Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-09-01 10:09:03

zero
Website

More logical order

Not really a feature, more a modification request for the Edit Image page.

As it stands now, it appears that “Create thumbnail” is the last heading on the page and refers to everything below it. This is even more so in the Hive theme. A more logical order, imho, is:
Edit image
Image name
Category
Alternate text
Caption
Create thumbnail
Upload thumbnail
Replace image

Last edited by zero (2012-09-01 13:47:30)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2012-09-01 13:00:14

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: More logical order

You can rearrange them with mozilla -moz-box-ordinal-group css property in firefox, see this example. Just wait for box-ordinal-group being implemented in other browsers. :)

Edit: actually works in webkit browsers too.

Last edited by etc (2012-09-01 13:03:18)

#3 2012-09-01 13:48:39

zero
Website

Interesting Oleg! Hope the other browsers implement it soon.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#4 2012-09-01 14:17:56

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

zero wrote:

As it stands now, it appears that “Create thumbnail” is the last heading on the page and refers to everything below it.

It’s a label for set of fields, separated from rest of the items. Just to clarify, you do see that there is a distinct box, a fieldset? If not, the thing might need some work to support different monitors and eyes better. For me it doesn’t look much of header at all.

Anyways, in my opinion the replacement / upload fields should be right after the image it replaces. Even better of course would be if the thing wasn’t all vertical list of fields. For instance drag-n-drop replacing would be amazing (dropping over the image or clicking it to replace) and thumbnail creation really shouldn’t use some awkward numbers, but an actual cropper.

Yes, image management is far from perfect in Textpattern. I’ve recently started writing articles on the rah site you guys get those plugins from, and for the love of cow-chicken, adding images has been major pain. It’s way too awkward and takes way too long.

I’m developer so I don’t get first hand experience of publishing myself, but god. I totally flipped to the editor today. Normal process for adding images to those blog posts is:

• Writing an article like happy champ, while trying to not forget to change the status from live to draft.
  • Needing an image.
  • Go to the menubar.
  • Browse to Content, Images, middle click (opens to new tab).
  • Select the new tab.
  • The page has massive table with images, browser shutters and has problems rendering. Gets you nice content shifting for days.
  • Upload full sized image using the old school upload field. Browsing files in a small dialog is fun. Wait the page to reload while it freezes when uploading bigger files.
  • Editor popups up. Wait the HTML structure awkwardly short things out while waiting for the “upload” successful message to appear that is blocked by the page.
  • Scroll to bottom of the page and find the “upload thumbnail” field. Upload a thumbnail.
  • Now you need to find the ID of the image which is nowhere to be seen. I get it from the image location.
  • Now go back to the article editor you have open in that other tab. Hope you don’t accidentally click to wrong one or click the close button. It’s nice how both the preview of the blog post and article editor have the same title in the tab.
  • Scroll to the image field which is below all the custom fields and Textile options and guides.
  • Write in the ID.

And now you notice there is no way to actually embed the image to the article — not without some code. I write in <txp:output_form form="image" /> where I want the image to appear (the form contains a little snippet that calls images tag and does some offset calculations to support multiple).

At this point I laugh frantically and wonder how do people do this every single day.

Last edited by Gocom (2012-09-01 14:19:01)

#5 2012-09-01 15:06:44

zero
Website

Gocom wrote:

It’s a label for set of fields, separated from rest of the items. Just to clarify, you do see that there is a distinct box, a fieldset?

Yes I see fieldset etc. I know it is a label and I know it is not really a heading, but it looks like a heading, especially in Hive. So for a new user there can be cognitive dissonance till they try it out, use it and get used to it. My suggestion is one way to clarify at a glance. Phil can probably see a better way to make it all clear without confusion.

8< snipped

Gocom wrote:

At this point I laugh frantically and wonder how do people do this every single day.

lol. We get used to it and it only takes a jiffy to do but yes, it definitely could be much better!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer