You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2012-07-31 10:18:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern 4.5.0 Beta released

colak wrote:

rvm_privileged v0.4 does not work

I’m surprised by this. In what way doesn’t it work? It seems to hold up for me.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2012-07-31 11:14:56

zero
Website

Bloke wrote:

Bloke wrote:

I’ll put it in place.

Bloke wrote: OK, done in r4036. Will be in the nightly this evening but here’s a preview of the help topic so you can offer wording improvements.

Bloke wrote: EDIT: I assume you’ll ask for one on the Pages and Styles panels now, for completeness, right? ;-)

Thanks. Pages and Styles are self-explanatory, I think, so personally see no need for a help topic. It’s just that there has always been confusion over Forms which is why I first suggested it.

Regarding the help topic wording – Aaargghhh! It’s gobbledegook to me. I’ll post a simpler version later. Someone else might want to do the same.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#15 2012-07-31 11:20:33

zero
Website

Joe, the icons are there on all 3 themes for me. Wet, lang update did it, thanks.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#16 2012-07-31 11:55:30

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@Joe

Can you let me know what browser version/OS version you are seeing the Hive problem on please, so i can try to reproduce it here? Thanks.

#17 2012-07-31 12:33:39

joebaich
Website

Hello Phil,

OS is Mountain Lion. Occurs in latest versions of Chrome (Version 20.0.1132.57), Safari (Version 6.0 (8536.25)) and Firefox (14.0.1). I have just finished installing a new instance from scratch and have the same problem, no background images on the Hive theme.

Update Same deal on iOS (e.g. iPad)

Last edited by joebaich (2012-07-31 12:44:01)

#18 2012-07-31 12:40:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

zero wrote:

Aaargghhh! It’s gobbledegook to me

Hehe, I couldn’t find a more succinct way to describe it than:

Forms are predefined portions of text, HTML, and Textpattern tags that collectively define how content should be formatted and displayed. They are sometimes referred to as “snippets” and are often used to display every article in a list, or every image in a gallery.

but if that’s gobbledegook then by all means edit it for clarity!

EDIT: while you’re at it… :-D

Last edited by Bloke (2012-07-31 12:43:46)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#19 2012-07-31 12:41:37

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@joe

There is no problem with that OS/browser combination (that’s my setup too). Maybe your server has not got the mime type set correctly for SVG files?

Try adding this to your .htaccess file and let me know if it fixes it…

# SVG
AddType image/svg+xml                       svg svgz
AddEncoding gzip                            svgz

#20 2012-07-31 12:53:31

zero
Website

Stef, I’ve altered the first paragraphs of the help topic and I think this is easier to follow. I do not profess to be great at keeping things simple, so readers please by all means improve or alter this so even a dummy can understand it.

———

Form is an unfortunate choice of word that has stuck with Textpattern. It is not a field or series of fields to be completed as is the common meaning — for example a Contact Form or Search Form. In the context of the admin side or back end of Textpattern, the Form is a snippet or chunk of text, HTML and/or Textpattern tags called within a Textpattern tag like so:

<txp:related_articles form="ordinary_list" wraptag="ol" />

In the above example, <txp:related_articles /> is the standalone Textpattern tag, wraptag="ol" is an optional presentational attribute and form="ordinary_list" is an optional attribute too. By calling the Form, the tag is able to output the content precisely as you want it.

The ordinary_list Form itself might be:

<li><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></li>

The result is an ordered list of linked titles. Since this Form outputs a generic list of titles, it could be applicable inside other tags, such as showing 20 articles from the current Section:

<txp:article form="ordinary_list" limit="20" wraptag="ul" />

You may also choose to employ Forms to display repeated content, such as header and footer in your Page templates. This means the content only exists in one place and if you decide to change it, you only need to do it once. Displaying the content from a Form directly is usually accomplished with:

<txp:output_form form="your_form_name" />

Forms can be as long as you wish, for example the Form for a footer might include headings, paragraphs, links and other forms such as ordinary_list

Last edited by zero (2012-07-31 12:55:01)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#21 2012-07-31 12:54:00

joebaich
Website

philwareham wrote:

There is no problem with that OS/browser combination (that’s my setup too). Maybe your server has not got the mime type set correctly for SVG files?
Try adding this to your .htaccess file and let me know if it fixes it…

B I N G O !

That’s what it was. I’ll scold Rackspace and get them to fix the server. Well done on spotting that, Phil.

#22 2012-07-31 12:58:04

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Bloke wrote:

I’m surprised by this. In what way doesn’t it work? It seems to hold up for me.

I’ve no idea why. I posted the issue at ruud’s plugin thread.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#23 2012-07-31 13:08:28

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@joe

I think I’ll put those rules into the Textpattern .htaccess file anyway, they don’t hurt and I’m sure other servers than yours are not going to be configured right too (even though SVG has been a common standard for over 10 years now).

#24 2012-07-31 13:24:04

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

zero wrote:

Form is an unfortunate choice of word that has stuck with Textpattern. <snip>

Thanks for tidying it up. Though I was always thought it best never to start with an apology — a sign of weakness ;-) Maybe we could begin with something like:

In Textpattern, a Form differs from its usual meaning of a series of fields to be completed, such as in a Contact Form or Search Form. Instead, it is a snippet or chunk of text, HTML, and Textpattern tags that can be reused to display content.

and then continue with your text. Dunno if the above opening is any better, but it avoids the leading question of “if they know about this and are apologising for it, why haven’t they fixed it?”

Last edited by Bloke (2012-07-31 13:26:49)

Board footer