Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-10-14 09:27:49

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

[contrib] RFC: downloadable Textpattern virtual machine & TXP-hosted test drive

I was thinking about the barriers to entry for prospective users of Textpattern. It dawned on me that a straightforward way to have people try Textpattern in a risk-free way, besides the opensourceCMS (which is still on v4.4.1, by the way), might be to have a pre-built, streamlined (small), Linux virtual machine download that can just be snagged and run. Perhaps make it available for Virtualbox, VMWare, Parallels, etc. Maybe even as a torrent to spread the download resources.

Alternatively, having the test drive situated on a Textpattern server instead of opensourceCMS would provide both useful diagnostics as to its use, and also remove the risk of having an old (and in this case a known insecure) version as the first thing prospective users see.

Thanks for reading. I’d love to hear your comments.

Edit: yay! I got thêta status!

Last edited by gaekwad (2012-10-14 10:00:34)

#2 2012-10-14 16:10:59

hakjoon
Website

Re: [contrib] RFC: downloadable Textpattern virtual machine & TXP-hosted test drive

I use vagrant for my local development and was thinking of making my Textpattern recipes available. It’s kind of rough atm but it mostly works.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#3 2012-10-14 18:02:51

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: [contrib] RFC: downloadable Textpattern virtual machine & TXP-hosted test drive

hakjoon wrote:

I use vagrant for my local development and was thinking of making my Textpattern recipes available. It’s kind of rough atm but it mostly works.

Looks interesting – and another pro-point for VirtualBox, too.

Board footer