Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-10-04 09:24:12

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Twitter Bootstrap - Textpattern-ised

Off topic slightly, I think it’s be great if someone forked Twitter Bootstrap on GitHub and did a Textpattern-ised version of it – would be a useful asset. I know some of you have used Bootstrap as a base for Textpattern powered sites so it’s not a great stretch.

Also: Zurb foundation (which I actually prefer to Bootstrap).

#2 2012-10-04 10:23:25

milosevic

Re: Twitter Bootstrap - Textpattern-ised

+1 for Zurb foundation

But, what do you mean with to make a Textpattern-ised version? adapt the TXP default forms to fit Zurb classes? That will be nice.

I will take a look to it if found a little of spare time.

<txp:rocks/>

#3 2012-10-04 10:40:41

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Yes. I mean creating a simple Textpattern theme using the vanilla CSS and page structure provided by those frameworks. No changes to their CSS code at all.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-10-04 10:41:10)

#4 2012-10-04 12:41:04

mistersugar
Website

I’m using Foundation to redesign mistersugar.com, still using Textpattern. Will hope to show my work over the weekend.

#5 2012-10-04 14:28:03

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

+1 on Phil’s suggestion.

I would also like to know any methods any of you might have used regarding the resolution dependent images proposed in responsive design.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2012-10-04 15:58:55

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@colak

Current situation:

1. Use SVG wherever you can (for things like logos and graphics), with a PNG fallback via tests with Modernizr for browsers that don’t handle SVG. This also gives the benefit of nice crisp images on HiDPI screens.

2. For photos and other images not suited to SVG, provide them at the maximum resolution they would ever expand to for your grid column. Accept that currently they’ll look a bit rubbish on HiDPI screens at fullwidth (currently only latest iPad and Macbook Pro Retina users would notice anyway, so let’s get a bit of perspective there) , and that mobiles will be loading the images in a data sizes larger than they need to be.

3. Hope that W3C, the browser makers and the various working groups agree on a decent way of serving images at various resolutions depending on media query and screen resolution. Either via a new HTML tag or a new image format.

For point 2, you could serve your images at twice maximum resolution, which means that they would look fab on HiDPI screens, but that would make the mobile data size unacceptably large for it to be practical. I’d rather be kinder to the mobile users than worry about HiDPI users getting amazing detailed images.

None of the SaaS, JavaScript or PHP solutions for responsive-optimised image serving I’ve explored (and I’ve explored a lot) work very well in the real world.

#7 2012-10-05 01:14:34

jstubbs
Website

My personal site is based on Foundation and uses no forms, just a plain default page template. I’ll see if I can package something for GitHub this weekend if time permits.

#8 2012-10-05 04:21:11

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

hi Phil

Thanks for the detailed explanation there.

Sometimes I miss the days when the problem was just how to tweak the design for explorer:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#9 2012-10-06 12:40:39

Nuggs

mistersugar wrote:

I’m using Foundation to redesign mistersugar.com, still using Textpattern. Will hope to show my work over the weekend.

How are you liking it? I started out using Foundation for one of my personal projects but ended up switching to boostrap(A client I have wants bootstrap in the near future so using this as a time to get used to the framework.).

One of the things that stood out was the lack of browser support(ie8 and lower). Having a hard time wrapping that around my head for a site which may be accessed by people using ie8 or lower. heh.

#10 2012-10-13 10:45:40

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote:

Off topic slightly, I think it’s be great if someone forked Twitter Bootstrap on GitHub and did a Textpattern-ised version of it – would be a useful asset. I know some of you have used Bootstrap as a base for Textpattern powered sites so it’s not a great stretch.

Small world, I just started work on:

Both empty as of this post timestamp. I haven’t ever done an admin theme before, so I’m starting with that — woah, Nellie! That was not a smart move. I am waaay out of my depth, but learning, and somewhat short of spare time, but it’ll come.

#11 2012-10-13 11:06:30

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@gaekwad

I’d suggest starting with the front-side theme first. Admin side HTML is still in flux for 4.6 (as the admin code was in such a bad state at 4.4.1, we did a partial rewrite for 4.5 release with the view to finishing the rewrite at 4.6).

#12 2012-10-13 12:06:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote:

I’d suggest starting with the front-side theme first. Admin side HTML is still in flux for 4.6 (as the admin code was in such a bad state at 4.4.1, we did a partial rewrite for 4.5 release with the view to finishing the rewrite at 4.6).

Thanks, Phil – appreciate the advice.

Last edited by gaekwad (2012-10-14 14:34:09)

Board footer