Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2012-08-05 12:18:50

kevinpotts

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern 4.5.0 Beta released

One very strange thing I am noticing is significant lag in articles updating using hak_tinymce.

If I make a change to a static file on the server (CSS), or to a form or page, I can see changes immediately. If I edit an article, changes take 10 minutes or more to actually go through. This delay is caused by hak_tinymce; if I disable the plugin, changes are instant.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a plugin issue?

(I’ll log in a note in that plugin’s respective thread as well.)

UPDATE: Actually, it’s not a time issue, but that I have to click “Save” twice for changes to register.

Last edited by kevinpotts (2012-08-05 12:27:59)

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#74 2012-08-05 13:59:10

kevinpotts

Another interesting related to the Ajaxness of the Article screen … a checkbox option created with glz_custom_fields produces an error “Sorry the form could not be submitted. Please try again later.”

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#75 2012-08-05 16:20:22

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

kevinpotts wrote:

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a plugin issue?

A plugin issue. We expect a few inevitable incompatibilities with plugins for the write tab due to the new plugin types and AJAX adaptations.

#76 2012-08-06 07:00:03

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Minor nitpick: in the set up process, last step, the final button looks slightly odd: screenshot

(height: 3em is the reason. fwiw)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#77 2012-08-07 03:16:47

gomedia
Plugin Author

I think I’ve found some issues with the Write tab & article posted/expires timestamps.

1) If you try to create a new article with Expires timestamp filled in, the article is saved with a blank Expires timestamp.

2) If you edit an article which already has Expires set & attempt to set it before Posted, a green “Article posted” message is displayed & the Expires timestamp is ignored. Shouldn’t there be a warning?

3) If you edit an article which already has Expires set & attempt to set the Posted timestamp to be after Expires, a green “Article posted” message is displayed & the Posted timestamp is saved. The database now has an article saved with Posted > Expires timestamps. Shouldn’t it be an error?

Using r4046.

Last edited by gomedia (2012-08-07 06:08:44)

#78 2012-08-07 17:20:28

maniqui
Website

Tinkering (just a little) with TXP 4.5 Beta, on a multi-site config alla maniqui-style (will post about this later… will I?).
Installation process went pretty smooth.

So far, everything seems to be working fine. Great, beautiful work Thank you, Textpattern devs!

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#79 2012-08-08 02:17:41

gomedia
Plugin Author

Here’s a strange one. I have a TXP 4.5 (r4046 install), with no timezone set in Admin Prefs.

If I create an article, the Posted timestamp is 23 hours behind my local server.

From Diags:

Server TZ: Australia/Melbourne
Server local time: 2012-08-08 12:10:24
DST enabled?: 0
Automatically adjust DST setting?: 0
Time zone:  (-46800)

Is this expected behaviour? If, so why a 23 hour difference? As you can see I’m in a GMT+10 timezone. And I’m not sure what the -46800 is telling me (GMT-13?).

I normally set an explicit timezone as a matter of course, but I thought I’d better mention this scenario.

#80 2012-08-08 09:41:05

Destry
Website

Since realizing there is no annoying jump-to-the-top-of-editor problem after saving in Write panel anymore — THANK YOU — can we get this added to all of the panel editors too, to be consistent. Styles especially could really use it.

I know, I know, all the hipsters want to use external editors and files on the server, etc, but, like I was saying before, the default context of this product is out-of-box, and that’s how people will first be using the tool to get familiar with it. Thus that’s where you should be first looking at making improvements.

Note I’m not railing devs here, just making it clear before someone jumps in with the expected “I don’t use the Style editor anyway…” blah, blah, blah. Well, if nobody uses the style editor, then why is it even in the system? Because people do use the style editor. It makes it easy in many cases, certainly at first. And it could be easier to use still. :)

/* Mom signing off */

#81 2012-08-08 10:48:04

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry, in the future yes, maybe. Future releases will have modal dialogs and things like that, it seems. But even for compatibility reasons, hopefully that doesn’t happen in Textpattern v4.5, but in 2013. The next release is in feature-freeze. The ajax saving is pretty rough at the moment and isn’t completely issue free even and keeping it in as few places as possible for the time being is probably for the best.

Thing is, adding that to everywhere will need quite a bit of work. I have to say that I wouldn’t use the ajax saving for everything just to be consistent, but aim to use appropriate tools for different tasks. Some panels and situations will likely never get that ajax saving thing unless all issues like performance, caching and consistent view updating can be solved.

For instance on those Presentation panels, the script response would literally replace the whole page when saving an item. After all it would have to replace the sidebar as a whole to get updated sorting for it and such. This then would cause issues and compatibility problems with plugins.

Plugins that are reliant of the sidebar’s list would literally have to inject themselves to the script response and re-initialize on each save again. Which, well, sounds like a beg for a memory leak to happen to be completely honest.

#82 2012-08-08 12:50:20

Destry
Website

Thanks, Gocom. I figured technical factors were in there somewhere. I didn’t think it was a new feature, since it was done in the Write panel, which is why I mentioned it now.

Just so people understand me…

For myself, I use CSS files on the server and in the editor as it suits me (I’m a switch hitter), and if I could write articles in a different editor too without having to copy/paste the text back into Txp, I would do it. In fact, I do copy/paste article for collaborative projects like the magazine, even though it’s not ideal.

(Though I would personally use the Write editor solely if we had configurable custom field boxes for textareas, in which case the UI would be better for creating more chunked content, and thus better suited to adaptive content planning. But that’s 4.6, maybe, hopefully.)

Usually when I toss things in like this about UI behavior, it’s with the new user in mind, and thus the default system. Since starting the doc wiki in 2004 I’ve been a shooter for the new user, and give a plug now and then about what context needs kept in mind. That way there’s at least some noise (joining that of a few other user champions here) for the usability side of things, whether it goes down that way or not. In these cases I hope the technical parts—be they constraints or best practices—work themselves out eventually among the programmers.

Like you said, maybe 2013.

#83 2012-08-08 22:52:43

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Just a bit of a niggle, and this has probably been the situation since the beginning of time but I have never noticed it particularly before this newer version of “Hive”. It seems that every page has a page title except for the “Write” page. Any reason for this?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#84 2012-08-09 02:47:28

mistersugar
Website

Downloaded the nightly and easily and quickly installed Textpattern 4.5beta and set a few preferences in the 5 minutes before I had to leave work this afternoon. Piece of cake. Thanks for your great work all these years!

Board footer