Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2013-01-20 08:19:30

gour

Re: [feedback] What's wrong with Textpattern (~7 years later)

Els wrote:

Using the various category tags…you can use the attribute section="yoursection" (and link="1"). This will produce links according your permanent link mode…

Thanks a lot. That’s what I was asking for. ;)

You can also have a look at the plugin gbp_permanent_links.

Heh, another plugin to be put on my new list.

#14 2013-01-20 19:22:39

gour

colak wrote:

Sections are used for presentational purposes.

As far as I understand (just finished reading this article) sections are used to mimic site’s structure. Am I correct or do I miss something?

If you wish to have a multi-level navigation, the best way is to use categories/sub-categories

But the limit is that there are no sub-sub.categories, right?

#15 2013-01-20 19:44:24

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

sections can mimic site structure but they can also mainly be used for presentational reasons. Regarding sub-sub-etc-categories, as far as I know there is no limit.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#16 2013-01-20 19:50:50

gour

colak wrote:

sections can mimic site structure but they can also mainly be used for presentational reasons.

I understand about site structure, but haven’t got ‘presentational reasons’ yet…some more reading ahead of me. :-)

Regarding sub-sub-etc-categories, as far as I know there is no limit.

The above mentioned article says: “You can even assign an article to more than one Category (up to two)” ?

#17 2013-01-20 19:59:25

uli

gour wrote:

The above mentioned article says: “You can even assign an article to more than one Category (up to two)” ?

Yup, two is the core’s limit. There’s – tadah, another plugin for your list – rss_unlimited_categories, if you want to lift up this limit a little. But AFAICT there are restrictions regarding the use of certain (core?) tags (can’t tell you more, I’ve not worked with that plugin).

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#18 2013-01-20 20:35:32

gour

uli wrote:

Yup, two is the core’s limit.

Thank you.

There’s – tadah, another plugin for your list – rss_unlimited_categories, if you want to lift up this limit a little. But AFAICT there are restrictions regarding the use of certain (core?) tags (can’t tell you more, I’ve not worked with that plugin).

I already have this plugin on my list, but wonder if there is some plan to extend that limit in the core?

#19 2013-01-21 06:42:34

colak
Admin

gour wrote:

I already have this plugin on my list, but wonder if there is some plan to extend that limit in the core?

There is a lot of discussion about it as it might break backwards compatibility. Some of us use the second category to perform some conditional tests.

In my case I use it to separate my NGO’s work from the rest of the posts but still have it appear under the same category. In this page, all entries are under the category 2012 but our events use the second pulldown.

I’ve been using txp for about 8 years now and I have to admit that I wanted a lot of things from it in the beginning. After I understood how it works I found its power very efficient and I now mostly use back-end plugins such as: rss_admin_db_manager, smd_where_used and adi_notes. For the front end I try to limit my self with rvm_css, spf_js, rah_external_output, the_video, zem_contact_reborn, zem_redirect and act_if_mobile.

Yiannis
——————————

#20 2013-01-21 08:30:40

gour

colak wrote:

I’ve been using txp for about 8 years now and I have to admit that I wanted a lot of things from it in the beginning.

Heh, it looks like general noob-pattern. :-)

Otoh, if some plugins has to be used very often, it might be a signal to implement some of their functionality in the core?

After I understood how it works I found its power very efficient and I now mostly use back-end plugins such as: rss_admin_db_manager, smd_where_used and adi_notes. For the front end I try to limit my self with rvm_css, spf_js, rah_external_output, the_video, zem_contact_reborn, zem_redirect and act_if_mobile.

Nice collections of plugins for my new todo list. ;)

Last edited by gour (2013-01-21 08:30:58)

#21 2013-01-21 09:20:06

gour

colak wrote:

I’ve been using txp for about 8 years now and I have to admit that I wanted a lot of things from it in the beginning. After I understood how it works I found its power very efficient and I now mostly use back-end plugins such as…

After browsing through forums archives, it looks that everything can be done in txp even with just category/sub-category and without subsections, but, of course, I still wonder how?

For instance, I’m taking care of the site for one non-profit organization where there is the following structure:

home - blog - archive - contact us - about

All the blog posts fall under one of several categories (3 or 4) and so far tagging is not used, but after moving to txp we’ll do it.

Homepage shows the most recent post (announcing ‘fresh’ event) from some of the available categories (not all).

I believe this should not be hard to achieve.

Now I wonder about ‘archive’ page which has 3 ‘subsections’ pages which give the list of all downloadable mp3 files available for public, so the URL are like:

domain.tld/archive/section{1,2,3}

and it looks as the most natural way to do it would be to have subsections, iow. ‘archive’ section and then section{1,2,3} subsections.

What would be the ‘natural’ way to do it without using extra plugins which might not work with all txp tags?

#22 2013-01-21 18:41:23

els

gour wrote:

What would be the ‘natural’ way to do it without using extra plugins which might not work with all txp tags?

The natural way would be categories, but since you can’t assign more than two to an article, I can think of two other ways to achieve this: use custom fields instead of categories and call the articles by the content of their custom fields (but without plugin you wouldn’t get the desired URL structure), or use articles with the same title as the ‘categories’ and inside the article put the code to call the articles with a corresponding custom field (which implies you would also need custom fields). Your URL structure would be /section/article-title, where ‘article-title’ is your ‘category’ and the page would display all articles in this ‘category’ (c.q. custom field). I’ve never done something exactly like this and it would need some serious thinking, but I’m quite sure it can be done.

#23 2013-01-21 18:50:33

colak
Admin

gour wrote:

I guess the answer would depend if you are doing a site for yourself or for a client.

If it was your site, you could do anything you want as you would know how to produce the tags to call your content, but if it is for a client, I would keep it simple: Articles in categories and as few sections as possible. This will made it easier to maintain and troubleshoot as your client’s requirements evolve.

Yiannis
——————————

#24 2013-01-22 11:37:52

merz1
Website

The discussion is so old we should create a yearly competition for the best info graphic story. Here’s a new one:

Textpattern is a submarine.

Sections are physically separable and created because of good reasons (Sections are not funny).
Categories are organizational units (bathroom here, bathroom there).
Tags tell you short & precise outside what’s inside a drawer or behind a door (fire hose box, 1st aid kit).

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

Board footer