Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-08-03 00:25:47

pompilos
Website

A string (still) not localizable: "changetype"

Hi, developers.

In the new 4.5.beta I found a string that is not in the list of localizable strings in the RPC server (I’m the translator to the Spanish). It appears in the page “Forms”, right column at bottom, when clicked “With selection…”. The option “changetype” should be added to the RPC Server in order to be translated to other languages.

Thanks.

#2 2012-08-03 04:41:27

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: A string (still) not localizable: "changetype"

Thanks. Fixed.

#3 2012-08-03 12:49:13

pompilos
Website

Hi, wet.

I found some inconsistencies in the same page Forms.

1. At the right column, the string “Misc” of the menu of forms is not localizable.
2. At the center, by clicking the selector “Type (required)” appears a list of types of forms that is not localizable.

Finally, a suggestion. I’ve allways seen that the conspicuous string: “With selected…” is confusing for newbies. In the translation to the Spanish I’ve used “Acción a aplicar…”, i.e., something like the English “Action to apply (or execute)…”.

Thanks.

#4 2012-08-03 13:34:34

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

I don’t know, but a phrase as “with selected” is very clear to me. To me that is, in English. Granted, when it comes to other languages it may not be directly translatable, or it might be hard to find a common appropriate phrase. “Action to apply” on the other hand isn’t clear in English, not me that is. It doesn’t mention to what the action applies to, making it sound as it’s a generic emergency button that sinks the sub and affects the whole panel.

#5 2012-08-03 21:11:24

milosevic

Pompilos, I’m spanish native like you but I agree with Gocom. I feel more comfortable with “with selected…” and its literal translation to Spanish. Perhaps it is not the best text in both languages but considering the interface space and the behavior (selection options before this expression) for me is clear and less confusing than “action to apply”.

…its just and opinion. I guess you are more expert in language than me: I dont speak Greek, only Spanish :-)

Last edited by milosevic (2012-08-03 21:14:32)

<txp:rocks/>

#6 2012-08-03 22:07:05

pompilos
Website

Hi, Milosevic, not only Spanish… you can speak some English too, as it is obvious.

Although I am used to the current expression, I have realized that newbies never know what to do after selecting any items, because “Con selección…” or “Con los seleccionados…” are not expressions that invite to click them. I think that in Spanish “Acción a aplicar…”, with three dots after, suggests that the action the user wants to occur can be choosed after clicking that button.

In addition, “Con los seleccionados… Borrar” is a bizarre syntactic construction in Spanish, because it should be “Borrar… los seleccionados”. But obviously the final action cannot appear before the selector.

So, I would give a chance to the new translation, although all that can be only a nonsense of a linguist.

Cheers.

#7 2012-08-07 04:40:36

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

pompilos wrote:

1. At the right column, the string “Misc” of the menu of forms is not localizable.

I’ve added an entry to the lang server.

Board footer