Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-10-16 10:30:48

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Article id in footnotes on write page

It would be good if the article id number of a created article was displayed as part of the footnotes of the write page (where we currently have ‘Posted by’ and ‘Last modified by’). Its such a handy bit of info to know, and having to jump back to the articles list page to find it is quite annoying.

I know if can be found in the URL, but that’s not helpful to my clients.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-10-16 10:32:39)

#2 2012-10-16 11:09:52

tye
Website

Re: Article id in footnotes on write page

Yeah – I think it used to be at some point – it was helpful

#3 2012-10-16 11:49:53

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

Its such a handy bit of info to know … I know if can be found in the URL, but that’s not helpful to my clients.

This is interesting. What do they do with this information once they’ve learned about this rather arbitrary number? Where’s the user story in here?

#4 2012-10-16 11:56:21

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Depends really – linking of articles via id, custom fields for related articles, etc. – all manner of uses. Since it’s about two words of text (all we’d need is “id: xxx”) I felt it could quite easily go in the footnotes without making the page look any busier.

#5 2012-10-16 14:29:14

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

wet wrote:

This is interesting. What do they do with this information once they’ve learned about this rather arbitrary number? Where’s the user story in here?

Well… :) On our site those numbers are fought on by some academics who want to have their texts published on what they consider to be ‘key’ (numerically speaking) posts. Check out the texts :)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2012-10-16 21:10:01

gomedia
Plugin Author

philwareham wrote:

Depends really – linking of articles via id, custom fields for related articles, etc. – all manner of uses. Since it’s about two words of text (all we’d need is “id: xxx”) I felt it could quite easily go in the footnotes without making the page look any busier.

Considering how essential IDs are – I’ve never understood why TXP admin has been so coy about revealing them for new created articles, images etc etc.

It’s such a tiny piece of information, why not display it as matter of course? Anything that smooths the path of (TXP) life gets my vote.

adi_recent_tab is very useful in this respect, because it remembers the recently access articles/images etc & their IDs. So when one is sitting in, say, the Forms tab, the ID of what’s just been added is to hand.

Board footer