Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-08-04 15:08:29

Nate Mc

Txp 5 landing page/ redesign

Ive been using txp for some time now, and i firmly believe it is one of, if not the best CMS out there! Therefore I propose a new idea of a landing page for the new Txp 5. I’m not sure if this has been proposed before, however i think it would help modernize Txp and make it more noob friendly.

Check out the link for a picture of my new idea, and let me know what you guys think.
http://browneyedesign.co.uk/images/txp/landing-page.jpg

The icons are from Icon Finder— http://www.iconfinder.com/search/?q=iconset%3Acustomicondesignoffice5
They only have a licence for personal use however, I’m sure there are great icon designers out there who may be willing to design a few.

Last edited by Nate Mc (2012-08-04 15:08:47)

#2 2012-08-04 16:03:12

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Txp 5 landing page/ redesign

Oh, you mean a dashboard. There are a bunch of plugins to let you install a configurable dashboard/welcome page. You may want to play with them and try building your mockup, and then releasing the code or a new plugin.

I personally like to land directly on write page, but recognize that for management reasons such a summary page could be useful (I use jmd_dashboard for a client’s site).

#3 2012-08-05 01:49:39

agovella
Website Twitter

Actually, going straight to the Write page is only good for personal blogs.

If Textpattern claims to be “a flexible, elegant and easy-to-use CMS”, then to fulfill that claim, you should land on a screen that better meets the needs of most “CMS” users.

Most CMS users are more likely to need to edit something old. Second order would be to add something new. Third would be to check stats.

To accomplish this with minimal extra dev effort and minimal disruption to existing TextPattern users, the landing page need three things:

1. Access to Articles
A. List of most recent or most popular Articles; each links to that Article’s edit screen.
B. Search field; searches entries; displays results on Articles screen.
C. Link to Articles screen

2. Prominent link to “Add new article”; links to Write tab

3. Visitor logs
A. List of most common referrers, or
B. List of most popular Articles, and
C. Link to Google Analytics (or whatever service they use, if any)

4. Most recent comments
(If there are any. If there are no comments, then this block wouldn’t appear.)

5. Prominent links to Images, Files, and Links
(Conditional, like Comments. If there aren’t any, then hide these blocks.)

#4 2012-08-06 16:25:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

roll your own with smd_tabber? :-) and use the advanced Pref to set your tab as the landing page.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-08-06 16:25:58)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer