Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#145 2012-01-25 15:55:15

/dav/random
Website

Re: smd_admin_themes: Manage, edit, switch and share admin-side themes

Hi Bloke, I’ve done some work ;) first some info maybe useful for the debug:
  • trying to modify the plugin from admin>plug-in>modify i cannot save the changes and the system prompts to me an 501 error…
  • so i compiled again your plugin with the debug option (so i learnt how to build a plugin ;) )
    and I have some log for you.

But since this happened, I have a great suspect: something may be wrong with the permissions of files and folders… gust a guess but no solution (I’m totally new to textpattern :P).
Here some output: for hive theme and for life theme

Thank you in advance for your time
d

Last edited by /dav/random (2012-01-25 15:57:36)

#146 2012-01-25 16:13:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

/dav/random wrote:

But since this happened, I have a great suspect: something may be wrong with the permissions of files and folders…

I concur. I get exactly the same output as you except I also get the following lines at the bottom:

dUnzip2: Returning already loaded file list.
dUnzip2: Creating folder: /path/to/textpattern/theme//hive
dUnzip2: Creating folder: /path/to/textpattern/theme//hive/color
dUnzip2: Creating folder: /path/to/textpattern/theme//hive/color/blue
dUnzip2: Creating folder: /path/to/textpattern/theme//hive/color/default
dUnzip2: Creating folder: /path/to/textpattern/theme//hive/color/green

So, ignoring the fact it’s showing double slashes at the end (no idea why: that bit’s part of dunzip2, not my code), it seems yours can’t make the directories. So first of all, please check your textpattern/theme directory is writable by the server. Mine is set at 755 permissions but it varies from host to host depending on how things are set up.

Second question: are you using v0.28 of the plugin?

oh, and btw, ‘Life’ is not an admin-theme :-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#147 2012-01-25 16:31:53

/dav/random
Website

… you’re so fast!
:P

• Yes my textpattern/theme is 777 … but I guess that maybe the folder for temporary files and for plugins cache has something to do with this (but i previously set them to 777).
  • I’m using the v0.28
  • your “btw, ‘Life’ is not an admin-theme” can shed a light on this problem (I think you’re going to kill me): so for let’s say “regular” theming this plugin in not suitable and I have to do all the work… by hand? copying, alter the forms etc etc… I thought it was a fast way to switch between themes, for the whole site (like “Administrate Themes”). Am I wrong?

sorry and thanks
d

Last edited by /dav/random (2012-01-25 16:40:10)

#148 2012-01-25 16:39:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

/dav/random wrote:

Yes my textpattern/theme is 777

Can’t get much more open than that!

for let’s say “regular” theming this plugin in not suitable and I have to do all the work… by hand?

Correct. Textpattern doesn’t have one-click front-of-house themes yet. You can ease the workload with a plugin. I can’t remember which one is in vogue right now. Might be hcg_templates or mem_templates. Stuart probably mentions which is best to use on the textgarden site.

Sorry I can’t help with this installation thing though. It definitely sounds like it’s server related but I can’t think why offhand. Maybe have a look at your Txp High Diagnostics (Admin tab) and see if anything in there sheds any light on it.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-01-25 16:39:54)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#149 2012-01-25 16:42:31

/dav/random
Website

Thanks indeed!
My first experience in txp community, and looks great! ;) thanks for your time … I’ll go and learn something more about txp.
Thanks again
d

#150 2012-01-29 02:55:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Maintenance release v0.30 is available. While there are no new user features in this version I have taken the opportunity to do a few things to help serve people better in future:

• Removed all compression / decompression algorithms from this plugin and made them into a separate plugin called smd_crunchers
  • Upgraded the algorithms to the latest versions, some of which have improved security features
  • Made smd_crunchers a sort of required plugin for smd_admin_themes. If you do not install it, you can still use smd_admin_themes for creating, editing, and cloning themes, you just won’t be able to install new ones or export your themes to share with others from the interface (you’ll have to do it manually via FTP and an external archive tool)

While this might seem like a backwards step and necessitates yet another smd_ prefixed plugin in your list, it offers a few benefits:

1. The plugin’s about 1400 lines of code shorter
  2. I can keep the algorithms up-to-date without having to release a new version of smd_admin_themes
  3. I can use the library in other plugins — and I have one or two that will need compression types in the near future
  4. Other people can use the library if they wish to offer compression / decompression features without having to rely on disparate PHP extensions being loaded (or not)

You will need PHP5 to use smd_crunchers since the latest version of one of the algorithms does. In light of this change and the library dependence I’ve bumped the major version number of smd_admin_themes, but functionally you won’t notice anything as long as your server meets these requirements and you install both plugins.

Hope that all makes sense.

#151 2012-01-29 22:00:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

D’oh v0.31 / and smd_crunchers v0.11. Forgot to copy across a function from admin themes to crunchers. Sorry about that.

#152 2012-07-17 07:14:34

jpdupont

Last build (3968) with Hive admin theme.
Impossible to edit the style or script files in the smd_admin_theme.
No problem with the classic/remora.
Files are correcly listed.

#153 2012-07-17 08:14:34

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@jpdupont

Not surprising since this plugin hasn’t been updated for Textpattern 4.5 yet. I think Stef’s waiting for me to write a few more bits of CSS first. It will happen soon.

#154 2012-07-17 08:17:18

jpdupont

Thanks Phil !

#155 2012-07-17 09:18:23

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I do have an update available that I did a few months ago that fixes a few bits n bobs. It primarily expands subdir support (which is what is affecting jpdupont and Hive) and has detection of more types of file. Just tinkering with the layout to make it look prettier under 4.5.0, which brings me to…

philwareham wrote:

I think Stef’s waiting for me to write a few more bits of CSS first. It will happen soon.

Ah yeah, have you decide on a decent name for the class="plugin-help" on plugin prefs pages yet? Still not convinced the layout’s quite right as it’s not picking up the paragraph styles / edit-label / edit-value things and they’re being smooshed together / overlapping with the latest css files.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-07-17 09:19:05)

#156 2012-07-17 09:27:15

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Yeah, I’ll be sorting that today. I’m getting rid of .plugin-help and using a more universal .text-column and .plugin-column for a start. They will both be the same width, difference being .plugin-column one can accept form elements like in .txp-edit without them squishing together.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-07-17 09:27:47)

Board footer