Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-12-12 15:20:33

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I'm writing a Textpattern book - what should it include?

Hi. I’m Pete, I’ve been using Textpattern since v4.0.3.

Back in September, I decided it was time for me to write a book on the use and abuse of Textpattern. I’m hoping it will be ready for release/sale in Q4 of 2013. I’ve purchased a domain and installed a holding page — the laws of the Internets dictate that I have to go ahead and do this now, no turning back. No, sir.

My intentions are to write and release the book for sale electronically in late 2013. I am also hoping to have a traditional paper publisher on board for the print rights. Forum members will have preferential pricing on the electronic version which will be made available without DRM or related angst-inducing. I haven’t yet finalised what will happen to the proceeds of sales, but I expect to a) funnel money back into Textpattern development somehow and b) retire to Monaco with a big-ass yacht full of bikini-clad hotties. Or something.

Seriously, though, I’ve had the Textpattern Solutions book for some years and I don’t want to reinvent the wheel with a glorified update/point release. I’ve been doing background tasks and research for a few months, so I’m building some ideas of what the book could include — but, frankly, my opinion doesn’t matter one jot: what do you want from a new Textpattern book? You’re the person who’s going to buy it, so you should have a say.

I’d really appreciate hearing your suggestions for subjects to include and avoid. The scope of the book is not yet wholly defined, so this is an ideal time to share your ideas. I can’t promise I’ll get everything covered, of course, but knowing what’s important is very useful to me.

Thank you in advance for your input.

#2 2012-12-12 20:03:47

els

Re: I'm writing a Textpattern book - what should it include?

Hey, that’s great news, Pete! I’m anxious to see the suggestions that will be posted here. (I have none at the moment, because I haven’t had the time yet to give it a thought. But I’m sure that time will come.)

#3 2012-12-12 20:29:05

mrdale
Website

I think the key question is that of target reader. Which level of expertise? Textpattern is pretty open-ended in some ways. So you could conceivably do a beginner book and an advanced book, maybe even an intermediate book too.

#4 2012-12-12 21:57:27

tye
Website

Just of the top of my head, examples of how to create various sites (blog, corporate, photogallery, ecommerce etc) or site sections (Photo gallery’s, guest book, blog/news etc)

#5 2012-12-12 22:35:46

springworks
Website

mrdale wrote:

I think the key question is that of target reader. Which level of expertise? Textpattern is pretty open-ended in some ways. So you could conceivably do a beginner book and an advanced book, maybe even an intermediate book too.

That’s what I thought too.

Personally, I would be interested in an intermediate/advanced level book that gave interesting and creative examples of how to harness the power of the native Textpattern tags.

Also, an up-to-date guide to writing plug-ins would be really useful.

#6 2012-12-13 07:05:05

bici
Website Mastodon

springworks wrote:

Personally, I would be interested in an intermediate/advanced level book that gave interesting and creative examples of how to harness the power of the native Textpattern tags.

I agree. A more advanced book is my preference

While the original needs updating i think it can still be useful in meeting the needs of the beginner who wants to explore Textpattern. Especially as a bloging tool. No need to go over that ground.

…. texted postive

#7 2012-12-13 08:30:42

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

This is all very useful info, thank you. Truthfully, the scope and level of my book has, right now, not been pinned down. I consider myself an experienced Textpattern user and administrator, but I can’t currently read/write PHP — so plugins are out of my depth. I’m handy with tags, I like to think, but I don’t know how my knowledge compares with other people.

I’ll give this some though and brainstorming.

All input is appreciated -thank you, again.

#8 2012-12-13 09:03:33

Destry
Website

That’s a great undertaking, Pete! I think this notion of more published literature for Txp has been bubbling under the surface in more minds lately.

For example, something I’ve dropped hints about here and there in the social channels is the idea of creating a series of short ebooks; each authored by a different person, and combined making up a complete set. Each ebook would focus on a specific topic area and thus audience (or audience caliber). I think there are many advantages to this approach (over a single full book) in today’s climate:

1. People are now mobile device users, and ebooks are more popular than ever. Most people will buy an ebook over a print for cost and convenience (though some will by both if the ebook exists).
  2. Related to #1, more and more small tablets are hitting the market (and doing very well), and one of the prime use of these tablets is reading. Popular grouping and distribution tools around digital reading make ebooks a very attractive choice.
  3. Ebooks don’t require a publisher, thus more freedom to move forward and distribute. (Editing should still be required, but that can be worked out.)
  4. A series of smaller ebooks across multiple authors is a lot easier for each individual than one comprehensive book by one person. (Even the first Textpattern book was written by several authors.)
  5. Readers can buy the ebook they want, for the topic they need or interests them, rather than buying the whole enchilada that may be skipped in large amounts.

There’s even a cool service (can’t remember the source at the moment) that will take short written works and produce slick mini-manual print versions. So even if print was desired over ebooks (or in addition to) by some people, there would be a way to produce print versions without having to deal with a publisher. Revolutions are afoot!

In any case, I intend to write one of these ebooks, and I was thinking of using my Txp Building Blocks articles (quite popular even today) as a basis for the first introductory one. I had a couple of people in mind for others in the series too (editorial connections). If you find you don’t go down the full book road, Pete, by all means consider doing one of the ebooks, because I think they’ll happen regardless.

#9 2012-12-13 09:15:43

Destry
Website

Okay, I just saw that other thread where you talk about your digital publishing business and mention doing an ebook. Brilliant minds think alike. :)

So, instead of a single book, why not a series of focused mini-books as I was talking about?

#10 2012-12-13 09:21:57

Destry
Website

Btw, a certain smd_ebook plugin is in the works. Maybe that could have a play in things.

#11 2012-12-13 10:03:38

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Whilst eBooks are all well and good, nothing beats a good printed book IMHO, so I’m glad Pete is considering that option. Maybe that’s my print background influencing me.

Wonder if Kevin Potts has some helpful guidance to give on your new book, since he’s the only member of the Textpattern Solutions book still on the scene.

#12 2012-12-13 10:12:43

springworks
Website

I like your thinking Destry. I think the idea of a series of shortish, clearly-focussed ebooks about Textpattern development could be really useful. Where each one is something like TxP Tips on steroids, with different books perhaps focussing on separate areas of development. From the top of my head:

• building different navigation schemes (based on section/category/article) plus benefits and examples of each
  • efficient re-use of code with forms and pages
  • making all content editable for clients (use of hidden sections for common content site elements that don’t fit in to main site hierarchy)
  • integrating external services (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google Maps, etc.)
  • ecommerce applications
  • community sites (self-registration, membership, user-submission of content, etc.)
  • writing plugins (best practices, security issues, etc.)

I’m up for getting involved in this in whatever way I can. I’ve got a background in print design and publishing before I got into web design too.

Pete, I think we’ve met before in the pub after an OxMUG meeting many moons ago, when I used to live in Milton Keynes and you were still at Sophos. If I remember correctly we both had bought lifetime accounts at TextDrive and it was shortly after Joyent came on the scene. Anyway, if I can be of any help, please me know.

Board footer