Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#2101 2012-12-03 11:54:42

ellenb

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

Hello Els,

ellenb, if you have the original (Textpattern’s) txplib_db.php, it’s expected to get errors; you really need the MLP file. It should work if you perform the upgrade as described, so it seems a good idea to try again. Make sure you upload all MLP files, as listed here. The way I always do it (steps may be in a slightly different order but I know for certain that this works) is described here.

Thanks for your help.

Alright, I tried again, moved the backup of my web to the new server and followed your instructions (http://txpforge.org/projects/mlp/wiki/MLP_Upgrade_Instructions#Upgrade-MLP-only). Everything fine until copying config.php into the new textpattern folder. It actually causes my login page to become blank and show nothing. I double-checked database name, password etc. and they’re definitely right. If I remove config.php I am able to start a new TXP setup. So the problem stays the same. My config.php doesn’t seem to like the modified txplib_db.php … Any other suggestions what I could do about this? I really have to make this website run within this week.

#2102 2012-12-03 13:26:15

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ellenb wrote:

Any other suggestions what I could do about this?

That does sound strange. Without access to the site in question it’s difficult to diagnose what’s going on. Can you perhaps send me a link to the site and/or a login so I can see if I can figure out what’s up? May need to poke around in the file system too, but we’ll worry about that if I can’t fix it with a login alone. Thanks.

lonelytraveller / hildebruns

Eek, that’s not good. Confirmed behaviour on my MLP install too. Will try and fix it tonight and get a new version out. Sorry for the delay.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-12-03 13:27:27)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2103 2012-12-04 01:41:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

New version released. Changes:

• Fix for category create (thanks lonelytraveller / hildebruns)
  • Added MLP article sort order preference (thanks jstubbs)
  • Removed lang switcher in footer because it looks weird and breaks some themes
  • CSS fix to improve table width (thanks jstubbs)

Please continue to report issues either here on txpforge.

Els: would you please update the txpforge download info. I’ve misplaced / forgotten both my login and password since I last logged in over two years ago! Any assistance reminding me what my user name might be or which e-mail address I used so I can reset my password would be an immense help 8o) I can then close some of the old 4.3.0-related issues down that no longer apply. Thanks.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#2104 2012-12-04 08:49:41

els

Bloke wrote:

Els: would you please update the txpforge download info.

Done. And I sent you an email.

#2105 2012-12-04 11:06:42

roughnecks

Hello,
can i safely upgrade to MLP v4.5.2.20121204 and textpattern-4.5.3 from the respective previous versions?

Thanks

#2106 2012-12-04 11:08:29

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

roughnecks wrote:

can i safely upgrade to MLP v4.5.2.20121204 and textpattern-4.5.3 from the respective previous versions?

Yes, there’s nothing in Txp 4.5.3 that affects MLP. I shouldn’t have put the Txp version number in the filename — a late-night error on my part, sorry. I’ll change that for the next release.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-12-04 11:08:48)

#2107 2012-12-04 11:10:03

roughnecks

Great, thanks Bloke.

#2108 2012-12-05 10:48:20

ellenb

Can you perhaps send me a link to the site and/or a login so I can see if I can figure out what’s up?

Could you provide me with a e-mail address? Don’t want to post login here … ;)

Thanks very much for your help!

#2109 2012-12-05 17:02:43

element

Word of advise. Do not upgrade to 4.5.4.

“Sorry, the form could not be submitted. Please try again later.”
I get this after updating to 4.5.4 (from 4.5.2) with MLP. Downgrading to 4.5.2 fixes it.

Last edited by element (2012-12-06 13:06:22)

#2110 2012-12-06 17:16:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

element wrote:

Word of advise. Do not upgrade to 4.5.4.

Very strange. I upgraded to 4.5.4 yesterday and I can save existing renditions fine from the Write panel. Can you please outline the steps you have taken to get this error message so I might try and replicate it. Does it happen on all articles? Only on ones that already exist? Any particular language or all languages? Can you create new articles? In all languages? Have you done a complete, full (CTRL-F5 on Windoze) refresh to make sure your browser is seeing the latest files? (although I don’t think anything major happened between 4.5.2 and 4.5.4 in terms of what MLP uses).

Also, any supporting info/evidence such as your Admin->Diagnostics info and any errors thereof would be handy, thanks. If you wish to send stuff to me privately instead of allowing everyone to see your site info, then feel free.

#2111 2012-12-06 17:26:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

all

Regarding ellenb’s problem, I was graciously allowed access to the server in question and the problem stems from the latter half of the modified get_prefs() function in txplib_db.php. The session_start() line has an ‘@’ sign before it which hides any system errors. Unfortunately in this case, the server was running PHP’s “safe mode” (largely regarded an oxymoron, btw) and the white screen of death was because of this error:

internal_error "session_start(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect.  The
script whose uid is NNNN is not allowed to access /tmp owned by uid Y"

Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module

If anybody else hits this wall (to verify it is the problem you can remove the ‘@’ from in front of the session_start() and refresh your page) you have two choices:

1. Complain to the host and ask to have safe mode revoked.
  2. Alter php.ini to change the session.save_path parameter to point to something other than /tmp (e.g. /path/to/textpattern/tmp) that your Textpattern installation does have write access to.

Option 1 is the preferred method. Hope that helps anybody else who comes across this. I’m in two minds whether to remove the ‘@’ in the official pack so at least such errors won’t be masked in future.

#2112 2012-12-06 19:06:34

element

Bloke wrote:

Very strange. I upgraded to 4.5.4 yesterday and I can save existing renditions fine from the Write panel. Can you please outline the steps you have taken to get this error message so I might try and replicate it. Does it happen on all articles? Only on ones that already exist? Any particular language or all languages? Can you create new articles? In all languages? Have you done a complete, full (CTRL-F5 on Windoze) refresh to make sure your browser is seeing the latest files? (although I don’t think anything major happened between 4.5.2 and 4.5.4 in terms of what MLP uses).

Trust me I reloaded the page as much as I could because I didn’t believe my eyes when I first saw it. It happened when I upgraded both TXP and MLP to the latest versions. Somehow the article didn’t get saved but did get saved. What I mean is that I didn’t get the “Article updated” message when you click Update, the text on the admin changed but didn’t change on the frontend.
Using the MLP cleanup wizard and reinstalling MLP via the wizard made the changes visible on the frontend. I’m guessing it’s a cache issue.

All I know is I’m happy it works as advertised in 4.5.2 again.

Board footer