Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-11-29 15:43:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Laid Back Dogs

Thanks.

By way of an update, it appears that yab_shop didn’t have a Country list option. It was on Tommy’s todo list but I’ve just done it anyway. In the process I’ve added the ability for yab_shop to (optionally) offer a City select list too. I use the same one from the core’s Timezone prefs setting which I know some people have said is missing a few entries depending on which version of PHP is installed so time will tell if this feature is actually of any use.

I’ve also replaced the copyrighted images with ones from stock.xchng so thanks to them, and Tye for putting us in that direction.

I’m now experimenting with smd_bio’s ‘widget’ feature to see if I can get mem_form to play nicely with it. All good fun.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-11-29 15:45:03)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2011-11-29 23:09:39

els

Bloke wrote:

Yikes, it’s meant to be optional. I’ll check that.

Ah, my apologies, I completely missed that it was optional… and that is hard to miss, so entirely my fault!

Option a

Buy direct without a laidbackdogs account. If you supply an e-mail address then that’s used in the PayPal form and your delivery address is pulled from your PayPal account (hence the only required field is e-mail).

You are right. It’s that simple. So my registration wasn’t even needed, please remove it if it’s in the way.

In the process I’ve added the ability for yab_shop to (optionally) offer a City select list too.

Not that I need it, but how would one enter a city that is not in the list?

(And one small thing: if you enter a wrong login or password, you’re just shown the login page again, without any error message. Don’t know if that’s intended.)

Last edited by els (2011-11-29 23:11:08)

#15 2011-11-29 23:21:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Els wrote:

How would one enter a city that is not in the list?

Ahem, one doesn’t :-( I put it up there to test it and forgot to remove it. I realised on the way home from work that list was a daft idea: the city list I displayed was merely the list of Timezones — nearest cities for the major world timezones — which is a pretty stupid thing to display given there are infinitely more actual cities to which people might want to have a book posted. I’ve reverted to a city text box as it should be.

Just chalk that one up to Stefpidity.

if you enter a wrong login or password, you’re just shown the login page again, without any error message.

Drat, must have accidentally lopped off the error message part when I rejigged the page. Will restore that, thanks for spotting it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#16 2012-11-29 11:10:59

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote:

smd_image_selector (alpha) … It really needs a proper rewrite using jQuery (I’m only halfway through that) and I’ve also been given the green light to take ownership of another plugin (currently almost orphaned) that I intend to integrate with this one to kick the crap out of Txp 4’s image handling workflow. Just need time to sit down and do it.

1. Where might one find this “alpha”?
  2. What is the status of kicking “the crap out of Txp 4’s image handling workflow”?

#17 2012-11-29 11:22:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote:

Where might one find this “alpha”?

On my dev server but it’s so alpha that I broke it and haven’t got round to fixing it. Yaaah nuts.

What is the status of kicking “the crap out of Txp 4’s image handling workflow”?

Pending the revival of the above plugin, it’s on ice. Also because we may end up improving things in the core in this department yet. Undecided.

#18 2012-11-29 12:55:27

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

Undoubtedly, but for those of us without infinite funds, is Opera mobile emulator a reasonable substitute? Anyone any experience with it?

It is usable, bearing in mind that it is the Opera rendering engine and not WebKit / Gecko (there is somewhere an emulator for Firefox for Android that runs on Win/Mac/linux, I lost the link though – or maybe mozilla corp pulled it). This page has an emulator for Firefox OS.

But emulators only bring you so far: testing your layout. You actually can do the same by loading your website in a narrow window in your desktop browser of choice. The real problem is interaction design. For a very basic simple example: clicking/tapping on links with fatty fingers – remember that a mouse pointer is a very precise device.

Btw, look for the refurbished section on the Apple Store, you can get an iPod Touch 4th generation for as little as ¥10000 (about 100€). Ideal for testing.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#19 2012-11-29 14:26:08

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

browserstack is a good option for testing (though it’s a paid-for service). The mobile OSes are only emulators, but the desktop ones run on a virtual machine (so you actually view IE10 running on a Windows 8 machine for example).

As Philippe notes, there’s no substitute for having the actual mobile device in your hands though, hence why a lot of open device labs are springing up.

{Edited to repair link. – Uli}

Last edited by uli (2012-11-29 14:56:59)

#20 2012-11-29 23:44:52

tye
Website

I’ve been using Resizer for a while for quick layout checks – comes in handy

Board footer