#25 2009-06-26 07:06:46

ultramega

Re: rah_expanding // Dynamically growing textareas

Stever, maybe you could try hpw_admincss

#26 2009-06-26 17:12:31

stever

Ultramega, thanks for coming back.

Had a look at hpw_admincss, bit of a newbie at this and not really sure what should be in the admin.css to cover the simple change I want. Sounds good for the future, does it work with 4.08. I only really need to change the one field for the moment, maybe play with full customisation later.

Is there any help anywhere about how to customise the admin side you know of?

Thanks
Steve

#27 2009-06-26 17:35:36

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Sorry, but I don’t really understand why you are asking this in this plugin topic, but anyway…

stever wrote:

What I would like to do is increase the text area of Custom Field 1

By default the custom fields are text inputs not textareas. Auto growing won’t work with inputs, because inputs can only handle a one line etc.

But you could change the input into textarea, possibly by hacking the TXP code (article.php), or by transforming it with jQuery etc. Also note that there is a great plugin called glz_custom_fields

stever wrote:

Is there any help anywhere about how to customise the admin side you know of?

Next upcoming TXP 4.2.0 holds admin theming.

#28 2009-06-26 20:10:09

stever

Hi,

Yes sorry about that.

Built one site with TXP, TXP is great. Bigger learning learning curve than others I have used to date and still finding my way around. I actually couldn’t find an answer to increasing the size of the custom fields in the forum anywhere else. On reflection, maybe not the best place to ask this question but auto_growing seemed too good to be true, thank you for your explaination detailing the differences between inputs and textareas.

Hacking TXP is beyond my skill level at the moment. Had a look at glz_custom_fields, looks super and will look a little deeper for my next site.

I actually followed the example from the textpattern solutions book for my meta_desc using custom fields, the book, TXP forum, Textbook etc. have been invaluable. Although the example is good it’s hard to work with and I have been struggling filling the meta descriptions to all my pages using such a small field. I should maybe looking at another method of working with meta data as opposed to trying to change the admin side.

Thanks for your help.
Steve

#29 2009-06-27 06:15:19

ultramega

Stever, with the admin css plugin you could propably change any parts of admin. Look the source of needed admin page, find the id-hook say for custom field and then style it with new stylesheet named “admin”. But it is true that it won’t help you a lot because custom fields are single line inputs. You can just make it wider with admin css, if you make it taller, text still runs horizontally out of the box.

Could you use expcert field for longer descs?

#30 2009-06-27 06:37:38

stever

Ultramega,

I see a few of the meta plugins have the option of using the excerpt field for the meta description. Thanks for the advice, I will take a look at this option. My only concern about this is what happens to a blog type install when you have used the excerpt field for meta_desc but then you want to start using conventional excerpts for the blog itself?

#31 2010-11-11 03:42:31

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

It’s that time of the year. It doesn’t necessarily beat christmas, but it’s still cool to have updates. Yep, rah_autogrowing_textarea v0.4 is out, living the dream I once had. Changelog:

• Added: now prompts users if required fields are left empty when creating new rules.
  • Interface improvements: removed unnecessary table-layouts, moved all CSS lines to <head>.
  • Changed: plugin type to the newer Admin only.
  • Changed: tries to run the installer only if there are no preferences available.
  • Changed: now uses different method for building list of available events.
  • Changed: shows events/panels label instead of name in the listings.
  • Changed: preferences pane shows multiedit controls only when something is selected. As seen in rah_post_versions.
  • Removed default values from the installer SQL.

More info and downloads

#32 2011-06-05 16:16:39

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Version 0.5 has been released, bringing TextPack support and small interface changes. Changelog:

• Added: now includes uninstaller that uses plugin-lifecycle callbacks, drops the plugin’s tables from the database when deleting the plugin.
  • Added: informs the user if updating database records failed.
  • Added: language string support. Now the interface can be translated to different languages using TextPacks.
  • Added: “Options” link to the Plugins pane.
  • Added: rah_ui class selectors to the elements, <tbody> and <thead> containers to the list table.
  • Changed: Improved JavaScript based multi-edit script.
  • Changed: During first install, set the database table’s default charset to UTF-8.
  • Changed: Only accept POSTs when saving changes. Requests send as GET are ignored.
  • Changed: shortened the admin-side step names, and renamed step form to edit.
  • Removed: replaced rah_autogrowing_textarea_check() function with new method of checking if the plugin is up-to-date. Now uses simple version number to confirm the status.
  • Removed: Some markup, left-over inline styles and pane heading.
  • Now requires Textpattern version 4.2.0 or newer for full feature support.

More info and downloads

#33 2011-07-26 11:06:26

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Released version 0.6. Changes:

• Added: CSRF (session riding) protection using Textpattern’s new core functions introduced in v4.4.1.
  • Fixed: only adds default definition rows to the database when plugin hasn’t been installed before, or when the old installed version was v0.4 or older.
  • Changed: set temporary version number after installer has been run. Prevents possibility of running the installer twice.
  • Now requires Textpattern version 4.4.1 or newer.

More info and downloads

#34 2012-08-08 08:18:22

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Version v1.0 released. This update re-brands the project as rah_expanding, changes internals completely and adds Textpattern v4.5 compatibility. Changes:

• Changed: Now affects all admin-side textareas by default.
  • Removed: Dropped preferences panel and extra options. Slims the installation significantly.
  • Replaced Chrys Bader’s Auto Grown Textarea JavaScript solution with a fork of Jack Moore’s Autoresize.
  • Dropped support for IE6, IE7, IE8, Safari <5.1, Chrome <14, Firefox <12 and Opera <12.
  • Dropped PHP4 compatibility. Now requires PHP v5.2 or newer.
  • Is now compatible with Textpattern v4.5.0.
  • Rebranded the project as rah_expanding.

More info and downloads

#35 2012-08-29 14:58:06

maniqui
Website

An ideal companion for those using rah_expanding on Write tab: hit Ctrl+S and get the article (ajaxly-, if running Txp 4.5.0 or newer) saved.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#36 2012-08-30 07:16:28

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Rah_expanding v1.1 is out. This release tries to address certain Chrome related issues relating to strange text-wrapping when the page initially loads. List of changes:

• Fixed: Text flowing workaround for Chrome. Tries to improve the text wrapping of the initial textarea contents.
  • Changed: Replaced jQuery.bind method with jQuery.on.
  • Now requires Textpattern v4.5.0 or newer.

Due to JavaScript changes from v1.1 onwards the plugin will require Textpattern v4.5.0 or newer.

More info and downloads

Last edited by Gocom (2012-08-30 07:16:49)

Board footer