 2013-02-14 19:54:15

whaleen
Website

towndock wrote:

whaleen might have been joking, but I’ll make a blasphemous comment here in Textpattern land: I loath Textpattern mustard yellow.

:)

I was joking but part of me thinks there is some truth in that joke.

I really love the theme that Phil put together and am really happy he is part of the team. I’ve mean’t for some time now to find and replace all the yellow references in his theme with a matched-weight greyscale color. Not for the sake of being blasphemous but simply for the sake of clients who want their “back office”, as they say, branded. I sport the yellow loud and proud on my personal sites.

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

#17 2013-02-14 20:28:45

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hmmm. Interesting. Maybe I should provide some ‘drop in’ alternative colour schemes going forward. I’m struggling through the jQuery UI integration at the moment but I’ll see what I can do to modularise the colourways after that’s done.

Same for the front side theme, which is actually based on my (grey) dev framework so that’d be a doddle.

#18 2013-02-14 20:30:40

bici
Website Mastodon

Sample themes would definitely help popularize textpattern

…. texted postive

#19 2013-02-14 20:33:33

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve just collaborated on a new theme (minimum) – keep them coming and i’ll try to help out where I can.

#20 2013-02-14 20:34:56

whaleen
Website

philwareham wrote:

Same for the front side theme, which is actually based on my (grey) dev framework so that’d be a doddle.

Wow! You already have that. The grey version. I had a thought once that a grey version ought to be included in the core and the option to choose from thumbnails on install which admin template should be used:

• Give me TXP Yellow
  • Give me bland, I’d rather choose my own colors if any / I’m an fussy minimalist.

#21 2013-02-14 20:35:11

bici
Website Mastodon

ps any progress in being able to add a custom Logo to the back end admin? (i would post this in the other forum but custom search by google is down)

…. texted postive

#22 2013-02-14 20:36:38

whaleen
Website

@philwareham Do you keep your grey dev framework anywhere I could nab it from by chance? Github?

#23 2013-02-14 20:48:03

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@whaleen

It’s in a private GitHub, since a couple of items are licenced (one of the fonts and the Machform software). But I’m thinking of spinning my customised Machform off into a separate private repo and removing font so I can make this framework public. It does rely on Sass and Compass quite heavily too though.

#24 2013-02-14 22:15:40

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

I’ve taken the practice of extending Hive and overridden the main txp-header borders and shadows to use rgba and black+alpha instead of explicit colors. After which changing background becomes very easy job;

/*!
 * Inherited header coloring.
 * The main header's border and highlight
 * colors are inherit from the main background.
 * The appearance of the bar can be changed
 * by altering the background gradient.
 */

.rgba .txp-header
{
	border: 0;
	box-shadow: 
		0 0.15385em 0.23077em rgba(0,0,0,0.15),
		inset 0 -1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.1),
		inset 0 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,0.15);
}

.rgba .dropdown
{
	border-right: 1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.1);
}

.rgba .dropdown:first-child
{
	border-left: 1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.1);
}

.dropdown a.dropdown-toggle
{
	text-shadow: 1px 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,0.1);
	color: inherit;
}

.rgba .dropdown-menu
{
	border: 1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.15);
}

After that you can change the background color to anything with a single line of a definition:

/**
 * Hollyhock Pink.
 */

.pink .txp-header
{
	background-image: linear-gradient(#e8b2d3, #db95b7);
}

I then add a class representing the color variation to the body element. You can find the full source code to all that from ModernizeTextpattern repository.

The ending results look something like this.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-02-14 22:16:38)

Board footer