Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2012-08-01 15:24:50

Destry
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern 4.5.0 Beta released

I just updated my local site and I’m really liking the admin theme improvements—and everything else I’ve yet to fully appreciate. I’m now a lot less fired up to design a new admin theme because they all look so nice. :)

I do agree with Gocom, though. I think the system messages are not visible enough. I understand the space-saving decision to put them at bottom, but I actually rely on the “Article saved” cue all the time, so it was immediately apparent when it didn’t stand out to me. I can imagine what Gocom is saying might work well… making the colors more bold so that even in peripheral vision the green, orange, and red are more discernable. That would probably work and they could stay at bottom fine.

But, here’s another thing. I notice that the ‘Article saved’ message, for example, doesn’t go away with any scrolling or after a short period of time. I come and go from my computer A LOT when editing, and I don’t always save every time, especially if I’m intervening with the kids, or in the writing groove and don’t want to lose my place of focus… I’m first getting the words out, etc. But it can be confusing when the Article saved message is perpetually displayed, when in fact I haven’t saved it since the last time. You see what I’m saying? The persistant message is no longer in context to what the actual situation is, which is unsaved changes exist. Article saved messages need to disappear after a few moments, or after some mouse action or hand swipe on the screen, thus leaving no message until the next click of the save button. For other messages, I don’t know. If they’re critical errors, maybe they should remain, which means different messages need different handling on the behaviors.

Just putting it out there.

#38 2012-08-01 15:32:30

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

after some mouse action or hand swipe on the screen.

Press Esc.

#39 2012-08-01 15:47:51

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

re: the alerts. It was always going to be a tough nut to crack – the new AJAX save method means the page doesn’t reload and jump back to the page top (which is good) so the previous methods of displaying the alert message near the top of the page would simply not work anymore. Similarly, fixing the message to page top would not be viable as it would interfere with the navigation elements.

So the only logical position is to fix the message to screen bottom, with a pulse effect that hopefully draws the eye. There are 2 methods to dismiss this message: either by pressing the esc key or by clicking on the close icon to the right of the message alert.

Anyway, I will look into maybe making the colouring stronger, or animating the alert to slide in instead of pulse fade, and see if that helps make them more noticeable.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-08-01 16:27:53)

#40 2012-08-01 16:01:26

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

philwareham wrote:

Anyway, I will look into maybe making the colouring stronger, or animating the alert to slide in instead of pulse fade, and see if that helps make them more noticeable.

+1

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#41 2012-08-01 16:26:04

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

OK, r4039 makes the Classic/Remora alerts more noticeable. I’ll deal with Hive as a separate entity.

This will be in tonights build, not the beta (which is a snapshot at r4033). Of course you can always grab the latest SVN version straight away if that’s your thing.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-08-01 16:26:36)

#42 2012-08-01 17:29:03

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

I agree it would be nice if the alert disappeared after the keyboard is used or something. Currently if you do not dismiss the alert then click Save again you can’t really tell if it was saved.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#43 2012-08-01 18:03:02

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

If you do change the animation, please could you use accelerated CSS3 animations instead of JavaScript? The performance isn’t exceptional on a lower-tier hardware. Please remember that drawing CSS3 decorations can take close to a second (i.e. shadows). In which case the user just sees epileptic shadows, and even in general the animations are low FPS.

The notification’s JavaScript has some slight issues too — or unneeded stuff. For instance the the ESC key is bind run again on each time a message is shown, and to all .close elements, not just to the notification. This causes bubbling.

In other words, the JavaScript used for the notification should be moved out of the theme’s PHP file to textpattern.js. The keyboard closing code could be made universal by attaching it to .close-on-esc class for instance.

I can make a patch for the JavaScript keyboard bind if you want.

#44 2012-08-01 18:42:45

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

I’ve opened issue 237 for the message’s JavaScript issues, keyboard shortcuts and bubbling. Includes the patch I mentioned.

#45 2012-08-01 19:31:01

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The animation on Hive theme is CSS3, I left the JavaScript on Classic/Remora alone as I felt that theme would generally be better suited to lower-end hardware (which might not handle CSS3 at all).

That being said, I’ll review your patch and probably roll it in, so thanks for that.

Just as a side note, I’ll be moving the alert messages out of the theme files as part of v4.6.

#46 2012-08-01 20:28:18

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

Just as a side note, I’ll be moving the alert messages out of the theme files as part of v4.6.

Alert message really do need to be customizable and extendable with PHP, positionable to any location of choosing. It’s huge deal breaking thing for me. Or not me, but the other guys that want permanent, non-rollover message. After you see the Saved item x. message 150-500 times a day, it starts to fucking piss you off. So please, do not integrate and hard-code those messages anywhere.

#47 2012-08-01 21:17:34

zero
Website

Is it just me or does the plugins table no longer show yes or no for Active? I ask because I imported a db into the new beta. Anyone tried installing plugin from clean install?

Edit: just tried it on fresh installation and Active shows no status.

EDIT: SORRY IT WAS ME, I HAD JAVASCRIPT TURNED OFF. REALIZED WHEN TRYING TO CLOSE THE PLUGIN INSTALLED MESSAGE.

Last edited by zero (2012-08-01 21:25:32)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#48 2012-08-01 21:22:30

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@gocom

Add your comments regarding messagepane to issue 233, that’s the best place to discuss.

Board footer